I've been playing for close to seven years now and I have no real concept on music theory. I've been in my high school band for about 6 years and now that type of music theory but I can't really apply it to guitar in any way, at least not any way I can see.

So would now be a good time to learn some theory? I can improv somewhat acceptably but I'm assuming that learning music theory would open up many doorways?

EDIT: I should say now that I can do most techniques just fine. Sweeping, alternate picking, legato, all forms of harmonics, etc. I don't know how much of technique goes into theory but regardless I know how to do things, just not the theory behind it all.
Last edited by Squigman at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Squigman
learning music theory would open up many doorways

yes, it will
Well thank you. Where should I start? "first time music theory" posts?
if you'd be motivated and interested in learning it you should, but if you really don't want to you won't likely stick with it for long. If you're happy with your ability to write and improvise now then I don't see why you would take the time to learn.
Quote by kraftmacaroni
if you'd be motivated and interested in learning it you should, but if you really don't want to you won't likely stick with it for long. If you're happy with your ability to write and improvise now then I don't see why you would take the time to learn.

Good point. I started learning about a year or so back but I couldnt keep with it. Is there any books or videos that would help? I need consistency pretty much everyday to get anything at all.
If you can "improv somewhat acceptably", would it be safe to assume that you have some knowledge of scales and keys? If not, theory will definately help in that area.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud