okay a short boring story to set the scene so just skip it if you cant be arsed.

I'm up a scaffold at work talking to this other fella who plays guitar aswell and he asks me what im going to get for my next guitar, i mention that im not sure but i wouldnt mind getting a strat and doing it up.
anyway at lunch he went to a cafe in town and i went home, when i got back to work he mentions that hes got something in the boot of his car that might interest me, i have a look and in his boot is a banged up squier strat. he explains that as he was walking past a guitar shop on his way to lunch and some guy was going to give this strat to the shop owner as he no longer needed it. anyway he bought it off him and sold it to me for £5 (which is ... $7 maybe). which leads me here

tldr i got a squier strat for £5

anyway pics, i didnt take any pics before i disassembled it but it was missing all electronics and it looked as though the previous owner had attempted a very bad relic job on it.

the condition of the body when i got it

sanding progress. can anyone tell me what wood this is?

after rasping and sanding. im going for a sort of RGD/sg/strat sort of look

headstock. i sketched out a few ideas but decided that tis was probably the best could make out of a strat headstock

what the guitar will eventually look like

masking taped

and just for fun the trem cavity cover, it still needs a bit of work and im going to redo the "I Am Hated" text. im not a great artist thats why its a bit meh :/

i like Jim Root

hmm i tried inserting them as actual images but i got that little weired broken image symbol so i assume the picture were too large.

i just undercoated it earlier and ill sand that down and hopeful start painting tomorrow.

my plan
Paint it red (lol)
black hardware (i have no idea who to get from though, i dont want to spend a fortune on a cheap guitar but i would like it to stay in tune)
hss config with a single volume controland no tone knob, so im looking for cool ideas on what i can put in the other two pot positions, if you have any ideas let me know.

pickup wise im want something gnarly in the bridge so im between: iron gear hotslag (budget option) bareknuckle nailbomb (prolly just dreaming) or something by rockmonkey. unless someone else has a suggestion

as for the single coils i really havent a clue, ive never really used them before so if anyone has suggestions for a single coil with a nice rounded tone for leads and solos im all ears.

other than that id just like to mention that this is my first aattempt at doing something like this so any tips are welcome.

cheers

Nath
Sweet! I would have liked to get that. That would be a fun one to mess around with. If you wanted to, you could buy good hardware for this one, like Good tuners, and you could always take them off later if you wanted to put them on another guitar.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Well for pickups ultimate pickup thread should help.

As for the other knobs you can have a treble cut, bass cut, spin-a-split, blend pot. You can also make them push pull pots and wire stuff out of phase, series, parrallel, etc.

See wiring thread for more ideas.

Stewmac, ebay, amazon, GFS, etc. for hardware.

If you took the sealer thing off when you sanded it i would reccomend using grain filler before you prime, paint, clear it.

Also for the painting, invader jim made a spraypainting tutorial which can be found in the essential links thread which is helpful.
Well, the grain is fairly prominent and semi-close, so it's not basswood and I don't think it's Agathis, so it might be an Affinity Strat (Alder body).

Congrats on the steal, and the carves look awesome
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Now I want to do that on my Squier
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
yup definitely alder. i got a squier body that looked very similar to that, but it was many more pieces, unfortunately...that one looks to be a bit nicer than mine.

i don't think squier uses anything other than alder, if the guitar's made of real wood...

edit forgot a pickup selection -- lace sensors might do you well - silver in middle blue on neck...pretty versatile and high output
Last edited by CapnMudGuru at Aug 29, 2010,
thanks for the input guys, after priming it it became evident that there were still some tool marks from where i used the rasp, and in places the rasp work is uneven but im not too bothered about this, it wont affect playability and is only really noticable upon close inspection.

anyway i started spraying it today but had to stop when quite a nasty run developed. never the less i will sand it down and respray if necessary once its dry, after that its wet sanding clearcoat and buffing (at least thats the plan).

i checked out those lace sensors, and they sound great but im not sure if my budget will stretch that far for pickups that will be used less than the bridge, so at the moment im thinking of this:

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_019.htm

in the middle position, mainly for cleans (in the clips it seems a bit more defined for cleans in the middle than when in the neck). but im still undecided on the neck.

as for the bridge pickup, this is the one i would rather sink money into but im still undecided. i saw a bareknuckle nail bomb on ebay the other day for £65 buy it now and like a total moron i left it too late and didnt get it.

