I've got a b-52 4x12 cab with a bad speaker. Since I'm broke right now I just moved the speaker to the bottom of the cab and moved a good one up to the 'slanted' half. It sounds better, but still getting some volume loss (duh) and a little tone loss, especially on distortion.

My questions are:

1) am I risking damage to my gear by using a cab with 1 bad speaker? It's wired in correctly, and I AM getting some sound out of it (pulled it out and hooked it up to my stereo)

2) Since I *think* I'm getting some tone loss, I was considering pulling it entirely and changing the wiring accordingly. Is this dangerous? Should I pull 2 speakers (one bad one good) so I can get a 4 ohm cab (or is it 16 then?)

3) The distortion channel has a little bit of 'chop'. It's most noticeable when I play a triad and only happens for the first 1/4 second or so. I just got new power tubes so WTF? Could this be the bad speaker?

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/LS412A_LS412B.html
Ok, dont switch the amp on again until we help you, please.

Few questions:

What amp are you using?
How many ohms in each speaker?
The head is a b-52 st-100A tube amp. The Cabinet is loaded with 4 stock 12" 100W 8ohm speakers. The bad speaker IS in the cabinet, and all wiring is correct, as I said before. The head can switch between 4, 8, and 16 ohms, it is currently running at 8 ohms, to match the cab. I'm not sure, but I think that the speakers are wired series/parallel, which (I think) means that the top two speakers and bottom two speakers are each pared in series, then the two pairs are run parallel.

I have been using the amp for a few months with the bad speaker in already, with no apparent ill effects aside from the sonic difference that the speaker itself was creating. This is not to say that I'm convinced that I'm not pushing my luck, hence my questions
yeah, you COULD do alright with just 3 speakers in the cab. But you've got to do it right. And doing it right well depend on what amp you've got and that setup there. Basically, if you just took the speaker out and wired everything without it, the ohmage would be off and you'd wreck your amp. Depending on what you mean by speaker, "blowing" (something with the magnets vs a ripped cone) the ohmage could already be off in the cab and you're hurting the amp.

There's more knowledgable people than me in here, so I won't try to steal the spotlight, but don't run it till you get it all figured out.

Edit: ^ you seem to already know most of that. But if the speaker cone is just ripped, you're fine on the amp load. It'll obviously sound less than ideal though. If you do end up taking the speaker out. make sure to close the whole in the cab it leaves to keep the air in the cab right. otherwise it'll also throw off the sound.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Aug 28, 2010,
well the cone is intact, and there IS some sound coming from the speaker, which I confirmed with the stereo test. I was thinking the same as you re: the ohm load with the speaker in place, just looking for confirmation I guess.

The next step is to remove the speaker and a/b the sound difference, see which I like better. That's where I throw up my hands, I *think* that I have to pull 2 speakers to create a 16 ohm cab, but since the speakers are 8 ohm apiece, and the cab is rated 8 ohm, I've gotten a little confused.

Still REALLY curious about that distortion problem, BTW. It's like a background, almost electronic crackle that's most prominent with a hard-hit power chord. Honestly, that's the real motivation to pull that speaker, I want to isolate it before I lose my mind!
Well, in that case your best bet would be to wire up just two speakers and wait until you can get a new one, in my opinion there isn't much sound difference between 2 and 3 speakers and it will surely sound better than running a broken speaker.
Just to be on the safe side. Wire up just two of the speakers in parallel and run the head at 4 ohm - or two of them in series and run the head at 16 ohm. Leave the other two disconnected - and tape up the wires so they can't short out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just to be on the safe side. Wire up just two of the speakers in parallel and run the head at 4 ohm - or two of them in series and run the head at 16 ohm. Leave the other two disconnected - and tape up the wires so they can't short out.

I can't stress enough how much I agree with this advice, better safe than sorry and tube amps can suffer some serious damage if the impedance is mismatched.
Quote by Cathbard

or just get a new speaker put in and not have to deal with any of this shit. can find used speakers for cheap to hold you over till you can afford some new ones. why risk doing more damage?
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
or just get a new speaker put in and not have to deal with any of this shit. can find used speakers for cheap to hold you over till you can afford some new ones. why risk doing more damage?

He said he was broke. And if you think what I said was difficult to do when he's stated that he's moved speakers around inside already then
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks Cathbard, I am really broke. I DO have a 12" in a practice combo amp I could yank, but unfortunately it's 4 ohm. I'm going to pull two speaker, one bad and one good, and run the remaining two in series. Thanks again!