Page 1 of 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q

Does anyone here own a Kindle or knows people who use it?

My wife, who's a bookworm, is considering buying one. The extent of our knowledge about it is that you can read and download/buy ebooks using it. Their selections is just as wide as your selection for normal books, so that shouldn't be a problem. We're not sure what limitation is has for users outside of the USA, if there are such limitations.

It costs $189. Thoughts and comments on this gadget?
Normally I'd say it's a dumb idea, but in your case you should just get an iPad. It renders the Kindle obsolete. It looks better, is more versatile, and will be better integrated in the market.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i would find it useful but imo i would rather save 190 and have a hardcopy form instead of data that can easily be erased, corrupted, or lost.

also, i hate touchscreens of any kind.

@aboveposter, bad tool bad.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
i would find it useful but imo i would rather save 190 and have a hardcopy form instead of data that can easily be erased, corrupted, or lost.

also, i hate touchscreens of any kind.

@aboveposter, bad tool bad.

How? It's a much more pleasing reading experience than the 90's style Gameboy interface of a Kindle, and it can do much more.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
There's one reader which can read out loud and even increase how fast it reads it. Can't remember which one it was. Might be worth considering.

Read the negative reviews on amazon though to see the problems with them, and then see
One of my best friends has one of these and she absolutely LOVES it. She's also a complete bookworm, and what she loves about this is the ability to download books anywhere with 3G. Plus, I think there's free mobile wikipedia access... but I'm not positive on that. I'd say definitely go for it.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I read a ton of books, and I would never give up my physical books for a digital book locker. It's not the same at all.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Xiaoxi
Normally I'd say it's a dumb idea, but in your case you should just get an iPad. It renders the Kindle obsolete. It looks better, is more versatile, and will be better integrated in the market.

Except the iPad's the gayest piece of shit ever.
Quote by genghisgandhi
They know what they must do...

What's that, correcting you on your spelling error in your sig?
MATTERHORN
my mom has the 2 and it's pretty cool
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I got a Nook about a month ago, I didn't think I was going to like it that much but it is a huge convenience, especially since I'm in a dorm room that makes it tough to store physical copies. I'm not really a fan of the Kindle as much as other e-readers but I've heard the Nook is pretty useless outside of the USA so I'd look around and see if anyone you know has one she can try out. A lot of people I know love them, and a lot of people hate them, so it would be best to give it a test run if possible.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Except the iPad's the gayest piece of shit ever.
Compelling argument.

Nah, I agree with you. But the Kindle is gayer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My mom has one and she loves it. She loves having all the nooks she wants in one place, so yeah, I'd recommend getting it.

Genghisghandi, what the fuck is the point of your signature?
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Quote by Xiaoxi
Compelling argument.

On a serious note, I really don't have a strong argument against it other than "people look like morons using it out and about" and "are you really that much of an important person that you can't carry around a ~5lb laptop with you?"

I'm not aware of iPad's power and capabilities as a unit, but really... just use a laptop.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nah, I agree with you. But the Kindle is gayer.

And on this note, I also agree with you.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Doctor Matthews
but really... just use a laptop.

Pretty much.

I'm actually applying to work in Apple retail. If I get the job I really hope they won't put me in the iPad section. How I'd ever be able to convince people to buy it is beyond me.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by stratdud39
shit..i noticed it too..and..well I'm not even Jewish i just have jewish heritage.

Haha, he corrected it.
Quote by Xiaoxi
How I'd ever be able to convince people to buy it is beyond me.

Just say "Oh, iPad? I believe you're looking for the Macbook section, which is just over there."
MATTERHORN
Kindles are actually pretty cool. The reading experience isn't really any worse than a hard copy, and you can get it to define a word instantly (a big plus IMO). it's better than using a laptop or iPad because it doesn't use any battery life when idly displaying a page, so it has incredible battery life.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by stratdud39
How is the Kindle gay? I don't think it is capable of having a sexual orientation, is it?

He takes it from behind by the iPad.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by iantheman
Kindles are actually pretty cool. The reading experience isn't really any worse than a hard copy, and you can get it to define a word instantly (a big plus IMO). it's better than using a laptop or iPad because it doesn't use any battery life when idly displaying a page, so it has incredible battery life.

