Page 1 of 2
Just a quick question on Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat guitar, he's one of my favourite guitarists and I've always wanted to have his guitar! But.. They don't seem to exist on any type of market.

Is there any reason why this is, and is there any way I could possibly get one in the future?

Thanks.
Main reason is because it's a guitar he made himself before I guess. Besides, not many want an ugly one like that... Even though it sounds nice when he's playing it, I think that's only when it's really gonna sound good as well, with his unique style of playing.
Sounds pretty decent, I'm no expert on guitar's, well.. I know next to nothing, but I'd love to have a replica of that guitar, it may be slightly ugly, but what it is sure makes up for it.

I'd love to have one, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. "/
they made some exact replicas... 3 of them... $25,000 a piece.

i painted my ibanez to look like his 5150 kramer with spray paint and it turned out pretty good.

Theres a lot of frankenstrat type guitars everywhere. Check ebay, and Craigslist. I know that Charvel? had a few replicas in 3 colors. Theres a bunch. Plus, you could always do it yourself!
There were more than 3 made *cough*

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-Eddie-Van-Halen-Frankenstein-Replica-Electric-Guitar-104226733-i1176775.gc

You can buy one right now if you want. They are made by Fender's Custom Shop.

+1 to what nickdohle said - there are lots of versions out there.

You can also make one pretty cheap if you are handy in that area. My friend eyebanez333 made this one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035166

PS: I don't think they are ugly at all - they are iconic. This also belongs in EG or GBnC

Yeaa, I'm not sure I'm ready for paying out the much just yet ;D.
The thought of attempting to make one seems pretty exciting, but I know for a fact I'd get into massive amounts of trouble attempting it .

And thanks guys, I pretty much got the answer I was looking for.. But I hope to find some way of getting some version in the future !

@311ZOSOVHJH
'This also belongs in EG or GBnC'

Sorry about that, I wasn't entirely sure where to put it, I was just eager to find out more about the guitar :-).

I'll get there ;-D
Last edited by StillCantPlay at Aug 28, 2010,
Thanks for the mention 311

I loved my frankenstrat...actually built the white/black one too. Both have been sold and are greatly missed. Playing one live always got lots of looks I need to build the yellow/black one to cap it off
I have always loved the frankenstrat, for the sound and the looks. There's no way I would ever pay as much as they want for the replica. Maybe the real one... but not the replica.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^no issue....I'm kinda glad you did post it here. The VH in 311ZOSOVHJH is for Van Halen.

- Win!

Spent all night looking at other people's builds.. My terminology is coming along far tonight ;-D.

I'm pretty sure when I'm alot more experienced with the wiring and electrical side of things I will attempt to do something like that!

And Eybanez, I want 30 minutes back of my life from looking at your thread! ;O!

Well worth it though, it's an outstanding project and I'm impressed to say the least .
This guy makes and sells replica's, could send him an email and see how much he charges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VY8FmPfijk

I did a replica of EVH's Kramer 5150, its always been my favourite. Link is in my sig. I spent a good while getting all the parts I wanted, got some good deals, cut zero corners and made it as good as it can be. Total cost? I'm not exactly sure, but definitely a lot more then $1000 thats for sure

There's 2 ways to go about it. Get a cheap Squire for example and just mod it and turn it into your own Frankenstrat OR go all out and make/buy the best one you can, otherwise it'll look like complete sh*t. There's no sense in trying to build a half assed replica and cheap out on parts. It won't last long and you'll have problems with tuning and intonation from the start.

There are a lot of cheap kits out there especially on Ebay being sold, usually made in China necks and bodies, terrible trems and the headstock or body dimensions are completely off. You really have to do your research and know what you're buying and know all the details.
Anyways, here's my Kramer 5150
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Aug 28, 2010,
Thats amazing :|.
I could never be able to make something as nice as that..

And for the buying of parts, I wouldn't have a clue. I've only been playing since last Christmas and I'm researching guitars for my move up from a beginner guitar :O!.

Pretty exciting stuff!
I didn't make it, I selected what I wanted exactly. I had the neck made for me, the body as well. Bought the Floyd Rose, tuners etc and I have a friend who's a guitar tech so he helped me do a proper assembly and set up. Hasn't need one since, plays like a dream.

