Hello guys,

When I get a little better at playing my Squire I'm thinking of getting a new American Standard, Can you guys tell me the difference between HSS and SSS? I mean considering i'll only be 18 by the time I pay for the guitar so, seeing as this will be my first 'good' guitar can you guys rate it out of 10?

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Electric_Guitars/sc1437/p7286.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_term={keyword}

Thanks.
HSS has a humbucker in the bridge for br00talz .. just means pickup config
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
The humbucker at the bridge of the HSS strat will allow you to play a wider variety of music, if you decide to play rock/metal, where as the SSS strat would work mainly for certain classic rock, blues, jazz, and such.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
American Standards are generally considered the cream of the crop for the working class musician, and are often called upon by professionals as well. An SSS has three single coil pickups and are great for cleans and blues-rock. An HSS has two single coils and a humbucker. This style of strat is my personal favorite because it can go from 1960 to modern sounds with the flick of a switch.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Why strat? There are so much more guitars than that, so why limit yourself? And you could specify which genres you're interested in. But whatever it would be, Strat would be the LAST guitar I would consider buying, I just don't like them.

Everyone knows they suck.
HSS Strats are crap...the humbucker with single coil thing never works because if you're playing a song that only calls for single coil type of sounds then you can never cut through the mix with an appropriate sound. Vice versa applies in this situation as well. If you want humbucker sound, get a Les Paul or SG. If you want single coil sound, get a Strat or Tele. American Standard SSS Stratocasters are some of the best guitars out there though.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I'd definitely go with the HSS. I have the SSS, and its not that I'm disappointed with how it sounds, I just prefer humbuckers over single coils, so to have that option on my strat would be great. I'm definitely picking up a humbucker for the bridge pickup sometime soon.
Not all HSS Strats are bad, but I personally don't like the stock humbucker. I have a '93 Mexican Strat that I put a Seymour Duncan JB into the bridge, and it does an excellent job of retaining the 'Strat sound' while beefing up the gain and tone as well. So if you do buy one, put a different humbucker in there.
Also, I really don't see a difference between American and Mexican guitars, but that could be due to the fact that my Mexi Strat was one of the earlier ones, and has much more quality than the current Mexican models. It's all a matter of preference.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
@EG-forum people:

Fender Strats >>>>> Schecters BTW
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by FRACTUREDx2
HSS Strats are crap...the humbucker with single coil thing never works because if you're playing a song that only calls for single coil type of sounds then you can never cut through the mix with an appropriate sound. Vice versa applies in this situation as well. If you want humbucker sound, get a Les Paul or SG. If you want single coil sound, get a Strat or Tele. American Standard SSS Stratocasters are some of the best guitars out there though.

Ever heard of a pickup selector? There's nothing wrong with the guitars you suggested, except they make HSS strats for a reason...on the neck pickup you get those real, unmistakable strat sounds, then you switch down to the bridge humbucker and you have a a beefier sound. I don't understand your reasoning as to why HSS guitars are crap.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Ever heard of a pickup selector? There's nothing wrong with the guitars you suggested, except they make HSS strats for a reason...on the neck pickup you get those real, unmistakable strat sounds, then you switch down to the bridge humbucker and you have a a beefier sound. I don't understand your reasoning as to why HSS guitars are crap.

He's jelly that he doesn't have one.

Strats are fantastic guitars. If you can't get a sound you want out of one, I will boil a shoe and eat it. It doesn't hurt to look around a little, but they're amazing guitars.

I actually prefer the SSS setup to HSS. I never needed a tone I couldn't find with some combination, from jazz to metal, and HSS just looks weird to me, haha.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
He's jelly that he doesn't have one.

Strats are fantastic guitars. If you can't get a sound you want out of one, I will boil a shoe and eat it. It doesn't hurt to look around a little, but they're amazing guitars.

I actually prefer the SSS setup to HSS. I never needed a tone I couldn't find with some combination, from jazz to metal, and HSS just looks weird to me, haha.

I definitely agree with everything you just said...except those new American Special HSS all blacks are suh-weet.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by JesusCrisp
@EG-forum people:

Fender Strats >>>>> Schecters BTW

no theyre not. unless u like playing a bunch and sing some piece of shit love songs
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by GrittyBlues
Hello guys,

When I get a little better at playing my Squire I'm thinking of getting a new American Standard, Can you guys tell me the difference between HSS and SSS? I mean considering i'll only be 18 by the time I pay for the guitar so, seeing as this will be my first 'good' guitar can you guys rate it out of 10?

