I want to learn a song and it says capo on 3rd fret and the chords g and c. Does this mean I put a capo on the third fret and just make g and c chord shapes after it on the 4th,5th and 6th frets. I have no idea how capos work and im well confused. any help would be appreciated.
Quote by hellybelly
I want to learn a song and it says capo on 3rd fret and the chords g and c. Does this mean I put a capo on the third fret and just make g and c chord shapes after it on the 4th,5th and 6th frets. I have no idea how capos work and im well confused. any help would be appreciated.

Yes, you put the capo on the 3rd fret and treat it as if it was the nut so a standard C shape would be fingered like this:

e|0
b|4
g|0
d|5
a|6
e|-
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
its just like making a barre chord without having to actually barre it... sorta.

well thats how i look at it
Quote by rickyj
its just like making a barre chord without having to actually barre it... sorta.

well thats how i look at it

No, it just changes the open strings pitches, you'll gonna have to end barre-ing the same amount of chords.