onto the subject of bridges, what is the opinion of the quality of this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WILKINSON-WVC-SB-TREMOLO-Stratocaster-Strat-Black-NEW-/380261343717?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories

and these tuners
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wilkinson-Black-guitar-tuners-3-a-side-No-5-6-7or-8-/140282361512?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories

its about as far as my budget will stretch for these items but from what i understand wilkinson are reasonable quality.

what do you guys think? like i said i dont want to spend a fortune but i want it to stay in tune.

any thoughts suggestions or links with cheaper prices(lol) are very welcome

cheers

Nath
Quote by CapnMudGuru
yup definitely alder. i got a squier body that looked very similar to that, but it was many more pieces, unfortunately...that one looks to be a bit nicer than mine.

i don't think squier uses anything other than alder, if the guitar's made of real wood...

edit forgot a pickup selection -- lace sensors might do you well - silver in middle blue on neck...pretty versatile and high output

The Squier Affinity series guitars and basses use Alder. Others are Basswood, its backwards cousin Agathis, or a cheap Mahogany for some guitars.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

just a small update with a mockup pic.

the bridge and tuners arrived today so all i need now is the electronics and pickups. my plan is to clear coat it this weekend.

im expecting alot of hate for this but i always liked that inlay (mines just vinyl though so it may get removed one day)

other letters may be getting added to it aswell ive not decided yet

i painted out the inlays aswell, they are easily noticeable up close but from a distance they give the desired effect of a blank fretboard.

has anybody got any suggestions on what to put on the headstock?

im still undecided on how im going to wire it aswell. i have a hss pickguard with the slots for standard strat controls. i looked through the wiring thread but nothing really caught my eye

all i want really is a 3 way switch and a volume control, i dont want any tone controls.
i would like something interesting but i have no idea what i could put in any suggestions.

any thoughts or ideas on headstock logos/stencils ect and cool wiring ideas are more than welcome.

cheers

Nath
That's really cool, congrats. You could sign the headstock in black marker and then lacquer over it? Alternatively there are some companies on the internet and eBay that will make you a custom decal.
Quote by 2841981
in his boot is a banged up squier strat.

+

=

Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

in american it would be "in his trunk"

i did think about signing it but my signature is a bit boring

edit: beaten to it lol
The carve on that body is AWESOME. Didnt expect it to look that good but i may have to mess about in a similar way with a cheapy guitar.
hey guys, well ive decided that this is as far as im going to take this project, ive put more money into it than i originally intended. it doesnt stand up to close scrutiny but its probably as good as i could get it

any way pics

i have one Major gripe at the moment though, no matter what i do i cant seem to get palm mutes to sound right, theres no balls to them it sounds asthough it isnt plugged in. any ideas what this might be? i used an old strat pot for the volume (so i assume its 250k) could that be the cause?

cheers

Nath
I actually really like that shape.
It adds a lot of character to the boring old strat shape.

Did you just hand sand the horns that shape, or did you use a sander?
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by 2841981
hey guys, well ive decided that this is as far as im going to take this project, ive put more money into it than i originally intended. it doesnt stand up to close scrutiny but its probably as good as i could get it

any way pics

i have one Major gripe at the moment though, no matter what i do i cant seem to get palm mutes to sound right, theres no balls to them it sounds asthough it isnt plugged in. any ideas what this might be? i used an old strat pot for the volume (so i assume its 250k) could that be the cause?

cheers

Nath

Killer mod

Slap some 500k pots in it, and make sure the humbuckers are wired in series, not parallel. You may want to raise them up a bit, or if they're already really high, bring them down some.

Stupid name.

thanks guys, im quite happy with the way it turned out, i still think i bit off a bit more than i could chew. i still need to sort the wiring out, and the action leaves alot to be desired

ive taken your advice a got this on its way

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280559037721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

so hopefully that will sort out my tone.

speaking of my action, im used to my mtm2's(rg's) and the action on them is quite low so has anyone got anygood guides for seting up strats? It also looks like the previous owner had the frets stoned/leveled(or this guitar was played a hell of a lot) and as a res

ive tried setting the action, and the guitar frets out on the 17th & 18th fret high e, Is that fixable via intonation/setup or does that mean that fret is fecked?

cheers for any input people