Wondering if anybody could point me and/or offer a couple tips regarding how to get started with acoustic soloing. I love the stuff Ryan Newell (Sister Hazel) pumps out on his acoustic, but having a hard time finding a grasp to get started. I think a problem is a lot of the licks I'm learning are really geared for electric (bending and such), so the style I'm aiming for isn't really lining up.

Appreciate any tips, only been playing for a couple years now!
First off, it will be better if you get a guitar with a cut away for higher fret access. Also, tuning down half a step or a full step helps bending a lot......practice all scales you know every day in the higher fret range to build finger strength which will help a ton with acoustic soloing.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Appreciate the advice gatechballer!

I actually own a cutaway, but tuning down sounds like a great idea!
^ or you could just use lower gauge strings and get your string height adjusted to have the strings closer to the fret board. i have a nice acoustic and i play my lead/solo type stuff on it the exact same way i would on any of my electrics.
Quote by z4twenny
^ or you could just use lower gauge strings and get your string height adjusted to have the strings closer to the fret board. i have a nice acoustic and i play my lead/solo type stuff on it the exact same way i would on any of my electrics.

+1 tuning down sounds like it would create more problems than it would solve.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Well you don't "need" a guitar with a cutaway, you'll still be able to have 12-14 frets at your disposal. I can also get what you're saying about strings and bending. My acoustic guitars are strung with 13-56s, and I can't bend more than a semi tone on the 4 lowest strings.

However, if you consider the acoustic guitar to be a different instrument than the electric (which it is), you'll find styles of soloing on the acoustic which don't work as well when transferred to electric.

But the basics are still the same, learn your scales bla bla bla.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm already using 13s, any lower and the guitar would probably need to be re-set. Plus, I find changing the tension of the strings a bit more noticeable then lighter gauges.

Any ideas for acoustic soloing resources?