Hello, I would just like a bit of help if you have time. So, I've just recently (today) spent some time with my guitar teacher's POD X3 Pro. I spent two and a half hours with it actually. I really, really like the cleans tones on this unit. However, I absolutely could not get a good metal distortion out of it. I either got too much/too little distortion, or it'd be too bassy and muddy. I am debating on whether or not to buy a POD X3 (bean) myself, but I'm not going to if I, myself, am not able to get good distortion tone. I've recently purchased a Randall RX120RH half stack and various pieces of equipment for my studio (I spent over $1500 last week alone) and am now looking for a new piece of recording equipment to go along with my Randall. So, enough with my ranting. Since I am not able to download patches for the unit due to the fact that I do not own it, could someone please give me some good settings for metal distortion. Preferably a thrash type sound if possible.

Amp model
Stomp box (if used)
Comp
Which mic and if it's on/off axis
Which cab
EQ
EQ settings
etc, etc

Sorry if I carried on. Thanks.
Quote by Pat_s1t
I cant be of any help because my Pod X3 is 1500 km away, but they're pretty easy to get good distortion if you use stuff like boosts, compressors, the EQ, etc.

Yeah, but I'm looking for settings and stuff. Details about which amp, compressors, stomp box, etc, etc. Thanks for the reply though.
what setup were you using with your teachers X3 pro? ie, into an amp, headphone, or monitors, etc...?
Quote by rgoring
what setup were you using with your teachers X3 pro? ie, into an amp, headphone, or monitors, etc...?

A very expensive set of headphones.
customtone.com is your best friend 99.999999% of the time. love it for my POD
search for glenn delaune on youtube, he has a ton of videos up on how to get great tones of out pod x3.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
search for glenn delaune on youtube, he has a ton of videos up on how to get great tones of out pod x3.

Alright, I'll see if I can find those videos. Thanks for the reply.
Why did you buy the Randall half stack if you don't intend to use any of its sounds?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Why did you buy the Randall half stack if you don't intend to use any of its sounds?

No, I use it's sounds. I'm planning on using both the sound of my Randall AND the POD (if I get one) for recording. Randall on one track, POD on other.
Quote by Gurut
No, I use it's sounds. I'm planning on using both the sound of my Randall AND the POD (if I get one) for recording. Randall on one track, POD on other.

"...I use ITS sounds..."

Bad grammar on my part. Shouldn't have been "it's".
i want to reply explaining about the X3, but i'm still a little baffled as to why you bought a solid state half stack, for recording?
Quote by rgoring
i want to reply explaining about the X3, but i'm still a little baffled as to why you bought a solid state half stack, for recording?

That's prejudice.
Depending on the tone you're looking for, a solid state amp can be the right choice.

I had a Randall RX120RH for a month that i borrowed from a friend before buying my Laney LV300H, and it's a great amp for metal.
I would've bought it for myself if i didn't find the Laney.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by rgoring

I prefer the distortion of 90% of solid state amps and, since I can't afford the really high end tube amps like an ENGL or Bogner, the Randall was a great choice for me personally. That's just me and nobody hears things the same way.
Quote by Linkerman
That's prejudice.
Depending on the tone you're looking for, a solid state amp can be the right choice.

I had a Randall RX120RH for a month that i borrowed from a friend before buying my Laney LV300H, and it's a great amp for metal.
I would've bought it for myself if i didn't find the Laney.

Yeah, the Randall is great for metal. Sure, it doesn't have as much gain as some other high gain amps, but it has enough to serve my purpose. I've never even heard of that Laney LV300H head though.
Quote by Gurut
I prefer the distortion of 90% of solid state amps and, since I can't afford the really high end tube amps like an ENGL or Bogner, the Randall was a great choice for me personally. That's just me and nobody hears things the same way.

since you answered like this, i completely understand and respect your choice. I guess i'm more curious now about what your intened use for the X3 is, seeing as you have the amp to get the tone your after. I read your other thread on the UX8, if your on a budget, and you dont really need 8 tracks at once, howbout a UX2?

Personally, to get heavy tones that I like with the X3, i tend to stick with the 5150, soldano, recto, marshall jubilee or even the variacd' plexi models. I like to run the gain a little bit lower than usual, but then use either the vetta juice or blue comp treb stompbox to push it harder. its worth playing around with the cab models too, my fav's are the V30 or green25's.

like you said tho, these are the tones that sounds good to MY ears.

definately checkout glenn dulaune-aka-extremevideopro on youtube - his parametric EQ tip is worth trying.
If you're looking for a good thrash type sound from a pod X3 I'd recomend using the JCM800 model. put the gain around 2 o'clock and use the graphic EQ to give it a low mid boost for extra umph and do the amp EQ to taste (can't remember what I EQed it to off the top of my head).

You'll probably also want to use either the Tubescreamer or tube overdrive stomp models as well. I usually put those at drive on full, gain around 10%-15%, and tone to taste.

For cabs I usually use the G-12T-75 or V30 loaded Marshall models.
You really have to spend a lot of time with the EQ on the X3 to get a good distortion out of it. I think I spend about 2 minutes setting up an amp with corresponding effects, and then I'll spend hours tweaking the EQ.

I still found it left something to be desired though, so I threw an MXR 10-band in my efx loop (I'm running my X3 through a Valveking 100). It went from good to insanely good when I added the MXR. I found that using this config, I had to set my bass and treble to 0 on the amp (clean channel with bright enabled) and the mids become a pseudo-boost, which I typically set to 5+ depending on the volume level I want.

If you find your tones to be muddy even with EQ tweaks, you can try it with no cabinet model. It's about as bright as you can get with this system.

FWIW, I favor the Line6 Insane amp model with the Classic Distortion pedal maxed out for the heavier, metal tones.

But ultimately with these systems, there are far too many variables for someone to give you that perfect tone straight from their setup. I can't stand customtone.com for this reason. You might get a good starting point if you're lucky, but the person who made it is more than likely going to have a different output and different pickups, etc. However, the potential for a really good tone is always there with the X3 due to its flexibility, so it's just a matter of setting it up.
i've used one. i never got a good distortion unless there was a tubescreamer model first, with the overdrive way up on the tubescreamer, and the drive on the amp down to about 60.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
another trick i sometimes use is to setup the dual tones with identical amps and settings, but use different mic's and early reflection (room position) settings (just like screening as you would in a studio).
remember tho, the X3 is designed to give you POST recording tones, and therefor will not sound like a regular amp played in the same room..

as said before, theres a completely different way to set this thing up for live sounds (which i also use)