So I got a Ibanez STM-1 Sam Totman Signature Iceman for Christmas and I finally got it setup perfectly for Drop B tuning however the pickups seem to be a little "meh" when it comes to output. I've got a good chunk of money saved up for a new amp and cabinet (Madison Divinity II) but I fear as though my guitar will bottleneck it's capabilities.

I've always kind of though modifying a signature guitar was a bit of a "faux pas" but I figure it's the only Iceman Ibanez has released that comes with a Double Locking Trem system so I didn't really have another economically sound option to choose from. I know "Dragonforce = Studioforce" I've seen them live twice, and I didn't really buy the guitar for the name at the top but I <3 Icemans? Icemen? So would it be "sacrilege" to modify a signature guitar?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Do what you want. & plus, with new pups it'll sound a little less like dragonforce. Which is always a good thing.
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
I would modify it too. I modify pretty much all my guitars, but I also never sell my guitars.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
how many modded Les Pauls have you seen in your life? more than you can count I presume.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ultimately, It's still just a guitar. Just because it has some artist's name glazed across the headstock doesn't make it any different. Besides, a normal guitar is an artist model as well, that being, YOU, the artist. Meh. I think so anyway.

Just do what you need to do to make it yours, and don't let those screaming blasphemy change your mind.
dude I stripped all the paint of my malmsteen strat and turned in into one like jake e lee had in the "last time" video......it's just a guitar haha
Quote by Jhachey22
how many modded Les Pauls have you seen in your life? more than you can count I presume.

I don't know how good of a comparison that is. A Les Paul is more or less it's own shape rather than a signature guitar. Plus I've probably seen more modded ESP ECs than I have Les Pauls.

So any suggestions as to what kind of pickups? I was thinking an EMG 89X neck and a Blackout Metal bridge.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
^ Well, it was the original signature guitar... So every sig Les Paul out there now is actually a signature mod of a signature guitar
I'd say mod it how ever you want, but you do realize that the STM1 has Evo's right? Passives don't get a whole hell of a lot hotter than that. I think the lack of output is more due to the Line 6 than the pickups.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
yeah, with a modeling amp and a distortion, it's really tough to get it distorted sounds to sound... right. Since you are getting the amp anyway, maybe wait until you hear how your guitar sounds through it, then decide.

But as for the original question, I don't really thing there's any taboo in modding a guitar, even a signature one. I mean, how did they get a signature in the first place? by making or changing a guitar to their specs.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by xstillspinninx
I'd say mod it how ever you want, but you do realize that the STM1 has Evo's right? Passives don't get a whole hell of a lot hotter than that. I think the lack of output is more due to the Line 6 than the pickups.

Yea I'm not using the Line 6 anymore. I haven't update my sig since Christmas. I'm currently running through a ENGL Practice Amp my guitar teacher lent me. The Line 6 is dead and gone which is why I'm saving up. And ofc, about 2 weeks of pay left before I could purchase my amp, Madison goes out of business...
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Last edited by Foxy Roxy at Aug 30, 2010,
Theres your reason spend your money on the amp then see how it sounds if you do change you pups i will happily take those evos off you hands

*hint* *hint*
Might want to change the trem, that comes with an Edge III if I remember correctly. The pickups should be alright, Evos are pretty popular and they sound nice
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 30, 2010,