Page 1 of 2
i was wondering the same thing. been thinking about getting one, Actually i was looking more into the SPIDER VALVE bye Line6. i just bought a Ibanez RGA-8 and i wanted to get a nice tube head.
Last edited by mattyshred at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by mattyshred
i was wondering the same thing. been thinking about getting one. i just bought a Ibanez RGA-8 and i wanted to get a nice tube head.

Not sure if serious :s
Quote by mattyshred
i was wondering the same thing. been thinking about getting one, Actually i was looking more into the SPIDER VALVE bye Line6. i just bought a Ibanez RGA-8 and i wanted to get a nice tube head.

Either misinformed, well-informed but trolling, or just plain
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by Jackooh
Not sure if serious :s

not serious about the IV serious about the Spider Valve tho.
Quote by mattyshred
not serious about the IV serious about the Spider Valve tho.

u cant put 1 tube that doesnt really do anything in the first place in an amp and call it a tube amp. justsayin

seriously, that money could be better spent somewhere else.
They're mediocre at best. I've herd the spider tube is better. If you want something similar then look at the Peavey Vypyr series. It's got more effects, amp models and sounds better imo.

Quote by mattyshred

the spider valve isn't all tube, it's a hybrid though hybrid done the right way, modeler preamp and tube poweramp. never played one so I cant give a solid conclusion on it

Also, how's the eq switch on the RGA sound?

Quote by bbetances
u cant put 1 tube that doesnt really do anything in the first place in an amp and call it a tube amp. justsayin

see above
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 28, 2010,
I have a line 6 spider 3 for my bedroom practice, its good for what I use it for but, the sound isn't as great as I would have hoped. If you've got the money for one, buy yourself a nice tube amp instead, these solid state amps almost never sound as good as a tube amp.

Another thing about the Spider series, the sound is really....idk, it sounds artificial almost.
Quote by Ghanja_Fog
I have a line 6 spider 3 for my bedroom practice, its good for what I use it for but, the sound isn't as great as I would have hoped. If you've got the money for one, buy yourself a nice tube amp instead, these cheap low quality solid state amps almost never sound as good as a more expensive higher quality tube amp.

Another thing about the Spider series, the sound is really....idk, it sounds artificial almost.

fixed
there are many higher quality ss amps that sound good that I would even take over many tube amps

I agree about the artificial sounding part though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by justinb904
They're mediocre at best. I've herd the spider tube is better. If you want something similar then look at the Peavey Vypyr series. It's got more effects, amp models and sounds better imo.

the spider valve isn't all tube, it's a hybrid though hybrid done the right way, modeler preamp and tube poweramp. never played one so I cant give a solid conclusion on it

Also, how's the eq switch on the RGA sound?

see above

THANKS
Quote by justinb904
fixed
there are many higher quality ss amps that sound good that I would even take over many tube amps

I agree about the artificial sounding part though

I agree with your fix as well, for the money you would pay for a spider amp, you could easily buy a higher quality tube amp.
Quote by sashki
In my experience, better than the previous spider series, but not really that great.
How big an amp do you need? Gigs or bedroom practice?

yeah, like 15/30 watt.
I'm only 13 so my budget is like 30 $.
Assuming you won't be gigging anytime soon and you're only using your amp for bedroom practice, I say go for it. Forget the elitists who say everybody needs to buy a $1000 tube amp head with their 300W cab. Of course those things sound MUCH better, but those are amps to aspire to later in your career. If you're playing in your bedroom by yourself, don't wanna wake anybody up, and wanna sound at least decent to yourself, get a no maintenance solid state modeling amp. No tube amp anywhere near your price range will give a decent amount of gain anyways

Upgrade ASAP though. Whenever you get the money or whenever you wanna play with a band.

Shame on you people recommending tube amps to 13 year olds with $30.
Quote by justinb904

The Spider Valve IS all tube. It's not a hybrid amp. 6L6 power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Is the spider good?

Is the mg good?

Is the vypyr good?

Is the valvetronix good?

