I've been planning out what I want for my pedal board, and I always end finding I want a bunch of different options and combinations of overdrive, distorted, and fuzzy goodness. The problem is that there's so much out there, and there's no way to filter through it without just listening to clips. Even then I end up with a list of pedals and no way to narrow it down.

So I need some help.

I need recommendations on the short of things I'm looking for so I can get a better idea of what's out there. I know what I'm looking for, so I figure I'll just give you a sort description and hope you know what I'm talking about.

1. A smooth, somewhat tamed, fuzz. Something that I can put at the beginning of my chain and use with wah or light overdrive without it getting too crazy.

2. A nice raunchy, in-your-face, fuzz. I want it to be nice and thick, lots of usable fuzz. Not something so ridiculous that all you get is fizz and hiss. I want something like an old school ZZ Top sound, a nice Blues-Rock fuzz.

3. Distortion with it's fair share of hair. I want something that can get enough gain to get play Punk and Grunge stuff, but cleans up enough for more Modern Rock and 80s Rock stuff. I'm thinking about getting two different distortions because it seems like a lot of ground to cover. I've been looking at the Proco You Dirty Rat, Homebrew Full Metal Jacket, and the D*A*M Ezekiel 25:17 (harder to find, but sounds sexy). But I feel like I've just hit the tip of the iceberg.

4. A transparent overdrive that doesn't really add a whole lot of gain, but I can use a good boost. Something I stomp on for solos and use it to drive my tubes a little harder, but works well if I use it to boost a distortion or fuzz pedal. Basically something I can use by itself, or to push my Big Muff a little harder.

5. A rich bluesy overdrive. Something that can go from creamy overdrive to a thick blues grit. Something I can use for Blues, Blues-Rock, Southern Rock, Classic Rock, and more along those lines. Something with a lot of response and character.

6. A pedal that can get the distorted sounds of voltage sag. I've been looking at the Electro Harmonix Germanium OD and the Fairfield Barbershop OD, but both are really different and I figure there's a whole lot more out there.

7. A nice treble booster. Something to some of those Brian May sounds, or the trebley sound of the Whole Lotta Love solo. I'm thinking just a Range Master clone. I like the Analogman stuff and the Plum Crazy Squawker, but I could use some suggestions.

I know its a big wall-o-text so if you just offer me a couple suggestions I would really appreciate it. A lot of you will say to try it out, but the only guitar shop near me is a Guitar Center and they don't keep too many pedals stocked to try out. So any help would be great.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 28, 2010,
Woah.
ok here i go:
1 and 2 can be achieved with a Stomp Under Foot Rams Head/Helephant pedal. (or maybe even one of those newer Foxy pedals)
http://stompunderfoot.com/
For 3 i would suggest something like a Catalinbread SCO or DLS (The SCO is more of an 80's tight metal pedal, and the DLS is more like a stock JCM)
For 4 i'd go for a Zendrive/Tanabe Dumkudo, it functions as a very cool boost pedal and it's got very smooth overdrive (i happen to be selling one )
5 would be covered by 4 i think
6, i would say the new EHX Big Muff Germanium 4
7, Whole lotta love was a wah pedal i think, Page uses his wah as a treble booster. you can get someone off these forums to build you one for a very low price really.
i've only really got a suggestion for #2...

...EWS Fuzzy Drive. only problem is I can't find them in stock anywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CcPaK0ulbM
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Wow, lots of dirt, when you actually get all this you're going to be wondering why in gods name you bought so many since most of these can be covered by a few pedals.

1 Something muffy, like claude says, the SUF stuff should be good
2 Some kind of fuzz face, not the red dunlop one though, ^or that they sound pretty sweet from clips
3 Barber Dirty Bomb
4 Catalinbread SK, if you can find one, Timmy prehaps
5 See above
6 Get a box, a pot, 2 DC power inputs, build yourself a voltage sag box, its easy to do, and you can connect it to any of your pedals
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/
7 Build yourself a rangemaster, easy enough to do.
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p618_The-Range---Germanium-Treblebooster-kit.html
Thanks for the suggestions! I realize it's a huge wall of text, so I'm glad anyone even posted.

I was thinking about what you had said about it being a lot of dirt, and the only reason I had planned on getting seven different pedals to do what I wanted was because I wouldn't have time to tweak everything between songs in a live setting. But as I thought about it, I realized I could maybe cut things back.

