So when I'm playing the minor pentatonic my middle finger seems to be quite high above the fretboard when my index and ring finger are playing the notes. Is this a bad habit or will it sort itself out after playing more of the pentatonic scale? If it is a problem, how can I stop this from happening?

Question number two: When I'm playing power chords, it's kind of the same problem, my middle finger is quite high above the fretboard and a bit 'all over the place' if you know what I mean. Is this normal or is it a bad habit?
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Last edited by guitarwalrus at Aug 28, 2010,
is this thread working?
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
It's a bad habit, learn to keep your middle finger closer to the fretboard. Also, make sure that when you're moving your other fingers, the middle finger doesn't move (unless you actually want it to move).
I used to have issues with a flying middle finger, but a bit of practise sorted it out. If you just look out for anything that causes your middle finger to lose control, you can slow it down and use it as an exercise; personally, I found the first melody in "Children of Bodom" and the chorus melody in "Kissing the Shadows" to be helpful for practising keeping my middle finger in check.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by guitarwalrus
is this thread working?

You have to wait longer than an hour for an answer. UG is not an on-demand answer service. Either people do not know the answers to your question or there aren't enough people on willing to answer. Remember, a lot of people here are wondering the same things, so that means that a lot of the views are going to be from clueless people.

All in all, patience, grasshopper.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You have to wait longer than an hour for an answer. UG is not an on-demand answer service. Either people do not know the answers to your question or there aren't enough people on willing to answer. Remember, a lot of people here are wondering the same things, so that means that a lot of the views are going to be from clueless people.

All in all, patience, grasshopper.

Sorry, I just thought the weird dot on the envelope icon was a sign that this thread was locked or something :P

Also, I saw you suggested some songs but how do I actually sort the problem out. Do I just force my finger down as much as possible in the songs I'm playing and after time hope that it will get the message and stay there?
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
i got the same flying middle finger problem aswell but only when playing scales. not a problem really any other time.
uhu. also, could someone tell me what the right position for the middle finger is when playing a index,ring,pinky power chord please.
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
A picture of what you are describing would help, but it sounds like you're 1) just starting out and 2) should be working on finger independence exercises.

At first when you move one finger, the fingers next to it will want to move with it. You want to work on finger independence, which teaches your fingers to be able to move a single digit without moving the others too much.

Here's one simple exercise you can try:

1. Play a standard open C chord.
2. Lift your index finger off the string, play the resulting chord (Cmaj7).
3. Put your index finger back on the string. Lift your middle finger off the string. Play the resulting chord (Csus2).
4. Put your middle finger back on the string. Lift your ring finger off. Play (Am7).

Rinse and repeat. So you're cycling between lifting each finger up in turn and leaving the other fingers on the fretboard.

Hope this helps,
Willem
To improve on the guitar, please visit http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com
I'm not really starting out. I've been playing one year and this is just a question about my middle finger being a little high off the fretboard. I reckon my fingers are pretty independent, I just need to get my middle trained up a little bit. But I guess you're right, finger independence exercises will help.
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Quote by guitarwalrus
Also, I saw you suggested some songs but how do I actually sort the problem out. Do I just force my finger down as much as possible in the songs I'm playing and after time hope that it will get the message and stay there?

It depends on what you mean by "forcing it down", if you mean tensing up the finger, you certainly don't want to be doing that.
Here's a basic example for what you're trying to achieve:
Rest all four fingers on the high E string, put the index finger on the 10th, middle on 11th, ring on 12th and pinky on 13th. You don't want to be pushing the string down or fretting any notes, just have them all touching the string above the corresponding fret. Your fingers should be very relaxed as they rest on the string.
Now, very slowly add pressure to your index finger, until you're fretting the note. Make sure none of your other fingers move, if they do, slow down more and really focus on only using the muscles in your index finger. Once you've managed that, relax the finger (so it returns to it's original position, resting on the string). Do this for each of the fingers in turn.

The reason you get flying fingers is because of tension, e.g. your body learns that when pushing down with the ring finger, the middle finger needs to move, or your body learns to lift a finger off the fret, as opposed to relaxing it off the fret. You need to learn to keep the other fingers relaxed and independent.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by guitarwalrus
I'm not really starting out. I've been playing one year and this is just a question about my middle finger being a little high off the fretboard. I reckon my fingers are pretty independent, I just need to get my middle trained up a little bit. But I guess you're right, finger independence exercises will help.

There's finger independence (or dexterity) - getting fingers to work independently of each other.

Then there's finger control - which keeps your un-used fingers from flopping all over the place.

These are closely related, but they are not technically the same.

Take pretty much any scale or independence exercise and practice it very slow with light, relaxed touch.
Then instead of concentrating on what notes you fret - shift focus to your idle fingers. Try to stop them from moving any more than they have to. Aim to keep them close to the strings as possible, preferably hovering above the note they are going to hit next.

It might be difficult at first and even cause more tension, but it gets easier as your control improves and starts to feel more comfortable. This is not an over night fix... but do it even 5-10 minutes a day, you'll get straightened out.

(This should also improve your independence a lot)