Dumb question I know, but its been a few years since I last got a guitar online and I'm planning on listing one of mine on eBay so I'm a bit curious.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
isnt it like shipping anything else
put it in a box with good protection
if it has a case that would be best
A LOT of bubble wrap. Go to your local U-Haul, or something like that and they have what you need.
Quote by supersac
isnt it like shipping anything else
put it in a box with good protection
if it has a case that would be best

No ****ing kidding. I don't have a case for it and was wondering if putting it in a regular box with some packaging would be enough to keep it safe or if I needed to do anything else with it, but I appreciate the remark

^Interesting, I wouldn't have considered going to a U Haul. I'll have to check that out a bit more
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
No ****ing kidding. I don't have a case for it and was wondering if putting it in a regular box with some packaging would be enough to keep it safe or if I needed to do anything else with it, but I appreciate the remark

^Interesting, I wouldn't have considered going to a U Haul. I'll have to check that out a bit more

Find a box that will fit it, cut some foam chunks and stick it around the guitar to stop it from shifting around in the box. Put bubble wrap underneath and over top the guitar.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
When I ordered a guitar online it came wrapped in bubble wrap inside a soft case in a cardboard box, and it was in pretty good shape so I'm going off that.
I just go to the local music store and they will give me an original packing box for free. Might not be the same brand as I'm shipping but as long as the it's long enough to fit the guitar I'm shipping it will work.

Typically, this will be a semi-triangular or trapezoid shaped box with styrofoam blocks for the neck that goes into a heavy outer carton. Pack the guitar in the inner box heavily with bubble wrap and put lots of peanuts or wadded up Wal-Mart bags into the outer carton to keep the inner box centered and stable.

I've had no problems with this method.

Fed-Ex is as cheap as anyone and my experience is that they are more careful with the merchandise than UPS or the postal service.

-Dawg
^that.

Every guitar I've ever bought online has come shipped like that, and nothing was ever remotely wrong with any of them.

At least 85% of guitars ship without HSC. It's not at all like you need one to ship.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the first thing is to see if you can get one of those triangle/trapezoid boxes from a guitar store. then you put the guitar in that with some padding (packing peanuts, styrofoam, bubble wrap, etc). then you put that box into another rectangular box that is a little bit larger, and use a bit more packing material. wadded up news paper actually works well between the two boxes. or some bubble wrap.

the double box method is what i have typically seen done on ebay, or at least by people who know what they are doing. yes, it is a bit more expensive, but it gets the guitar there safely. and that is what is important.
One word: FEDEX.

As far as vintage Dean guitars are concerned, UPS is notorious for damaging them. On the Dean Guitars vintage forum there's countless guitars that UPS has split the headstocks on, broke a wing off, or arrived with a severely damaged box...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
One word: FEDEX.

As far as vintage Dean guitars are concerned, UPS is notorious for damaging them. On the Dean Guitars vintage forum there's countless guitars that UPS has split the headstocks on, broke a wing off, or arrived with a severely damaged box...

This is true. UPS brutalizes everything they ship. Everything is subject to a 6ft drop *shudders*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I double box. If it's a bolt on neck I remove the neck and wrap both the body and neck in bubble wrap, tape them together, and then wrap them. After that it's bubble wrap, foam or sponges on the corners for a pointy guitar, and packing peanuts, and a box. Then More peanuts and another box. Over tape it while you're at it.
The single most important things here is foam blocks. If can't shift around in the box there is very little chance of damage unless you really want to abuse it.
Well, I would pack it inside a very sturdy box and put a lot of those little styrofoam chips to cushion it as the guitar makes its way through our winderful postal system.

ron666