Hello everyone. I've been playing for 11 years. I practice at least six hours a day. I know the minor, minor harmonic, diminished, gypsy, diadorian, and other scales. I'm pretty good at slightly complicated sweeps, tapping, modes, harmonics, tremelo bar, and a few other techniques.

I'm just looking for other scales, tremelo bar tricks, tips on two hand tap arpeggios, classical chords, and any other techniques out there.

If anyone has anything to offer, your input will be greatly appreciated.
try learning economy picking if you haven't already, improved my speed and precision.
String skipping!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
how about
theory?
improv?
creating music?

technique is great, but creating music you enjoy is better

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
That's all great but can you USE what you know so far? I mean that in the nicest possible way; can you honestly say you can use all that stuff well, cleanly and in a good musical way against an actual musical backing?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes, I can use these techniques. I've been writing music for about five years, and my music has progress significantly since I stopped taking lessons and teaching myself. I've written a lot of music and I try to use a different combination of different theories and techniques in everything I do.

I can do improv. It's not like I say I know this with slight knowledge. I work on my music everyday and I just try to make it better.

I love how on forums almost anything you say no matter the website people try to come down on people.

I'm just looking for other things to try, I want to expand my horizons as much as I possibly can and who else to ask but the fellow guitar community.
Last edited by elfulanozutano at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by elfulanozutano
I love how on forums almost anything you say no matter the website people try to come down on people.

I wasn't trying to "come down" on you, it was an honest question; a whole lot of the traffic that comes through here is full of idiots and newbs who have no idea what they're doing.

That being said I will say this: new scales and techniques won't change your sound, if you're looking to change your sound then you need to look to things other than the actual notes you choose; you need to change the way you use the notes you already have. If you can take a set of notes you think you've exhausted and use those differently you'll know you've made a change.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What the hell are "classical chords"?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
What the hell are "classical chords"?

this.

learn extended music theory, like dominant7sus4add9 chords and stuff like that (theres probably a more correct way of saying that, w/e), and generally more advanced chord construction.

learn to hybrid pick: imo this is an invaluable technique, and means you can go form fingerpicking to tremoloing instantaneously, as well as doing massive string skips.

Study musicians. find a guitarist you like, and learn thier style until you can copy it to a reasonable degree, and then, adapt it to your own style; this is how you can tell where guitarists get thier inspiration and influences.

AND!....ATONAL TAPPING. always good.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
meh, i suppose, but i like to note all the extensions out; i had to do it as part of chord theory, and it stuck :P meh.

yeah, do some recording so we can get a better idea of what you need to work on
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by slayerfrk

i would like to see a video of ur playing also TS.

This. Post a vid of your playing TS so we know exactly where you are and what you can do. Then we have a better idea of what to recommend for you.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm assuming TS means me. I can do a video when I get a camera, I'm not exactly the technological type of person so forgive me if I'm not on par.

Banjocal: I've studied musicians throughout the years. I use to try to emulate a combination of musicians now i just try to blend everything to my own taste. What are some song examples of hybrid picking to learn? I use a lot of counter point.

I want to learn some cool tremelo bar tricks. I've played on a Les Paul for 5 years and I just got an Ibanez JS1000 in March and I'm getting decent with it like hitting multiple harmonics while using the bar.
everything already mentioned+ learn tom morello style kill switch riffs, experiment with different effects, pick tapping, messing with the tunning peg, play with an E-bow, play with a slide, experiment with rhythm, play with amp feedback, etc
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
As far as Floyd Rose tricks go, the harmonics and dives/pulls are pretty standard. You can make notes flutter with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNIE8Qy8Sg&feature=related
Just isten to guys like Satch, Vai, Laiho and various other shred guys who use floating trems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tH26RTAs3Q&feature=related
Good video with Satch showing some things with it
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I hit a natural harmonic on the 12th fret A string, I dive with the tremlo bar and use my lower palm on my tremelo hand to hit the pinch harmonic above the bridge pickup as I'm pulling back up. I've listen to alot of Vai and I'm working on For the Love God and I learned I'm your secrets.

My two favorite guitarists right now are Vai and Andy LaRocque.

Would you say a floating trem is better than a floyd?
Last edited by elfulanozutano at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by elfulanozutano
I hit a natural harmonic on the 12th fret A string, I dive with the tremlo bar and use my lower palm on my tremelo hand to hit the pinch harmonic above the bridge pickup as I'm pulling back up. I've listen to alot of Vai and I'm working on For the Love God and I learned I'm your secrets.

My two favorite guitarists right now are Vai and Andy LaRocque.

Would you say a floating trem is better than a floyd?

A Floyd Rose is a floating trem, floating just means it doesnt rest on the body. Floyd Rose trems are double locking though, like the one on your JS1000. They are the most stable since the string is locked at the nut and bridge and they are recessed into the body which is why they can be pulled up. So in essence they are better than a regular floating trem like the Fender 2-post.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
So you need other techniques?
Finger picking
Chicken pickin
Slide
Fan stroke
Waterfall harmonics
Slap/pop

After you learn and get bored of these, try playing playing chords with only one hand.
If you master that, you will probably run out of new techniques to learn so the only other thing I can think of at the moment is learning all of it left handed.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by elfulanozutano
Hello everyone. I've been playing for 11 years. I practice at least six hours a day. I know the minor, minor harmonic, diminished, gypsy, diadorian, and other scales. I'm pretty good at slightly complicated sweeps, tapping, modes, harmonics, tremelo bar, and a few other techniques.