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Electric_Guitars/sc1437/p7286.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_term={keyword}

Thanks.

Can't go wrong with an American Standard for some nice Fendery tones. The HSS configuration with the bridge humbucker will get you into some "harder" musical territory easier (imo)....Hard Rock, Classic Metal, Grungy stuff, etc so if you think you want that then get the HSS version from the get go.

IIRC the newest standards are all routed for H-S-H anyways so if you change your mind somewhere down the road you are covered for a variety of pickup configurations.

You may decide to buy a clean used model which would save you some money.
Quote by OliOsbourne
no theyre not. unless u like playing a bunch and sing some piece of shit love songs

What're you, some 16-year-old kid who thinks metal is the only good genre of music?

Oh damn, he's only 14 that's sooooo goth...
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by OliOsbourne

So Ritchie Blackmore, Dick Dale, Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteem, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dave Murray and a bunch of other guys just played a bunch of piece of shit love songs?

Yeah, you're right.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
So Ritchie Blackmore, Dick Dale, Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteem, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dave Murray and a bunch of other guys just played a bunch of piece of shit love songs?

Yeah, you're right.

HEY! Geez don't forget that whatshisnutz gates from avenged sevenfold plays a schecter! Hee brings teh br00tz and those other guise just r shit.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
I kinda rejoiced when their drummer died

I felt like a horrible person afterwards, though.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Why strat? There are so much more guitars than that, so why limit yourself? And you could specify which genres you're interested in. But whatever it would be, Strat would be the LAST guitar I would consider buying, I just don't like them.

then why bother responding to a strat oriented thread. i guess you have proven that your sig is correct.

i'm a strat guy myself. been thru all the major makes over the years and strats just seem to be the one that works best for me. i prefer an SSS set up but there are plenty of pickups out there that give you the ability to do metal etc (i have lace sensors in my main strat). don't fall for the strats can't do metal (actually any guitar can do whatever you need it to with some work) etc crap. granted it's not the first choice for severely downtuned br00talz but there is far more to music than that.
Quote by Zeletros

then why bother responding to a strat oriented thread. i guess you have proven that your sig is correct.

i'm a strat guy myself. been thru all the major makes over the years and strats just seem to be the one that works best for me. i prefer an SSS set up but there are plenty of pickups out there that give you the ability to do metal etc (i have lace sensors in my main strat). don't fall for the strats can't do metal (actually any guitar can do whatever you need it to with some work) etc crap. granted it's not the first choice for severely downtuned br00talz but there is far more to music than that.

one bro hug for you.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by monwobobbo

one bro hug for you.

thanx (stated in a manly no i'm not gay kinda way)

how are the SX strats i've heard a few good things about them but haven't played one yet/
Or, what about a Gibson SG Standard? My budget is going to be around £1000. Or is it really worth waiting for a LP?
Quote by GrittyBlues
Or, what about a Gibson SG Standard? My budget is going to be around £1000. Or is it really worth waiting for a LP?

totally depends on the sound you want and the feel that best suites you. SGs and LPs will play and sound very different from a strat. all are good guitars so it really comes down to taste.
Quote by monwobobbo
totally depends on the sound you want and the feel that best suites you. SGs and LPs will play and sound very different from a strat. all are good guitars so it really comes down to taste.

Guessing the idea would be to trot down to my local guitar center and try each of them out?
well yeah that would be a really good idea in all cases. try as many guitars as you can becasue you really just never know. last year i strolled in my local GC and in the used section there was a Squier Esprit. wasn't familiar with it and it wasn't really what i normaly play. tried it anyways as i do like to at least try out different guitars for the experience. plugged into a Mesa Lonestar and bam got the gary moore blues tone. suffice to say i bought the guitar ($200 and it was a NOS guitar so not actually used what a steal). now i would have never even thought about getting one if i hadn't played it. so yeah try em out and see what works best for you.
The SX strat is about the best $100 bucks I've ever spent...the pickups are a little weak and the neck is cheap, but that's it. I really like it alot, but I'm in the process of building my dream strat
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
If you're going to look into LPs, I'd look into P90s.

If you're willing to definitely spend more, I'd go for a PRS Modern Eagle III

or alternatively, a PRS 513

Although, not to say a strat wouldn't suit you. I love my strat, and I'm never going to part with it, and I'll probably buy more strats. I don't think there is a single sound I haven't been able to obtain from my strat. I can always customize it if I need too.