Looking for an all tube amp. I play mostly rock/metal/blues but I play a lot of cleans so I need nice cleans too. I'd like enough gain on tap for teh br00tz and a lot of bass response, I love me some chugging.

A clean with a gain control would be nice, so I could get that dirty clean like Hendrix uses without diming the amp.

2/3 channel preferable w/ a master volume.

My budget is 1000 - 2000 $

Thanks!

EDIT: That's 1-2k Australian dollars.

Also, if it's an American amp, will it work over here? Will I need any extra requirements?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Aug 29, 2010,
i waited a little to see if anyone else would say it but you are asking for the greatest amp ever created. good cleans/blues/rock/metal/brootz is not acheivable unless you are looking at modelers.
Guitars
Amps
Im just gonna throw this out here... My DSL Has good cleans, a nice blues sound, nails the rock sound, and even gets into metal territory. With a boost the brootz is possible. But not the greatest brootz.. but then again.. I dont like the brootz so ive never taken the time to find the sound.

JCM2000 would be just fine for ya
You could try getting a used Splawn Quick Rod shipped to Aussie. Not sure how the VAT taxes apply.

Edit: yeah, probably not the greatest value. What is available used TS?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by Matt15f
i waited a little to see if anyone else would say it but you are asking for the greatest amp ever created. good cleans/blues/rock/metal/brootz is not acheivable unless you are looking at modelers.

Road King, Diezels, Soldanos, 5153, etc. prove you wrong. And Blues tone means practically nothing as the tones vary from Robert Johnson wailing on a Gibson acoustic to Warren Haynes and his SLO100.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You could try getting a used Splawn Quick Rod shipped to Aussie. Not sure how the VAT taxes apply.

Terribly... 20% of price if it converts above AUD$1000.
To TS you'll have troubles finding an amp that can do all that, but since marshall are relatively cheap over here you could find a JVM for that price. Used you can find some mesa rectifiers for that price aswell but they can't do the mid gain tones that well. Best bet is just to go used and wait it out, you might find a nice ENGL for example
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

2010 mesa dual rectifier. the cleans are way better than old rectos. perfectly fits your description
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
So, on the recomended list so far is:

A JVM2000
A Splawn
An Engl
Or a recto...

:| i'm not sure haha, could you guys give me some advice on an amp that has good cleans/brootz then? I can always just boost the clean into OD with a pedal.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
So, on the recomended list so far is:

A JVM2000
A Splawn
An Engl
Or a recto...

:| i'm not sure haha, could you guys give me some advice on an amp that has good cleans/brootz then? I can always just boost the clean into OD with a pedal.

Randall RM100 Head - $1190, w/ Egnater Plexi and Clean Recto modules. eBay link.
Line 6 Vetta II Combo - Currently going for $1500. eBay link.
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Terribly... 20% of price if it converts above AUD$1000.

where did you pull that figure from? import duty is closer to 5%, but if you can prove to customs that the item is 'made in america' and not available readily in oz, you dont pay any import duty at all, thats the free trade agreement for ya.

but still, a splawn is still a fair way out of TS's budget.

maybe take a look at some egnater's. tourmaster or renegade perhaps?
Quote by rgoring
where did you pull that figure from? import duty is closer to 5%, but if you can prove to customs that the item is 'made in america' and not available readily in oz, you dont pay any import duty at all, thats the free trade agreement for ya.

Import duty is 5% correct. However that is not the only tax you would pay. When you declare the customs value (what ever the amount is over $1000) you pay the import duty (5%). On top of that you have to pay the international transport and insurance or postage, which for an amp would probably be around $100-200. That whole amount is the Value of Taxable Import (VoTI). You now have to pay the Goods and Services Tax on the VoTI amount which is currently sitting at 10%.

5% of value of Item
Postage and Handling
10% of Value of the Item + Postage and Handling
???????
Does not equal 5%

I was wrong it was not 20% but it works out to be more
Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Such a shame Australia doesn't have a Craiglist, .