I'm just looking for other scales, tremelo bar tricks, tips on two hand tap arpeggios, classical chords, and any other techniques out there.

How about some advanced harmonics stuff? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obh1x2z6cOI

Willem
Quote by elfulanozutano

If you really play for 11 years and practice for 6 hours a day, you shouldn't be asking this question. You should be out there playing with other people.
I recently moved to a different state and I've been practicing by myself for the past 4 months. I just met a drummer I'm starting to jam with. I asked for new techniques because I want to learn more. You can't stop learning an instrument, you never stop learning an instrument. If you stop learning more about an instrument than what is the point of playing?

I need to correct myself as I have now been made aware of an error in my OP. I've been playing for 9 years, since I was 11 years old.
Start playing prog. It provides a new kind of challenge. Try improvising a solo in 7/8.
Quote by elfulanozutano

Yes, it's because they are incapable of giving you any real advice.

Anyways, you're far beyond my sphere, but if you're looking for a serious challenge you should try hybrid picking, if you can't already.

Quote by mdeeRocks
If you really play for 11 years and practice for 6 hours a day, you shouldn't be asking this question. You should be out there playing with other people.

Why are you such a dick? He asked a perfectly reasonable question.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 31, 2010,
Playing in open tunings?
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by Vornik
Yes, it's because they are incapable of giving you any real advice.

Anyways, you're far beyond my sphere, but if you're looking for a serious challenge you should try hybrid picking, if you can't already.

Why are you such a dick? He asked a perfectly reasonable question.

9 years of playing and asking for new guitar techniques? Yeah, I might come as a dick, fair enough, but if you play for 9 years/6 hours a day it's very unlikely that you would ask a such question, except if you live in a box (literally)

Try slapping. When I met one of bass players I used to play with, he picked up my guitar and started playing it slap bass style, perfectly (20 years ago))
Or, play left handed .
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Sep 1, 2010,
Some advanced string skipping maybe? Come up with arpeggios between the low E and the G/B strings, play them fast.
I would say expand from your usual genres as much as possible. You could try transposing some sax lines to guitar, for example. You will definitely learn some little tricks for your hands, same as the neoclassical stuff did I see in your profile. It would be a challenge both mentally and physically.

That isn't really a technique though...

I am assuming the tapping is used usually as more of a quick passage in some shred or something? Try writing in complete touchstyle, it will open up tons of chords I'm sure (not that I am touchstyle master, or sax master. I am sure you are much better then me. I have 5 years of 1-2 hour practice. We both rock out though )

You could take a slide on a relativaly high action guitar, and do these crazy runs with your fret hand, legato. Use the slide, with pick hand, as a variable pedal note. That would be bucking wheat.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Proably not what you want to hear, but at this level the most important thing for you is to start playing with other people ALOT. Im talking about blues jamms, jazz bands or any bands you can get in which concist of musicans on your level. Learn techniques suited for the music you like and the music you play with these bands, and get inspired by your fellow musicans to try out new stuff or engage your guitar playing in a different way.

Tbh, from what I read at first I thought you were quite a douche. And the way you talk about semi-usefull scales and sweeps makes me think you are prob a shredder who above anything else considers guitar playing to be quiet a sport. I hope I'm wrong, but I would just like to advice you to start playing with other people a damn lot more then practicing. You are now (prob.) at a level where it will be WAY more usefull to play with other people 6 hours a day then to actually practice a zillion scales or sweeps. If you have 6 hours a day, spend it playing with other people, and only when there really is not any other band practice for that day.
Quote by elfulanozutano
What is waterfall harmonics?

I seem to have lost the good video for it.

Okay, uh:
You arpeggiate a chord (or don't and just use them willy nilly) and after each note you hit a tapped harmonic on the note before it.

+ is for a tapped harmonic (usually at 12 frets above last fretted note)

let ring
e-----------------3--+--------------------
B-------------3---+--------------------
G----------4---+-----------------------
D-------5---+-------------------------
A-----5---+-----------------------------
E--3---+-------------------------------

That's how I do them anyway. If you can get fast they sound really nice.
I don't really look at guitar as a sport. I started playing when I was 11, starting take lessons at 12 stopped at 17 and now I'm 19. I really got into writing and expanding my knowledge of music when I stopped taking lessons.

Right now I live in CA in moved from TX so I'm working on meeting people to play with, I've used this time to finish up unfinished songs so now I'm working on a clean sheet, so I decided to ask the guitar community.

Sorry if I came off as a douche because I can assure you, I'm not in the slightest. I don't like the whole, only shred stuff.
Quote by elfulanozutano
You can't stop learning an instrument, you never stop learning an instrument. If you stop learning more about an instrument than what is the point of playing?

Continuing to learn doesn't mean learning new techniques all the time though, once you get to a certain point it's all about refinement of the techniques you have and application of them along with theory and style.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Continuing to learn doesn't mean learning new techniques all the time though, once you get to a certain point it's all about refinement of the techniques you have and application of them along with theory and style.

Exactly. I didn't really get into the rest of the thread on the initial post, but this pretty much sums up the goofy things that you internet nerds decide to argue about.

And if you played 6 hours a day since you where 11, you definitely treat it as a sport. If you didn't you would have started writing a book by now.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be better, seeking perfection. Giving yourself the best tools to bring that song in your head out of the speaker. That is playing guitar.
Without the necessary tools needed to do what you want to do, you will never be able to do it.

Whether the next step is hybrid picking, or sweep tapping, is up to you. They are both quite difficult. Once one is down, what is the next step? Whatever long term goal you feel like chasing after, and of course the small steps in-between.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 2, 2010,