Page 1 of 2
My funds are gathering and I'll be entering the build phase of my project soon.

I would have never even begun to understand the concept of building a guitar if it were not for GB&C. So as a thanks and fun little side-gag, I want YOU, the good people of GB&C, to design my neck!

Here's what you need to know:

1- Honduran Mahogany body
2- Flamed or Quilted Maple top (depends on the deals I find)
3- H-H configuration
4- This will be my do-it-all guitar. It will be what I gig with on every song and will replace all my current guitars.
5- As it will be my main guitar, it must be tonally versatile and balanced. Iron Maiden today, Pink Floyd tomorrow, Dream Theater day after that.
6- I mostly play rhythm but also play some leads.
7- It must not look like ass.

Don't worry about the pickups impacting tone. I've taken care of that.

The following list has all the woods my builder has available. You will be selecting the neck core wood and the fingerboard wood. I will select laminates based on coloration/matching with my finish. Neck will have jumbo frets, a wide-thin profile, and 24 frets. I will tally the votes at the end of a predetermined day.

All those who voted for winning woods/features will have their screen name initials scribed on the back of the headstock

Body shape is a surprise 'till my build thread. Keep in mind tonal qualities of different woods (tonewood thread here: Ultimate Tonewood Thread 2.0). Keep the tone balanced and versatile within the guitar!

Choose 1 (one) Neck Wood--

-Flame Maple
-Mahogany
-Black Limba/Korina
-White Limba/Korina
-Purpleheart
-Wenge
-Bubinga
-Afata

Choose 1 (one) Fingerboard Wood--

-Pau Ferro
-Rosewood
-Ebony
-Zebrawood
-Bloodwood
-Wenge
-Purpleheart
-Zircote
-Birsdseye Maple (requires a hard finish)
-Flame Maple (requires a hard finish)

Choose 1 (one) Inlay Design--

-Standard Dots
-Standard Dots (small)
-Offset Dots
-Offset Dots (small)

Choose 1 (one) Inlay Material--

-Mother of Pearl
-Abalone

Choose well, GB&C. The fate of a sweet ass guitar rests in your hands!
Last edited by Seref at Sep 1, 2010,
White limba

Ziricote

Standard dots

Abalone

It'll look pretty sweet methinks
Wenge

Wenge (you can use 1 piece of wood for this and it requires no finish as it's basically a rosewood)

Offset dots

Abalone
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not following your rules

Neck:Mahogany (preferably ribbon sapele)/flame maple (1/4")/wenge(1/8 or 1/4")/fm (1/4")/mah.
Getting a 1/8" stripe of wenge might be a pain, but it would look badass as a pin stripe in your neck.

Board: Wenge or zebrawood. Wenge for a paint/dye finish, or if all natural zebrawood.

Inlays:Offset dots w/albalone
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Wenge

Ziricote

Offset small

Abalone
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Wenge

Ebony

Standard

Abalone
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Ya'll like wenge

Good stuff, keep the votes coming.

Oh, and if you for some reason want to change your vote, please edit your first post, not make a new one.
wtb more votes!!!

-------------------------------------

everyone above that line who voted is a cool kid. everyone who hasn't voted wont be a cool kid till the next line :P
now, don't go on the size of these boards for what to buy, just the wood type.

fretboard

neck

if that wouldnt be sexy, i dont know what would.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I'm a cool kid?

Anyway, I like the idea of flamed maple and zebrawood too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Wenge

Wenge (you can use 1 piece of wood for this and it requires no finish as it's basically a rosewood)

Offset dots

Abalone

This. Or...

Wenge

Pau Ferro

Small Offset Dots

Abalone.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by CapnMudGuru
edit...ultimate wood thread doesn't recommend zircote as fretboard but i've seen it done.....

As have I. It's all good.
Quote by CapnMudGuru

edit...ultimate wood thread doesn't recommend zircote as fretboard but i've seen it done.....

As have I. Who is also the guy who wrote it. Most of those fingerboard ratings and such came from warmoth. Hm. I suppose I'll need to look up it's janka rating and possible change it.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
According to the guy who will be building my neck, almost any wood can be used as a fingerboard. The softer woods just require a hard finish of some kind. He's willing to use any exotic wood. I just listed the ones that he regularly stocks (and as such will be more affordable).

-------------

New cool kid line, yay!
Yeah. There's obviously some woods that just can't be fretboards, though, no matter what finish gets put on it. Mahogany is pretty soft--I've never seen a mahogany fretboard. Would probably indent a bit even with a hard clear coat.

Anyway, unceremonious bumpage. Vote people!!!!!!
I hope you're taking a tally of all the suggestions for each category and picking from that

Wenge neck, Pau Ferro fretboard was my idea for a kickass neck. Cocobolo is another great choice for fingerboard but I think Pau Ferro would be more versatile as it's brighter.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yep, that's what I'm doing.

The standing is currently at: Wenge neck, Ebony/Zircote fingerboard (tied), Offset dots, Abalone.
I like the one piece wenge neck/fretboard idea.

Definitely abalone dots.

I say offset big dots with little dots next to them. There have ben a couple of builds on here like that and I really like how it looks.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Flame maple
Ebony
Offset
Abalone

WIN!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Metal, preferably steel.

...or two piece of cherry with a maple center, and an ebony fretboard..
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I couldn't say without knowing the body shape. All I have to say is leave off sharp points, brutal shit and keep it classy.

It'll be classy. I'm not into br00ts. Prog metal and heavy metal are about the only metals I play. The shape is nothing crazy, I just don't wanna give it away.
Shameless bump.

I'll stop dual-post bumping if a mod tells me to, but till then I'm trying to make sure people see this. Want as many votes as possible in a short amount of time.
Yeah, one piece wenge neck would be amazing!

maybe one piece Rosewood, but that may be really pricey and heavy, although I'm sure you may get that with wenge too.

Offset

Abalone.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Awesome, is it an original design? I don't get why people build custom guits with old shapes

It's gonna be a slightly modified clone of a production guitar. Building is cooler and cheaper than buying the same guitar of equal quality, so that's why I'm doing it at least.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 31, 2010,
It's the Final Countdown! (doo-do-doo-doo, do-do-doo-do-dooo)

Voting closing soon. If you haven't voted yet, vote!
A big thank you to everyone who voted!

Voting is now over. The winning combination was a favorite from the start:

Neck: Wenge
Fingerboard: Ebony
Inlay: Offset Dots
Inlay Material: Abalone

Ebony muscled out 1-piece Wenge by a single vote.

Well, I asked for a badass neck, and you all delivered!

Everyone voted for at least one of the winning specs. So everyone who voted will be having their sn initials on the back of the headstock. Man, I'm gonna have to write small :P

How the neck will be when finalized:

Wenge, 1/8" laminate of Maple, 1/4" lam of Bloodwood (or Bubinga), 1/8" lam of Maple, Wenge (OR) Wenge, 1/4" lam of Bloodwood, Wenge.
Black, unfigured ebony fingerboard
Dots offset left, small dots below 12th fret
Abalone
Natural satin finish neck
fingerboard treated with lemon oil if needed
Jumbo frets
Angled headstock
Shallow D profile
10" fretboard radius

Thanks to everyone again!
Last edited by Seref at Sep 4, 2010,
Page 1 of 2