Also, I wont be able to try Splawns or Diesels in Australia, as they're not sold over here.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
^well we kinda do... but no one uses it
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
Import duty is 5% correct. However that is not the only tax you would pay. When you declare the customs value (what ever the amount is over $1000) you pay the import duty (5%). On top of that you have to pay the international transport and insurance or postage, which for an amp would probably be around $100-200. That whole amount is the Value of Taxable Import (VoTI). You now have to pay the Goods and Services Tax on the VoTI amount which is currently sitting at 10%.

5% of value of Item
Postage and Handling
10% of Value of the Item + Postage and Handling
???????
Does not equal 5%

I was wrong it was not 20% but it works out to be more
Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

fair explaination.
o.0 how do you buy local/interstate Guitarkid?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B

Also, I wont be able to try Splawns or Diesels in Australia, as they're not sold over here.

www.gumtree.com.au

nowhere near as good, tho.
Quote by N_J_B_B

We have a craigslist, but there's not a lot of stuff on it, you're better off with Gumtree or eBay as stated above.
Splawns can be imported more closely from CustomAudioBoutique in New Zealand, or it seems like you can contact Splawn and buy from them if there isn't a dealer in your country.
bmusic in SA is an authorised Diezel dealer if you've got an extra 6 grand lying around.
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
We have a craigslist, but there's not a lot of stuff on it, you're better off with Gumtree or eBay as stated above.
Splawns can be imported more closely from CustomAudioBoutique in New Zealand.
bmusic in SA is an authorised Diezel dealer if you've got an extra 6 grand lying around.

Yeah, I'll just pull it out of my back pocket. :P

Man, I'm feeling crappy about this, looks like i'll stick with my shitty AVT100x for a while longer. :\ Unless I pay 4k+ it looks like i'll never get what I want.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Yeah, I'll just pull it out of my back pocket. :P

Man, I'm feeling crappy about this, looks like i'll stick with my shitty AVT100x for a while longer. :\ Unless I pay 4k+ it looks like i'll never get what I want.

That Randall head I posted plus a nice 212 would come in under your budget and if you don't like the modules it comes with you can look for people to trade with or buy other ones. Not to mention the Vetta will do everything you want.
EDIT: Found it, aren't line 6 supposed to be bad amps?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Aug 29, 2010,
I recently got an ENGL Screamer, and without being an expert on tone, I'd say that with the Z-5 footswitch, I can achieve all the sounds you listed quite easily. Don't know how much it will cost you in Australia, a wild guess would be right below 2000$.
Quote by EmilGD
I recently got an ENGL Screamer, and without being an expert on tone, I'd say that with the Z-5 footswitch, I can achieve all the sounds you listed quite easily. Don't know how much it will cost you in Australia, a wild guess would be right below 2000$.

Hi thanks for that suggestion! That is right in my range! What is a Z-5 footswitch though?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
One of the footswitches you can use with the amp. It's not a necessity and you can of course achieve the sounds without it (don't know why I mentioned it in the first place really). It allows you to swap between the channels of the amp with your foot while playing, really practical but a tad expensive.
Quote by consecutive e
Splawns can be imported more closely from CustomAudioBoutique in New Zealand, or it seems like you can contact Splawn and buy from them if there isn't a dealer in your country.

its not that its a bad website, its just that shit is so expensive that few people actually have good gear.

Example: I'm the the only other person i know that owns valve amps, and they're not even that good
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Oh ok, thank you. I'm liking the Fireball, sounds nice! But only ship from overseas! Riskyyy...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Oh ok, thank you. I'm liking the Fireball, sounds nice! But only ship from overseas! Riskyyy...

Dude there's a Fireball on ebay right now for 1800 with free shipping. You'll need a cab though.
EDIT: No free shipping on the ENGL, it was a different amp I was looking at, so you'll have to add shipping for it.
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 29, 2010,