I just wrote this solo for a currently untitled speed/thrash metal song I am writing.

I tried my best to make it memorable, while remaining technical.

To be honest, I can't play the fast alternate picking parts at full speed yet. I'm practicing to get it to the correct speed.
Attachments:
solo.gp5
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 28, 2010,
This is an amazing solo, you got talent man
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Sounds really good, the first couple bars are sound amazing.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
the first 3 bars are pretty good, the rest is a bit....

well I don't know, your phrasing is a bit strange. basically, everythign after the first 4 bars sounds like an enumeration of licks and that is an isntant boner killer. Sure, it doesn't really matter what you wanking on stage, but if you record this you have all the time you need to get a good solo that doesn't even need to be that fast.

Basically, all your licks start on beat one. it's boring. just that. You always end a phrase on either a quarter note or an 8th note. you don't use dotted notes or ghost notes to create a better flow.

I'd take a lot of time to write down how each part relates to another and how I feel them so I concentrate on the kind of climax this solo has and that's the alternate picking part.

If you listen to the solo, bar 9 seems to be the climax and the lick you have chosen there is perfectly suited for that, but the problem is that bars 7 & 8 are basically the same as 9 & 10.

That totally eliminates the climax thing since it doesn't really have "release" if you know what I mean. It starts out good, the listener gets exited and expects somethign epic but you just present them the same thing you did just before in bar 8.

Same goes for bar 14. Bar 13 is a good build up and you even deliver the high bend in bar 14, but then fail again by using the same sort of lick of bar 13 just a second later.

Now this may have sounded harsh, but I'm looking at it from a songwriter's perspective that only wrote instrumentals the part year

As I said, your solo will work perfectly on stage and it will also sound good on a record, but it isn't any better than that.

I know it's a different solo style, but you may want to look at this song's solos just for reference
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353962
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by thorbor at Sep 1, 2010,
From the perspective of someone who's a bit less snobbish in the songwriting department (:P) I gave this a few listens. I like the whole rocky style bits you've got in there. I dont get what thorbors saying about the repeated bars. The only similarity is that they both use 16th triplets.
Also, you ended it pretty well. I love those licks.

C4C? it's in my sig. Definately NOT metal, but oh well.
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
It's very fun to listen to, and I assume to play as well. I mostly agree with Thorbor, especially on the licks all starting on beat one thing. If you slowed this down, it wouldn't sound continuous or very melodic. But as a thrash solo, one at 150 BPM to boot, it works. As it stands, it sounds nice, but in a non-thrash setting, it really wouldn't work. Then again, it's a thrash solo, so this is all pretty moot, lol.
All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
Quote by thorbor
the first 3 bars are pretty good, the rest is a bit....

well I don't know, your phrasing is a bit strange. basically, everythign after the first 4 bars sounds like an enumeration of licks and that is an isntant boner killer. Sure, it doesn't really matter what you wanking on stage, but if you record this you have all the time you need to get a good solo that doesn't even need to be that fast.

Basically, all your licks start on beat one. it's boring. just that. You always end a phrase on either a quarter note or an 8th note. you don't use dotted notes or ghost notes to create a better flow.

I'd take a lot of time to write down how each part relates to another and how I feel them so I concentrate on the kind of climax this solo has and that's the alternate picking part.

If you listen to the solo, bar 9 seems to be the climax and the lick you have chosen there is perfectly suited for that, but the problem is that bars 7 & 8 are basically the same as 9 & 10.

That totally eliminates the climax thing since it doesn't really have "release" if you know what I mean. It starts out good, the listener gets exited and expects somethign epic but you just present them the same thing you did just before in bar 8.

Same goes for bar 14. Bar 13 is a good build up and you even deliver the high bend in bar 14, but then fail again by using the same sort of lick of bar 13 just a second later.

Now this may have sounded harsh, but I'm looking at it from a songwriter's perspective that only wrote instrumentals the part year

As I said, your solo will work perfectly on stage and it will also sound good on a record, but it isn't any better than that.

I know it's a different solo style, but you may want to look at this song's solos just for reference
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353962

Wow, that is quite a response.

The criticism you gave definitely makes sense and is true, I appreciate your help.

Thanks again for the tips, I'll try to make improvements where I can.

For now, I "cleaned" the measures that were quite poor, I'll fill them in eventually with the idea of the climax in mind.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 14, 2010,