Is it really worth it to spend more money on expensive leads?
Do they last longer, really give better (noticeable) tone, or both?
Should they be used for everything, even for patch leads between pedals?

Thanks

EDIT: And also, any recommended brands? I'm a big fan of Elixir strings, so Elixir cables are my natural choice. Anyone had any experience with them?
Adam Black 12 String
Alesis X Guitar
Epiphone DR-200ce
Italia Maranello Standard
Fender American Deluxe Strat

Digitech Whammy
Vox Crybaby
Behringer UD100
Boss RC-2

Roland Cube 15
Marshall DSL-401
Sound City 20 Watt Valve
Last edited by dwally89 at Aug 28, 2010,
There was an article about this awhile back.

Tone-wise, they really don't do anything, although you get the illusion that they do because you just dropped $50+ on it.

In terms of durability, yes they will last much longer. I must've gone through at least 5 cables a year until I got a Mogami, and that trooper's been with me for about 5 years now. The initial blow hurts, but it's a good long-term investment.

My recommendation if your looking at quality cabling is Mogami over Monster. My Mogami has never died, yet I went through 3 Monster cables in about a month because they kept crapping out. Now GC replaced them with no questions asked, but it's a pain in the ass to have to keep going back.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
It's worth it up to a point, but there are many cables that aren't worth near what they sell for. The biggest difference between cables is in durability and construction quality. Planet Waves cables are pretty good and come with a replacement warranty iirc.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Low noise cable with some good connectors (B&H, Neutrik,etc) is always a sound choice(imo). Lots of people making them online for about $1 a foot plus connector cost.
award session or kabl are good quality and good value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know that there are really great quality cables out there, but I can't bring myself to pay as much as they are to get one. A while back, I got a 20ft cable off ebay for like $5, and it suits me just fine.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by swordsofplague
Tone-wise, they really don't do anything, although you get the illusion that they do because you just dropped $50+ on it.

Are you sure about this, because if you listen to the comparison on the Elixir website, especially the studio comparison, you can hear a big difference.

Has anyone had any experience with Elixir cables?
Adam Black 12 String
Alesis X Guitar
Epiphone DR-200ce

Digitech Whammy
Vox Crybaby
Behringer UD100
Boss RC-2

Roland Cube 15
Marshall DSL-401
Sound City 20 Watt Valve
Quote by dwally89
Are you sure about this, because if you listen to the comparison on the Elixir website, especially the studio comparison, you can hear a big difference.

Has anyone had any experience with Elixir cables?

Can't say I have, but I second Mogami, worth the extra money and they blow Monster away.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'm reluctant to trust audio coming from the company selling the product... I mean, you have no way of knowing whether it was doctored, whether it was post edited, whether the controls were kept the same, etc. If I'm not doing the test myself I don't know these things for sure.

Anyways, I wouldn't particularly trust Elixir. I don't even like their strings, so I wouldn't be too crazed to try out their cables. As has been said, typically anything high quality with good connectors is a good choice. Some people like high capacitance, some people like low capacitance. You can decide that for yourself and choose accordingly.

Planet Waves and Monster have deals with GC and Sam Ash, etc. so that if they go bad, you can bring them into the store and get a replacement no questions asked. That may be something to think about.
I swear by my Planet Waves cable. It's been through an insane amount of abuse and it still sounds like the day I got it. My various monster cables, on the other hand, have started crackling after about a year on average. There's nothing wrong with the elixir cables but they won't give you the huge tone boost you're expecting unless you're using the crazy-thin cable that comes with a starter kit. And if you are, then any cable will have the same effect.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by josephde
Planet Waves and Monster have deals with GC and Sam Ash, etc. so that if they go bad, you can bring them into the store and get a replacement no questions asked. That may be something to think about.

I live in the UK, so wouldn't be able to benefit from that.
Does anyone know if any of the stores in the UK do a similar replacement service?
Adam Black 12 String
Alesis X Guitar
Epiphone DR-200ce

Digitech Whammy
Vox Crybaby
Behringer UD100
Boss RC-2

Roland Cube 15
Marshall DSL-401
Sound City 20 Watt Valve
Also is it worth it to buy good quality/expensive patch leads too?
Adam Black 12 String
Alesis X Guitar
Epiphone DR-200ce

Digitech Whammy
Vox Crybaby
Behringer UD100
Boss RC-2

Roland Cube 15
Marshall DSL-401
Sound City 20 Watt Valve
as i said, you can get good quality without it costing the earth. to your question, yeah. They probably won't make as big as difference as a 20ft lead will, but they'll still make a difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?