Wait a while, till you get more knowledgable with your gear and what you like and so on. Then you can build or buy something nice and know its right for you
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Aug 29, 2010,
Yea, that's obviously the best idea, I like the thought of being able to do something like that in the future, I like a good project ;-D.

Cheers for this guys!
Okay, I've decided to shop around and look at different types of strat/squier bodies and necks, I'm looking for a cheap body at the moment so I can have a look at and begin the design of it..

A friend has agreed to help me with the technical side of it.. (pickups/wiring etc..).

I was just wondering.. Is there anything I should be looking for when I'm shopping for a body?.. Is there anything I should avoid.

For example..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110576180430&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is that body good enough?
Last edited by StillCantPlay at Aug 31, 2010,
srry , wrote on the wrong thread :P
Last edited by Sexypingu at Sep 1, 2010,
Well, bought a second hand Strat body and arrived a few days ago, I've actually decided to give it a go.

Going to buy the paints tomorrow, any suggestions on what spray paints to get and any other bits while I'm out?.
Quote by eyebanez333
Playing one live always got lots of looks

Anytime I see someone that isn't Eddie himself playing a guitar like that live (and aren't in a VH tribute band), I don't take them real seriously.

It just tells me that they either a.) are trying to copy Eddie Van Halen or b.) think they are Eddie Van Halen

I don't care what you play when you're at home or whatever, but don't play one live.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Personally, I don't see any problem with that.

But I'm far from being good enough for playing live, I'm just excited at the fact I get to try and take on a bit of a project, and learn a bit about the guitar on the way.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Anytime I see someone that isn't Eddie himself playing a guitar like that live (and aren't in a VH tribute band), I don't take them real seriously.

It just tells me that they either a.) are trying to copy Eddie Van Halen or b.) think they are Eddie Van Halen

I don't care what you play when you're at home or whatever, but don't play one live.

Welp...

I'm neither a.) nor b.)...

So you are wrong my friend. And if you base 'how seriously' you take a musician by what guitar they have in their hands...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 10, 2010,
Right, I've sprayed and taped my body to white and taped, if this goes succesful I'll buy myself a maple neck, any suggestions on buying one of these?

Am I looking for a specific shape neck that goes with the body I have bought, or is it pretty straight forward one-size fits all?..

Also, I've been looking at the GuitarFetish (GFS?) website for hardware, the VEH pickups look perfect, but is this site trusted for pickups, hardware and a maple neck?..

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Guitar neck from GFS:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Amber-Gloss-Strat-fit-Neck-Maple-Fingerboard_p_712.html

VEH Pickups from GFS:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/VEH-Vintage-Extra-Hot-WHITE-coils--The-Brown-Sound-Neck-Position_p_785.html

Electrical components from GFS:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Complete-Strat-Upgrade-Electrical-Component-Kit_p_180.html

Neck Plate from GFS:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Ultra-Thick-Chrome-Neck-Plate-with-Screws-for-StratTele_p_768.html
Last edited by StillCantPlay at Sep 12, 2010,
If you have the cash go to Warmoth for the neck,they can build you a nice neck to go with it.I believe they have the banana/hockey stick headstock as one of their options as well.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

No, embarissingly I don't have the cash to pay too much for a neck, this is why I'm looking at GFS and Ebay, so far it's gone to plan, but I can see myself screwing this up/buying the wrong things and I was just seeking an experts opinion ;-D.

My finished result can be far from perfect, I just want a functioning Frankie to play about with !

The pickup cavities on my guitar bodies are wrong, but it doesnt bother me too much, aslong as I can fit the pickups in and wire them correctly, I don't mind how it looks.

Just nervous on making an order tis' all!
Quote by StillCantPlay
No, embarissingly I don't have the cash to pay too much for a neck, this is why I'm looking at GFS and Ebay, so far it's gone to plan, but I can see myself screwing this up/buying the wrong things and I was just seeking an experts opinion ;-D.

My finished result can be far from perfect, I just want a functioning Frankie to play about with !

