Hey there,

I'm from the UK but spending ten months at University in America. I'm looking to get cheapish but decent electric or acoustic for the two semesters I'm here. I've had a look in some local stores, but I get the feeling they over-charge a bit and there's nothing I really like the look of. So I think I'm going to get something online.

But I have no idea what are the best online guitar stores in the US.

So... yeah, where is best?
That and it's really the only one that exists besides sweetwater lol
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
That and it's really the only one that exists besides sweetwater lol

But Sweetwater is better! best CS in the business.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I buy quite a bit from Musician's Friend, but I really like Sweetwater, because they have pics of the actual guitars for sale on their site, rather than stock photos. They post 'em by serial number.
I've also read good reviews of American Musical Supply.

Prices are the same across the board. Sweetwater does have a 55 point inspection process, whatever that entails.
SweetWater is the best if you're buying a high end product. GC/Musician's Friend/Music123 are all the same company. Never dealt with Sam Ash.
Quote by lazlong
I buy quite a bit from Musician's Friend, but I really like Sweetwater, because they have pics of the actual guitars for sale on their site, rather than stock photos. They post 'em by serial number.

this puts them on higher ground, so yes i recommend sweetwater
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Also, there's no VAT/sales tax on stuff bought online. It's all tax-free.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Also, there's no VAT/sales tax on stuff bought online. It's all tax-free.

I bought a guitar online from GC and they charged me like $30 in tax... I was pissed.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 31, 2010,
Odd, considering the online part can't charge sales tax.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Odd, considering the online part can't charge sales tax.

Actually, from what I understand, if the online seller has a retail outlet in your state they are legally required to charge sales tax. I know GC charged me and I was angry. That's why Musician's Friend is my favorite. Plus their prices can't be beat.
Quote by cjmabry
Actually, from what I understand, if the online seller has a retail outlet in your state they are legally required to charge sales tax. I know GC charged me and I was angry. That's why Musician's Friend is my favorite. Plus their prices can't be beat.

This is exactly correct. If they sell in your state, they're required to pay sales tax in your state. They just pass their tax burden onto you, same as every other retailer in your state.

Sweetwater and Sam Ash will match Musician's Friend's prices, as will American Musical Supply. If you call them on the phone, you may get a sales rep who's willing to toss in something extra, or drop a few bucks off the price. Never be afraid to ask.

If it's a guitar, I'll go to Sweetwater. I like seeing the woodgrain of the instrument I'm buying. Many of their guitars have high-res close-up photos. These include the headstock (front and rear), body (front, rear, and an additional angle or two), whole guitar front, and whole guitar rear. You have to scroll up and down to see the whole pic if you click "zoom".

This is especially important if you're buying something that shows the wood grain.

I bought my Epi Les Paul Ultra there, and I couldn't be happier!
For used, I had a really good experience with Daddy's Junky online. The thing to look out for is spelling- each one is entered by hand and they're not checked or edited, so abbreviations and inconsistencies make it a little more troublesome. For example, when pricing a Vypyr, I got some results with "Vypyr," then other and a few duplicate results for "Vypyer." :P
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
How does sweetwater compare to musiciansfriend?, seems to be the best 2 options?
Last edited by githead at Sep 2, 2010,
Sweetwater is pro audio so their selections is limited but excellent store. I bought my Bogner Alchemist 112 there. For other stuff I bought at Musician's Friend.

Except my guitars which are Carvins and bought at Carvin.

As to the sales taxes, if the outlets (warehouses) are in your states you'll have to pay it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Sep 1, 2010,