Get one of the above threads at least once every 2 days. It's annoying >.< l2searchbar
Quote by Seref
Is the spider good?

Is the mg good?

Is the vypyr good?

Is the valvetronix good?

Get one of the above threads at least once every 2 days. It's annoying >.< l2searchbar

THANK YOU! It's really starting to get me PO'd.

Anyway, TS: Not as good as the Vypyr in the same range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Ferrets!
The Spider Valve IS all tube. It's not a hybrid amp. 6L6 power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes.

True, but there NEEDS to be a digital section SOMEWHERE in the amp, otherwise the modeling aspect of the series wouldn't exist.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Ferrets!

Are all the digital effects and digital amp models all tube too?
It's a lot more tube based than most hybrid amps, including my own, but still hybrid all the same.
1) The Spider IV head is better than the III for sure, but still not all that incredible.
2) The Spider VALVE head is WORLDS better. The MK II version has 2 12ax7 pre-amp tubes and 4 6L6 power amp tubes. It's much more than just adding 1 tube to a Spider IV LOL! Seriously, for most amateurs, this thing actually is a nice amp. A favorite local band just got back together and picked up a couple of these heads, and they sounded GREAT (no one in the large crowd complained about the tone). They are nice all in one units that would serve most very well.
My biggest concern with the Spider Valve heads is reliability. Sure, any amp can break...but most tube amps aren't too tough to fix. Modeling heads.... usually just throw them away for a new one.

For less money, you could get a Bugera 626X or 333/XL

If your budget is the 15w or 30w......get whichever. Nothing in that price range will be all that great.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by RR3tran
Assuming you won't be gigging anytime soon and you're only using your amp for bedroom practice, I say go for it. Forget the elitists who say everybody needs to buy a $1000 tube amp head with their 300W cab. Of course those things sound MUCH better, but those are amps to aspire to later in your career. If you're playing in your bedroom by yourself, don't wanna wake anybody up, and wanna sound at least decent to yourself, get a no maintenance solid state modeling amp. No tube amp anywhere near your price range will give a decent amount of gain anyways

Upgrade ASAP though. Whenever you get the money or whenever you wanna play with a band.

Shame on you people recommending tube amps to 13 year olds with $30.

How many misconceptions can a guy fit in a post?

Not everyone who likes tubes is an elitist. Elitist is a word used by those to try to take someone down a notch because they can't comprehend their point of view. I have met very few people I would consider true elitists.

Nobody recommends a $1000 head to someone without a $1000 budget.

What the **** does a 300w cab have to do with anything?

Who says you have to aspire to own them later in your career? Skill/experience have no correlation whatsoever with gear.

Tube amps sound just fine at reasonably low volumes. They just get better as they're turned up. Sorry to say, any amp at below average TV volumes is going to sound pretty bad though. You're better off with a POD if that's a requirement.

Cheap SS amps break. When they do, they aren't worth fixing. Tube amps break less often and are extremely easy to fix. Tubes require replacing every 2-3 years if played moderately. A set of tubes for a small tube amp is $30.

No amp in the price range of $30 will do anything as none exist.

Shame on you for not realizing that there's a little thing called saving.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
How many misconceptions can a guy fit in a post?

Not everyone who likes tubes is an elitist. Elitist is a word used by those to try to take someone down a notch because they can't comprehend their point of view. I have met very few people I would consider true elitists.

Nobody recommends a $1000 head to someone without a $1000 budget.

What the **** does a 300w cab have to do with anything?

Who says you have to aspire to own them later in your career? Skill/experience have no correlation whatsoever with gear.

Tube amps sound just fine at reasonably low volumes. They just get better as they're turned up. Sorry to say, any amp at below average TV volumes is going to sound pretty bad though. You're better off with a POD if that's a requirement.

Cheap SS amps break. When they do, they aren't worth fixing. Tube amps break less often and are extremely easy to fix. Tubes require replacing every 2-3 years if played moderately. A set of tubes for a small tube amp is $30.

No amp in the price range of $30 will do anything as none exist.