The pickup cavities on my guitar bodies are wrong, but it doesnt bother me too much, aslong as I can fit the pickups in and wire them correctly, I don't mind how it looks.

Just nervous on making an order tis' all!

Ah I see,I should have read the whole thread .I doubt you'll mess it up,since it's a fairly straight forward process,but even if you do it's not the end of the world and will simply be a learning experience.If you do well with this one and like the style and vibe it gives then you can take what you've learned while building it and use that knowledge to build a high end copy later on .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

So, would you recommend me just going for those products?

Its a bit of a risk, almost $50 shipping to UK, but the price on the pickups and maple neck seem to make that up.
Last edited by StillCantPlay at Sep 13, 2010,
Stressing out a little bit over what to do about this neck!, extremely tempted to buy everything off Guitarfetish.com including the neck!

Had a reply off GFS about this matter saying that it may fit with a bit of sanding, but they cant assure me of it, but if I don't buy the neck off Gfs, then it wont be worth buying the pickups off there one there own with the $50 postage price.

Finished the spraying today aswell.

Fun times these are.

Below is the body I bought cheaply off Ebay, I know the pickup route things are wrong for a Frankenstrat, but I'm so stupid, I didn't realise this at the time.
Attachments:
FRAN.jpg
Last edited by StillCantPlay at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by StillCantPlay
Stressing out a little bit over what to do about this neck!, extremely tempted to buy everything off Guitarfetish.com including the neck!

Had a reply off GFS about this matter saying that it may fit with a bit of sanding, but they cant assure me of it, but if I don't buy the neck off Gfs, then it wont be worth buying the pickups off there one there own with the $50 postage price.

Finished the spraying today aswell.

Fun times these are.

Below is the body I bought cheaply off Ebay, I know the pickup route things are wrong for a Frankenstrat, but I'm so stupid, I didn't realise this at the time.

Wow!! I didn't know that you could buy a template for a Frankenstrat from ebay??? Then, you can add whatever you want to it--pickups, paint job, etc.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Wow!! I didn't know that you could buy a template for a Frankenstrat from ebay??? Then, you can add whatever you want to it--pickups, paint job, etc.

ron666

Well, no.. You can buy any Stratocaster body and spray it accordingly..

Or are you mocking me at being such a retard at going towards this project? :L

Its been sprayed, shown below.
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
No answers off GFS about neck, pup and trem fittings, think I might just risk it for a biscuit!

Really eager to carry on with the Frankie! But far too nervous to do so :|

Anyway, the neck on my shitty Strat fits!, so thats a plus! .
Attachments:
DSC08805212.jpg
Quote by eyebanez333
Lookin' good!

I'll come clean here, I have you to thank for this Eybanez .. Your Frankenstrat post was really helpful and enouraged me to have a bash at it .
Quote by StillCantPlay
I'll come clean here, I have you to thank for this Eybanez .. Your Frankenstrat post was really helpful and enouraged me to have a bash at it .

No problem! Aceshigh16's thread helped me with mine
Quote by eyebanez333
No problem! Aceshigh16's thread helped me with mine

Hahh

Its not going to be anywhere near as cool as yours, I'm not experienced in cutting, wood, electrics, metal.. I have no idea about everything actually..

So yea, I'm pretty chuffed about how its turning out, just need GFS to assure me that the items I'll buy off them will be sufficient for completion !

No FR for me, seem's far to complicated for me!
Quote by StillCantPlay
Well, no.. You can buy any Stratocaster body and spray it accordingly..

Or are you mocking me at being such a retard at going towards this project? :L

Its been sprayed, shown below.

No! No mocking at all. What you've done is really amazing. I'm quite impressed.

ron666
Quote by ron666
No! No mocking at all. What you've done is really amazing. I'm quite impressed.

ron666

Thanks Ron! I appreciate that

Lacquer arrived this morning, I wasn't going to lacquer it originally, but I really want to keep it in good nick now! "/ :L.
Finally ordered the rest of the bits to finish off!

Screenshot of my order is shown below, if there's anything I'm missing and will need, please reply!

Thanks!
Attachments:
Order!.jpg
Page 1 of 2