As the title says, is their any easy way to figure out what tuning the guitar is in in a song? I'm horrible at learning songs by ear. But Disturbed has a new album coming out Tuesday and it was leaked. I heard their song "Warrior" and it's amazing, so I'm determined to try to learn it by ear. So, you guys have any tips for figuring out what tuning a song is in? Or you could check it out yourself and let me know what tuning you think it is. Either way works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkAyRZiyE0. Thanks
Last edited by Adisturbedone at Aug 28, 2010,
Sounds like dropped C.

How I came to that determination: Disturbed have always played in some variation of dropped D tuning (usually drop C#), and the song is in the key of C, so the lowest note I'm hearing is a C.

I could be wrong and they could be playing in any tuning and simply playing whatever C is in that tuning, but given their past material and the similarity between this song and just about every song they've ever released (lol every disturbed song sounds exactly the same) I'd put money on it being in Dropped C.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
No problem, but honestly, it wasn't that hard at all. It took literally none of my mental energy to figure it out. I just picked a note and determined that it centered around that note and voila, the most obvious solution was dropped C.

You probably could have figured this out yourself, honestly.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
What key the song is in can sometimes be a giveaway. Most drop-C songs are in the key of C. Obviously bear in mind that not all are though.