Shame on you for not realizing that there's a little thing called saving.

Me and "mmolteratx" don't always agree....but there is a LOT of truth in that post!
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
*vicious takedown*

, Matt,

Anyway, I still say a Vypyr is the way for you to go, TS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
, Matt,

Anyway, I still say a Vypyr is the way for you to go, TS.

I think TS should focus on saving a bit more money so he can actually afford an amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
lulz

for 30 bucks?

a used vox amplug. hopefully you have some headphones around, cause even shitty ones would use up half your budget
Ehh, the Vypyr tube is kinda good!

And Vypyr overall is much better then Spider.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
If the guy was in Europe he might be able to afford this.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jackamp.htm?sid=2cff12fab64d2686ae04c2501cf729df

Otherwise you got some saving to do!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
The dude is 13, he has $30, and he's probably a novice in the most strict definition of the word. The cheapest tube amp (new) anywhere near $30, the Epiphone Valve Junior, has no gain whatsoever (without modding it) and starts at $129. You could find a used Spider for $50.

When i started out playing, i was more worried about getting the basics of the guitar down than the tone of my amp. I could've cared less about the responsiveness of my amp when I was just new to holding strings against a fretboard.

On the saving thing: he has $30 for an amp. How much more money can a 13 year old save? Who the hell starts out with a tube amp for that matter? His guitar is probably some cheap strat copy from a pawn shop.

I love tube amps. You don't have to be an elitist to like them. They're much much much better than SS. I just don't think a tube amp fits his needs.

Btw, his question was "Are Spiders okay amps?" not "Should I get a tube amp?"
Last edited by RR3tran at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by RR3tran
The dude is 13, he has $30, and he's a novice in the most pure definition of the word. The cheapest tube amp (new) anywhere near $30, the Epiphone Valve Junior, has no gain whatsoever (without modding it). When i started out playing, i was more worried about getting the basics of the guitar down than the tone of my amp. I could've cared less about the responsiveness of my amp when I was just new to holding strings against a fretboard. And on the saving thing: he has $30. How much more money can a 13 year old save? Who the hell starts out with a tube amp for that matter?

I'll agree that tone shouldn't be your first concern when starting out but a more articulate and better sounding amp will allow you to hear your mistakes and improve on them as well as introduce less ear fatigue.

As for saving, I worked mowing lawns and the like for an entire summer when I was 12 so I could afford my first iPod. This was back when the things were like $500. Don't give me this shit about how it's impossible for a 13 year old to save. It's far easier for a 13 year old with no financial commitments to save than someone older. It might happen slowly but good things are worth waiting for.

Third, show me one post where someone said get a tube amp. Then see sig.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
they aren't bad for practice amps I guess....but the bigger models are a complete waste of money. and even if you're looking for practice amps, there are much better options...especially if you go used. See also: peavey vypyr, line 6 flextone

EDIT:
V that too... you can save. I mowed grass and washed dishes at your age to get a car...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 29, 2010,
how about we all be clear on this.

for 30 bucks, there are no options. you get on your local CL and beg and plead with the guys with the cheapest POS amps, until eventually someone says OK.

then you get your mom to drive you over there. cause you're 13.

just wanted to clear that up. and like matt said, as far as the budget, a 13 year old can save. when i was 14/15 i had worked and saved enough to buy a dual rec with a marshall 412, as well as a vintage jackson tube head. all my own money. its totally possible to get off your ass and scrape together some extra cash so that you actually have an amp to choose from. cause like i said, youre only option right now is a used vox amplug routed through your computer speakers or CD player
Quote by mmolteratx
I'll agree that tone shouldn't be your first concern when starting out but a more articulate and better sounding amp will allow you to hear your mistakes and improve on them as well as introduce less ear fatigue.

As for saving, I worked mowing lawns and the like for an entire summer when I was 12 so I could afford my first iPod. This was back when the things were like $500. Don't give me this shit about how it's impossible for a 13 year old to save. It's far easier for a 13 year old with no financial commitments to save than someone older. It might happen slowly but good things are worth waiting for.