Do you think I could get everything I want for 3, 4, and 5 by using a lighter distortion and boosting it with another overdrive for more distortion? Because that would save me a pedal. I like the sound of the vintage Marshall Guv'nor (for distortion/overdrive), what are your thoughts on it? Could another pedal do the same thing better?

Also, I have a Big Muff already. I really like the way it sounds with light Overdrive, but will it sound good with a Wah too? Because I haven't tried it out with one yet, and it seems like it wouldn't.

@Spiff - I'm really digging the sound of that fuzz box.

EDIT - Just stumbled across the Barber Trifecta, opinions?
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 29, 2010,
Sure you can stack ODs to get the tones you like. As long as it isnt fo' srs metal.

The guvnors not bad from what ive heard, nothing spectacular. Ive heard great things about the orginal guv. But really, rather than getting a lot of low-mid range pedals, you could buy some higher end stuff and be much happier.

Have a look around www.tonefactor.com, great site, owned by a great guy.

Look into the MI Audio Crunch box. Marshall sound in a box.

It wont sound too good with wah, muff has far too much mid scoop and a much too overbearing sound.

The trifecta is another muff clone with a few differences. Good quality pedal though.
Quote by beckyjc
Sure you can stack ODs to get the tones you like. As long as it isnt fo' srs metal.

The guvnors not bad from what ive heard, nothing spectacular. Ive heard great things about the orginal guv. But really, rather than getting a lot of low-mid range pedals, you could buy some higher end stuff and be much happier.

Have a look around www.tonefactor.com, great site, owned by a great guy.

Look into the MI Audio Crunch box. Marshall sound in a box.

It wont sound too good with wah, muff has far too much mid scoop and a much too overbearing sound.

The trifecta is another muff clone with a few differences. Good quality pedal though.

I never really play metal. The most I do is old school Hard Rock.

Yeah, I was talking about the original Guvnor. I found two on eBay going for 150 and one at GC for 100, not bad considering what else is in the same price range.

From what I was reading the Trifecta goes from a Tonebender to a Big Muff. Bender on the first settings of the selector switch (Supa and Jumbo) and Muff on the last. From the videos clips I heard it could get a good range of Fuzz tones. Do you think it would be different enough to compliment my Big Muff, or would it just cover a lot of the same tones. Because I really like the sounds of Tonebender clones, and the Trifecta seems to do that and then some.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 29, 2010,
For a smooth bluesy fuzz, the Analogman Sunface is what you want....

listen to the solo in this song for proof, go to the 3 minute mark.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqFkVNlWs8
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7dvGzRwE0

or Marc Fords Fuzz Machine....

a good distortion pedal is the Procol Rat.

for 4, the Digitech Bad Monkey. Its not a Cadillac but more like a Chevy, great for its money. The OD, isn't too much, but its good enough, and its a digitech product thats actually good. I use it to push my muff all the time.
Quote by aerosmith513
For a smooth bluesy fuzz, the Analogman Sunface is what you want....

listen to the solo in this song for proof, go to the 3 minute mark.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqFkVNlWs8
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7dvGzRwE0

or Marc Fords Fuzz Machine....

a good distortion pedal is the Procol Rat.

for 4, the Digitech Bad Monkey. Its not a Cadillac but more like a Chevy, great for its money. The OD, isn't too much, but its good enough, and its a digitech product thats actually good. I use it to push my muff all the time.

I was looking at the Sunface, it was pretty much top of my list of Fuzz Face pedals.

I've been leaning towards the Rat or an original Guv'nor. How well does the Rat clean up? Because I like the thick snarly distortion, but if you read above I've sorta changed my view from the OP. I'm looking for a lighter distortion that can get a gritty Blues-Rock to Classic Rock sound that I can boost with the OD to get more dirt. From what I've heard the Rat doesn't really fall into what I need unless it's more versatile than people are showing. I really like the sound, so I may get it anyway.

I think the Bad Monkey is great for the price, but it's not exactly what I want so Ill probably aim higher. There isn't really a set budget since this all me planing what I want. Of course I don't want to drop over $200 on every pedal either. It's more of a bang for your buck type thing.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 31, 2010,