ok so I wrote a chord progression that goes like this: F#maj, C#maj, D#min, then Bmin. It would seem to me that this is in the key of F# major. However in an F# major scale, B is the fourth note, which means in the key of F# major, B is a major chord... Right? So maybe im not in F# major.. and not that it really matters at all because everything sounds fine but im just curious if anyone knows!

---So I did some more research and it's calles a modal mixture or a borrowed chord? just to clarify though, it is a borrowed IV chord from the key of F# minor? and is there a specific way to notate it?----
Last edited by Stairwy.2.Hvn. at Aug 28, 2010,
You seem to be on the right track. The Bmin would be a borrowed chord from the parallel F# minor.

I'm not completely up to scatch with my notation, but I assume that the key signature would be F#maj, and with the B minor chord you'd notate the 3rd as flat?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Bm is the iv chord of F#maj. It's not uncommon to borrow the minor iv chord from the parallel minor to strengthen the resolution back to F#.
its just called a non-diatonic chord. when a chord fits in a key, its diatonic, when it doesnt, its non-diatonic. if it works, it works, if you were thinking of making melodies over it but you wanna make sure ur doing it right, well i could only help you if that Bmin had some more notes (7, 9, 11, 13, etc.), as a simple triad, it fits into any minor mode (except locrian), im not an expert on this but i guess you could pick which ever one you like the sound of. and you can just play in F#major all the way through, I'm sure about that.

if you're just doing the chord progression, as a rhythm guitarist or whatever harmonic instrument you may play, don't worry about it, if ur doing lead, it might just get a little complex.
its in F#maj, just make sure to hit the D natural over the Bminor chord and you'll be fine
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
its in F#maj, just make sure to hit the D natural over the Bminor chord and you'll be fine

Close, it's adding an accidental D note to the F#major scale. It's a good point, and would emphasise the chord. On that topic, you'd want to avoid the D# over that chord because it would clash.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud