I've been wondering what people would consider legitimate "World's fastest playing." I was wondering how many people would consider straight shredding to be the fastest. Or would just sweeping constantly be better? Or would it have to be a combination of a bunch of techniques?
I understanding that shredding could involve sweeping but I'm talking about only using alternate/hybrid picking, etc.
Thoughts?

EDIT: Please remember I'm not asking who you think is the fastest. Im asking about technique. Not whose technique, just technique period.
Last edited by Squigman at Aug 29, 2010,
i think people should stop obbsesing over who can play the fastest and just start making better music....
Quote by slingshotjr
i think people should stop obbsesing over who can play the fastest and just start making better music....

this

*cough* michael angelo batio fastest and best guitarist*cough*
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
I'm not asking who you think is better or what someone's opinion is of the genre. Im asking what people would consider to be more "legitimate" speed playing.
Della Vega, seriously, he can play the Flight of the bumblebee at 370bpm!!!! search on youtube....

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Squigman
I'm not asking who you think is better or what someone's opinion is of the genre. Im asking what people would consider to be more "legitimate" speed playing.

a combination of techniques imo
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Solarstar101
this

*cough* michael angelo batio fastest and best guitarist*cough*

i agree with your strange coughing sentences...
Quote by Solarstar101
a combination of techniques imo

Thanks for being the only one to answer the question.
Quote by Squigman
I've been wondering what people would consider legitimate "World's fastest playing." I was wondering how many people would consider straight shredding to be the fastest. Or would just sweeping constantly be better? Or would it have to be a combination of a bunch of techniques?
I understanding that shredding could involve sweeping but I'm talking about only using alternate/hybrid picking, etc.
Thoughts?

The shred forum has a thread on this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366820

The fastest guy on the list is all sweeping, Francesco Fareri for a stupidly fast 33 notes per second or 16ths at 495bpm to give you some frame of reference, 16th triplets at 330bpm.

Della Vega's "world record" is firstly not actually anything to do with the Guinness Book of Records, the current official record holder is a chilean man who played dueling banjos.

Secondly... it's not very clean or tight, once he gets up to the higher tempos he loses some note clarity and his rhythm falls apart.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 28, 2010,
um yea that dude della vega who plays flight of the bumble holds the legitimate world record so im gonna go with him. Also MAB is balls compared to shawn lane or even rusty cooley.
Quote by Damaged Roses
Della Vega, seriously, he can play the Flight of the bumblebee at 370bpm!!!! search on youtube....

yes, but he is able to play that fast because he lacks good tone. He picks REALLY lightly so he can play that fast, so when you listen to any of his music it just doesnt sound very good. I will give him the title though, because when you put it to a metronome he does in fact play the fastest...

Rusty Cooley FTW.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by rockgodman
um yea that dude della vega who plays flight of the bumble holds the legitimate world record so im gonna go with him.

On the other hand: http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Fastest-guitar-player/video/93243/7691.html

Edit: it's probably worth noting that Guiness doesn't have an actual record on their website outside of the community pages though, I did hear a while ago that guinness themselves no longer actually maintain such a record and I have heard from several sources that Della Vega's record claim has been rejected.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 28, 2010,
Everyone knows that Skwisgaar Skwigelf is the fastest guitar player in the world.

Duh.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
leik Kirk Hammett \M/

jokes. anyone who pretty muhc plays neo classical i guess, but there are loads of video's on youtube claiming they are the fastest.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by Squigman
Thoughts?

I would be inclined to have two separate categories, one for the fastest alternate picker and one for the fastest sweeper. However, if you're going for simply "Worlds Fastest Playing", regardless of technique, the title would easily go to a sweep picker.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I saw Michael Angelo Batio at a guitar seminar last summer I think. Hearing him in person is totally different than watching a youtube video. I think he really his the man when it comes to speed, it's just so clean. Watching him do sweeps with his hand overtop of the neck was crazy. That flailing arm thing he does still doesn't look real in person. He even played a beautiful chord melody of a jazz standard I don't remember what it was though.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

The fastest guy on the list is all sweeping, Francesco Fareri for a stupidly fast 33 notes per second or 16ths at 495bpm to give you some frame of reference, 16th triplets at 330bpm.

This.
I think that's pick tapping, but it's still ridiculously fast.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
This.
I think that's pick tapping, but it's still ridiculously fast.

Nope, pick-tapping isn't allowed on the list because it's so easy to get stupid speeds. It's a sweeping lick; Am arpeggio, 12 notes to the beat at 165bpm, a few beat worth of it in every chorus of his song "Suspension".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nope, pick-tapping isn't allowed on the list because it's so easy to get stupid speeds. It's a sweeping lick; Am arpeggio, 12 notes to the beat at 165bpm, a few beat worth of it in every chorus of his song "Suspension".

Oh ok. I hadn't heard suspension before so I wasn't sure.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.