Third, show me one post where someone said get a tube amp. Then see sig.

I edited my post to clarify myself. And this whole thread, people are talking about the Spider Valve.

You mean your sig?

Yes, a tube amp will help you get better and you will easily hear your mistakes. But right now, he just needs a leg to stand on. Articulation, attack, and coherency are more intermediate than learning the very basics, such as fretting notes and forming chords.

He could mow lawns for an entire summer and rack up some money like you, but perhaps he's not as dedicated and only wants something he can mess around with, not get serious about.

EDIT: In short, I think if he's not too serious, he should get an SS. I do agree with you, if he really wants to play, he could save up to get a tube amp.
another option...find a used pod/rp-90/V-amp etc, and either use headphones, or plug it into the home stereo.

True one at his level should be much more concerned with learning, but when you sound GOOD, you WANT to keep practicing!

As for saving, Start asking EVERYONE who is getting you a Christmas/Birthday etc gift to make it a gift card to your local music store....$20 here, $20 there ads up quickly
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by josephde
how about we all be clear on this.

for 30 bucks, there are no options. you get on your local CL and beg and plead with the guys with the cheapest POS amps, until eventually someone says OK.

then you get your mom to drive you over there. cause you're 13.

just wanted to clear that up. and like matt said, as far as the budget, a 13 year old can save. when i was 14/15 i had worked and saved enough to buy a dual rec with a marshall 412, as well as a vintage jackson tube head. all my own money. its totally possible to get off your ass and scrape together some extra cash so that you actually have an amp to choose from. cause like i said, youre only option right now is a used vox amplug routed through your computer speakers or CD player

Holy crap, you had a Dual Rec and Marshall 412 at 14/15? I'm 15 almost 16, still struggling to save up for a $600 Peavey 6505 112 combo. Most of my guitar playing friends, some older, are still stuck with their First Act amps. It's not that we're lazy, we just can't find ways to get the money.

EDIT: I meant that I am impressed. I'm not attacking you or anything
Someone said something about the Spider Valve. Someone else said that one they said was false. Someone else said what that person said was false. Then one person said the Spider Valve is pretty nice. I don't see how that equates to a recommendation.

There was indeed one person who recommended he look into tube amps with out knowing his budget or what he specifically plays. I'll say that was stupid on his part. The vast majority of the thread never recommended one way or the other. They just said the amp is poor.

If the very basics are his only concern, he doesn't even need an amp.

$30 won't buy him anything. His only option is to save up. Even the Spider IV 15w is over triple his budget.
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by Alle.Metaldude
so, is it any good ?
good for metal / rock ?

Quote by Alle.Metaldude
yeah, like 15/30 watt.
I'm only 13 so my budget is like 30 $.

what are you playing through now?

if you're getting a used and working spider amp for $30, and are now using a
starter pack amp, then it might be worth it to buy it.

but if you're just asking because you're starting to save money and are intending on
getting a practice amp in the spider's price range,

then imo, there are better practice amps for the money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
People complain about it, but making money as a kid or teenager is easy as hell.

People like kids. Go around the neighborhood. See if anyone needs their dog walked or lawn mowed or windshield wiper fluid refilled. People see a little kid doing a jobb, go "awww" and give him 5 bucks for like 30 seconds of work.

Little harder for teenagers. If you're a girl I recommend car washes. Otherwise get a job, you lazy pricks. Yes, even the crappy jobs sweeping in the supermarket. They pay more money than you've probably ever seen before.

I wish I were still a kid
Blackstar HT-5, nice little high gain amp that most UG'ers like, Peavey Valveking or Classic 30, Marshall Class 5 with a distortion pedal, Fender Champion or Blues Junior with a distortion pedal, the Fender G-dec makes a great home room practice amp, since it is a modeling amp, but has drum beats, and backing tracks to help you improve your playing, not to mention it doesn't sound half bad.

There are a lot of different things out there, you just have to look.
Page 1 of 2