Alright so im looking to get endorsed by Ibanez. It doesn't sound like such an easy feat to me, considering that Ibanez is pretty awesome when it comes to making gear, so I would imagine they dont just give out free passes. Get ready for my survey of question:

Is anyone here endorsed by Ibanez or any other company? If so, how easy was it to be endorsed, and how is it in general? Is an endorsement the same as a sponsorship? In order to be endorsed by ibanez, you must send an audio recording and or video to them, how ''good'' do I have to be? (example, how hard of a song would be impressive?). How long does it take for them to get back at me? (if they do in fact get back at me).

I'm not in it for the free shit that endorsements give (do they even send free crap?). Im in it just for the recognition of being endorsed, which in itself, is more valuable to me than any possible free goody they might have. So yeah. Shed some light? Im hoping to do it by next year since I really want to be prepared.

If you're wondering, im trying it on bass and I have a few good, possibly impressive songs that im able to play, just a few more refinements and I should be good to go. Thank you.
pinga
First off if you're not in a band with a decent following don't even think of trying. The point of endorsing is to get their name out, if you are just some guy who plays in a band no one has heard about, they don't care about you. To be honest it doesn't have much to do with skill, you could be a crappy bassist in a very popular band and get endorsed, or you could be an amazing bassist that just plays on youtube and not have a chance at getting endorsed.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
First off if you're not in a band with a decent following don't even think of trying. The point of endorsing is to get their name out, if you are just some guy who plays in a band no one has heard about, they don't care about you. To be honest it doesn't have much to do with skill, you could be a crappy bassist in a very popular band and get endorsed, or you could be an amazing bassist that just plays on youtube and not have a chance at getting endorsed.

This ^
Quote by TrabenBassist22

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. They're doing it for money and publicity, they're not going to make any money by sending a really technical bassist a free axe if nobody's going to see him play it; they've a lot more to gain by sending it to a well-exposed bassist even if he's a half-assed player.
Quote by TrabenBassist22

That's not necessarily true, there was a guitarist on youtube thats not in a band and he got endorsed by EMG.
Oh. Well then there goes my hope. Im in a band but we dont have any material yet and obviously we arent well known.
pinga
Quote by JWG2007
That's not necessarily true, there was a guitarist on youtube thats not in a band and he got endorsed by EMG.

I'm guessing he had a lot of views though and was well known in the Youtube community. What I meant by my comment was someone who just put their videos up and got like 50 views, not a Youtube "celebrity"

Edit: Well don't give up all hope, just keep at it with your band and maybe you will get popular and then you may get an endorsement. However with a company as large as Ibanez you will probably need to be in a touring band with a large following.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Aug 28, 2010,
you don't get free stuff from Endorsment, just discounts. you also cannot get an endorsment without a decent fan base. majority of the time you have to be playing about 250 gigs a year minamum before they would consider you. you also have to sell there product and what ever else the deal states for you to do.

endorsment isnt easy to get cause the company wants to make money off you. if they can't then there not going to endorce you. if you want endorcement your best bet is to get into a heavly touring band.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by Cb4rabid
So...I should forget it until im actually popular?

Sadly yes, I wanted to get endorsed by Traben (imagine that ) but my band was pretty much nothing so I've put that in the back of my mind.

Endorsements in the music industry seem to be based just as much on fame as on talent. Sometimes more so on fame than talent. What others have posted about endorsements is correct. I'll add this...

If you have to go seeking an endorsement, you don't deserve one. When you deserve one, they will come to you.
What do companies want? Money.

How do you, as an endorsing artist, help them make this? Well, you can promote their goods and that's about it really.

If you are not a "known" artist, not even famous but just known amongst musicians and fans of music, there's not a chance of being endorsed. Just saying.

An endorsement usually works by you inquiring or the company specifically asking, which probably won't happen but may. Endorsements may differ, if you're a really high profile artist who most people associate with Ibanez basses (like Gary Willis) you may get free stuff, but getting free stuff should not be the goal.

Generally, an endorsement entitles:
  • An artist discount on any of their guitars/basses, whichever one you play, sometimes a rather generous one
  • Not being able to play other gear (or live, at least, where people will see you most)
  • Maybe if you're REALLY POPULAR, getting a signature model
  • Maybe getting free stuff
  • Being a clinician for this company

I don't know anybody on UG who is an endorsing artist, you'll find most of those types over at Talkbass

Also, generally speaking if you're trying to talk to a bunch of companies just to land an endorsement deal, you're doing it wrong and that speaks poorly of you to other companies. You should play whatever gear you want, and then hope they take notice of you playing them (if you play your favorite instruments, that helps)
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 28, 2010,
Well all of you have helped a great deal. That chappers video really boggled my mind, because I didn't think of it that way, although with very little money, its a tad hard to do :/

Sighh, I wish music would be about talent as opposed to popularity but I guess money does make the world go round.
pinga
Well, Warwick wants a relatively widely available album and 50 gigs a year out of me before they'll endorse me, so take from that what you will.

^Music as art is about talent. Music as bsiness is about money and opportunity. If you look at both as separate from each other, you'll go alot further. This is about business- if companies were to give away instruments or give discounts to people who could sweep a Cmajadd9 arpeggio, that wouldn't be very good business sense.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Music as art is about talent. Music as bsiness is about money and opportunity. If you look at both as separate from each other, you'll go alot further. This is about business- if companies were to give away instruments or give discounts to people who could sweep a Cmajadd9 arpeggio, that wouldn't be very good business sense.

Agreed. Remember, you are looking for an endorsement for business purposes, too. The main thing you get out of an endorsement - unless you get a signature instrument - is free advertising in the trade magazines. Your band (or just you) splashed across a full-page four-color advertisement can be a hell of a boost for your publicity.

Once you get your band going and you get some music recorded, put together a very professional press kit and start sending it out to companies whose products you like. If they like what they see, then you may score an endorsement. There is no chance of a major manufacturer offering you any type of endorsement until you are established as a professional musician. From the manufacturers' perspectives, the whole point of an artist endorsement is to say to potential buyers "You see? The Pros play our gear!" This is true even though most manufacturers make the lion's share of their money from entry and mid-level instrument sales.

Don't give up on it, though. If you plan to make a career out of music, then seeking an endorsement deal is part of the gig. After all, it is a great way to get free advertising and the manufacturers employ very good photographers for their shots. They can make any band look larger than life.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
IHave27Frets is one of the guitarists for The Absence. He's almost never on the forums but he used to be an Ibanez endorsee (He switched over to some other company that I can't remember the name of now). Talk to him if you want realistic advice. Minichibi is also a BC Rich endorsee but I seriously doubt you're going to be able to pull off the approach she took so I wouldn't bother asking her about it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I'm trying to get Ashdown to endorse me at the moment and it's not going too badly. I'm getting bounced around a bit within the company but there was some positive comments.
Quote by Spaz91
I'm relying on this to get a Fender endorsement.

try squier they just hand out endorsements and they're new VMs are definitely worth having your name on
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.