I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and feel like I won't improve any more. When I first started I had lessons for 5/6 months until the guy said there wasn't much more that he could teach me. I practised a lot of different stuff i.e. chord changes, fingerpicking, slow solos by bands like Oasis and improvising etc. I was basically improving in a few different areas at a time and made a lot of progress.

Latley though (the past 5 or so months) i've made very little or no improvment. I see my friends playing really impressive stuff that sounds great but I feel I'm at the same level as I was at the start of the year.

I just want to improve overall but the three things I'd most like to improve are Soloing (improving speed), playing riffs/licks like Hendrix and Led Zepp (I just can't make them sound good, I always mess up by hitting the wrong string or fret or muting a string or whatever) and improvising. My friend was improvising today and he just came up with cool chord progressions and stuff but everything i do just sounds terrible. I think overall my playing is just kinda sloppy and doesn't sound clean.

So, any advice? Or should i take up lessons again?

Oh, and sorry for the wall of text.
If after 5 or 6 months your teacher said there wasn't much more he could teach you then he was a lousy teacher. If you get a good teacher you should give him\her specific goals of where you want to get to and they should be able to mould a path based on that goal. The teacher should be able to guide you in putting a proper practice schedule in place to target the techniques or theory you need as you progress. I've been playing and taking lessons for a year and getting a proper practice schedule is important and difficult for a beginner. Since your practice schedule should include short term goals as you progress you will realize your accomplishments and the fact that you are improving which is a great motivator. Although the proper practice schedule is important the most important is having the dicipline to follow it. Lastly, don't compare yourself to anyone else, everyone learns at different speeds.
Great advice by Hab Fan.

I would only add that with guitar playing - especially the early years - strides of progress seem to come in stages for a lot of people. So you'll progress rapidly to a point, then kind of level out and feel like you're not improving for a while (which is where you are at now). You are definitely not alone.

But if you are determined, you will keep making new strides and get past your hurdles. Don't so get discouraged, that's all I can say (I know it's hard). All players have been where you are at one time or another. They get over it and you will too.

I'll also repeat for emphasis: if you find a new teacher... interview that teacher ahead of time and make sure he/she is on the same page as you as far as your own goals. Best of luck.
If you're teacher never taught you any theory stuff then he never taught you everything there is to know. After learning keys and basic chord theory it's time to leave the nest. then you must teach yourself by slowly leaving your comfort zone. That's pretty much how i learned. I didn't get much further than that with my guitar lessons because my teacher started to get too many gigs to be able to continue teaching.

I found that when i taught myself new things i would get further and the progress would come faster. The first thing you can do is grab a lick from a solo from a song you dont really know (I say this because now your not going to just try to copy the phrasing) from a tab, then just start playing it slowly till you get faster and faster.

After that you can try changing the key its in. then for fun you can try adding new techniques to it. like some tapping or sweeping.

Here's one I like to warm up with:

e --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0
B -----------2p0h2p0------------2p0h2p0-----------------------------------------0
G --------2-------------p20h2p0------------2p0h2p0------------2p0h2p0-------2
D --------2------------------------------------------------2p0h2p0------------------2
A --------0------------------------------------------------------------------------2p0-0
E --\3-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------0

I don't remember where i got it from, or if i just made it up one day and thought it sounded cool, but i guess it doesn't really matter. The area where the hammer-ons and pull-offs are, is the space that can be filled with any technique. you can try what ever you want there. the lick works in the key of G or C or D. If you want it to work in A or E slide to the 4th fret instead of the 3rd.

But i totally agree that you should find a teacher if you feel that you hit your plateau, he or she can help you progress. just make sure they know thier techniques. And I'd recommend bringing some your own books. Any tab books or technique books you may have, that way you can find out how much they really know. have them play some of the stuff from these books as examples, honestly that's the best test. if you pick out sections that are difficult for you, and your new teacher can't play it you might as well move to the next teacher.
if ur teacher cant teach u anything else get a new teacher, thats all im saying
Ive been playing for 4 years now and i still find myself learning and improving constantly, all i can recommend is maybe start listening to different styles of music for more techniques to learn, and maybe challenge yourself more often with really intense stuff like between the buried and me, protest the hero.
Quote by Bernier51
Ive been playing for 4 years now and i still find myself learning and improving constantly, all i can recommend is maybe start listening to different styles of music for more techniques to learn, and maybe challenge yourself more often with really intense stuff like between the buried and me, protest the hero.

This.
I feel if you keep playing the same stuff you know and find easy over and over again you don't gain anything from it. Try something that challenges you and stick with it. Over time you'll find that you've improved tremendously. Over the summer I ran the solo for Tornado of Souls again and again and I found every day it would get slightly less sloppy and now I can play the whole thing fluently.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay