I wanna start learning by ear, but don't really know where to start with what songs I should pick that are easy for me to learn at first D:
Ac/dc songs, doom metal songs
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Basically anything that sounds really simple, just stick to riffs for a while until you get more skill and confidence in doing it. It's a really harsh learning curve at first, it'll take you a while to get the idea of how it works.

It'll also help a lot if you learn your theory really well; if it's a relatively simple song then you can often get a good idea of what's going to be in a song just by thinking out the theory first and from there it's just a question of applying the notes and rhythm to what you know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Any acousticsongs? I should of mentioned I only have an acoustic guitar atm >_<
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basically anything that sounds really simple, just stick to riffs for a while until you get more skill and confidence in doing it. It's a really harsh learning curve at first, it'll take you a while to get the idea of how it works.

It'll also help a lot if you learn your theory really well; if it's a relatively simple song then you can often get a good idea of what's going to be in a song just by thinking out the theory first and from there it's just a question of applying the notes and rhythm to what you know.

What theory should I focus on?
Quote by Kiery

ima be serious now.

learn the majot and minor scales, work on each one and slowly learn the shapes round the neck.

do it in E and slowly develop into other keys, but just learn the Emaj scale and the Em scale in positions. also, learn multipule phrasings of different chords.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
"Tom" by Chevelle is an extremely simple acoustic song, though it's kinda hard to find on any mainstream sites. Go to chevelleonline.net and look around for it.
learn your major scale and listen to a few pop songs a lot, the melodies will be easier to pick out. also listen to old classics like gershwin, and berlin. or the beatles for more rock
Quote by Kiery

Just general theory, read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns

There's a lot to learn so take it slow, don't get ahead of yourself.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Banjocal
ima be serious now.

learn the majot and minor scales, work on each one and slowly learn the shapes round the neck.

do it in E and slowly develop into other keys, but just learn the Emaj scale and the Em scale in positions. also, learn multipule phrasings of different chords.

This is all jibberish to me :') I'll look it up though.. but most of the websites I look up when I try to learn stuff are rubbish D:
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Happy Birthday
Frère Jacques

etc.

I'm being totally serious. They're simple and well-known melodies, making them the perfect launching pad for learning to transcribe.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Happy Birthday
Frère Jacques

etc.

I'm being totally serious. They're simple and well-known melodies, making them the perfect launching pad for learning to transcribe.

Building from this: try getting some TV theme melodies down as well, sit in front of a TV and try to get some of the main melodies by ear; they're usually quite simple and they're everywhere so if you have trouble getting it first time... don't worry, it'll be around again in a moment

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Happy Birthday
Frère Jacques

etc.

hahaa I'll try them

"Tom" by Chevelle is an extremely simple acoustic song, though it's kinda hard to find on any mainstream sites. Go to chevelleonline.net and look around for it.

This song is actually awesome.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Building from this: try getting some TV theme melodies down as well, sit in front of a TV and try to get some of the main melodies by ear; they're usually quite simple and they're everywhere so if you have trouble getting it first time... don't worry, it'll be around again in a moment

Good idea I'm not completely clueless to transcribing, but I find transcribing chords very hard D: I transcribed Iron Man - Black Sabbath intro bit :') that's a start I guess
Quote by Kiery
I usually start learning theory.. then just forget about it >_<

I take it that many people do the same. If you want to learn theory make it easy on yourself and get a guitar teacher.
Quote by Hab Fan
I take it that many people do the same. If you want to learn theory make it easy on yourself and get a guitar teacher.

I would man if I could afford it, I'll just try on my own :\
Heyy ... Maybe Feeder: Buck Rogers .. But i warn you its hard to learn by ear there are other options guitar pro or tabs maybe?
Quote by dafto
Heyy ... Maybe Feeder: Buck Rogers .. But i warn you its hard to learn by ear there are other options guitar pro or tabs maybe?

No. Never advise someone against improving their ear just because it's hard work. Being able to transcribe other people's work by ear is the first step to being completely free in composing your own music.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No. Never advise someone against improving their ear just because it's hard work. Being able to transcribe other people's work by ear is the first step to being completely free in composing your own music.

Yeah I don't wanna rely on tabs all of my life, and not all tabs are accurate so..
I started of learning ACDC by ear, it was pretty damn easy. So yeah, that's a good starting point. Even some Zeppelin riffs are pretty simple and fun as hell to play
thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I get my electric guitar
I just transcribed "The Man Who Sold the World" cover by Nirvana. It was pretty simple. Just remember to drop all strings a half step. I was confused for like five minutes
Quote by VentilatorBlue
I started of learning ACDC by ear, it was pretty damn easy. So yeah, that's a good starting point. Even some Zeppelin riffs are pretty simple and fun as hell to play

Yeah, +1 for this. I was actually going to suggest Living Loving Maid by Zeppelin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKI1k7LSAIE
Fun song