This. I believe the battery will last up to a month if you do nothing but reading. (Downloading books and stuff will cost lots more power of course) Also, the books wont be lost easily: The books you bought are also stored online at Amazon, so you can just download them again.
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
The kindle using e-ink so you can read it under the sun without having the words glare like crazy. The difference is great, trust me. Ipad is good but its a little too gimmicky if you're going to use it for reading.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I quite want one simply for the ease of having books in one place and being able to get a book after a 5 minute download. But I can't really jusitfy spending £100 on it when I'm going to have access to a great university library in a few weeks. Still want 1 though.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Except the iPad costs £300 more, has a shitty battery life in comparison and is backlit so will glare like a motherfucker in the sun. Also not sure how well it handles e-books. Kindle with calibre for file conversions seems to be great. Although PDF's are meant to be a weak point.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Hmm I'm considering getting one of these too. My room at home and my room in Norwich don't have shelves and I find my books just pile up. Over the past year I've bought 15 books and I've pretty much run out of space for any new books.

You can download books pretty much everywhere you go thanks to the wifi and free 3G.

They are also a lot smaller and more portable (at least the 6" one is) than the iPad.

Infact, if it is possible to get textbooks on the Kindle then I'm definitely buying it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 29, 2010,
I prefer paperbacks but it might save me some money on that. Would really save me space on trainrides and such.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by OddOneOut

Infact, if it is possible to get textbooks on the Kindle then I'm definitely buying it.

If you can't get them from the kindle shop chances are they're somewhere on the internet. Just transfer from computer to kindle.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Quote by leeb rocks
If you can't get them from the kindle shop chances are they're somewhere on the internet. Just transfer from computer to kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D362729031&field-keywords=fluid&x=0&y=0
:') The prices are blinding, but I'd rather have it on kindle than carrying around one of those huuuuuge textbooks. Admittedly there is that thing called a library, but it's worth knowing that I can have them as ebooks instead.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Xiaoxi

The iPad is not a good substitute for a Kindle. The iPad doesn't have nearly the battery life of a Kindle, and, most importantly, doesn't have the e-ink screen. Have you actually seen the screen on a kindle? It's like reading an actual book, no eye strain whatsoever and no glare in the sunlight. Reading an entire book on an iPad is going to give you eye strain, it's fine for reading newspaper articles or webpages, but like reading from your laptop screen you will eventually strain your eyes because of the backlight if you were to try reading a book or something.
Anyone who thinks that the iPad replaces the kindle vastly underestimates the value of the e-ink screen.

TS, I'd probably get one, if I had the cash to spare at least. The discounts on e-books will save you money anyway and the new kindle is a real space saver, first e-book reader I've actually considered purchasing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by OddOneOut
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D362729031&field-keywords=fluid&x=0&y=0
:') The prices are blinding, but I'd rather have it on kindle than carrying around one of those huuuuuge textbooks. Admittedly there is that thing called a library, but it's worth knowing that I can have them as ebooks instead.

There's always cheaper alternatives with the internet...

Seems to be half the attraction to a lot of people.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Quote by Xiaoxi

It is also horrendously expensive and has a reflective screen.

I'm not convinced it will integrate better, either.

EDIT: Not to mention the moral objections to buying an iPad: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1991620,00.html

And, if you're in the USA:
http://xkcd.com/548/
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Aug 29, 2010,
I don't have an iPad or a Kindle but I've used both to read books before. I can tell you, even though the Kindle has less features it's way easier to read on it than the iPad.

I still prefer books though. I like the smell of books and turning the pages and stuff.
cat
My Mom wants me to get one for school. I went to best buy to look at them and thought there just big 1999 Palms. Wasn't even in color. If you really wanna read books on a computer get a lap top or a IPad. Hell get even a Droid X and find some book reader app.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This Kindle thingy is honestly one of the most pointless inventions ever.

But, that's just me.

Yeah, I agree.

Who on Earth would want to carry all their books around in a 6" gizmo?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I didn't even know what a Kindle was until I read this thread. I'm a bit interested as I'd like to read more, but there's no way on Earth I could justify spending £150 on it.
Page 1 of 2