hi all,

im on the hunt for the perfect amp for me...

what you might want to know

- I play a gretsch 3166, which is a semi hollow. i modded it with tvjones tv classics in the neck and bridge, a p90 in the middle and a fishman power bridge. so obviously i would like good cleans. it also has an emg afterburner for a little extra kick.

- i play mostly pop-punk and rockabilly but i also play alot of metal and hardcore and dabble with blues and jazz and anything else i feel like playing. so i would like something that is fairly versatile but i dont mind using pedals.

- i want something that i can practice with and gig with too. so maybe 50w valve max. or something with a switchable output.

- my current amp is a hayden peacemaker 60 half stack.

- my budget is around US$1k but i live in australia so i might not be able to get some of the awesome us and uk amps. but im hoping that if there is something that is over seas i can have it shipped over if its the perfect amp.

i think that should be enough info.

i hope you guys can help
SING?
WRITE SONGS?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS THEN THIS IS THE GROUP FOR YOU!!!

/SINGER-SONG WRITERS
How about a used Mesa? Perhaps a Lonestar, or Lonestar Classic? The Lonestar might be a better choice, since it can produce 100 watts.
I think you should look at the Mesa Stiletto Ace. I don't know about cost & availability in Australia, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Might want to give the Mesa Express 5:50 a try. It will attenuate down to 5W for practice and 50W for gigging. Sounds fantastic too.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
wow! i love the egnater but i dont think i can get them in aus
SING?
WRITE SONGS?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS THEN THIS IS THE GROUP FOR YOU!!!

/SINGER-SONG WRITERS
What don't you like about your Hayden? There's a Line 6 Flextone head on eBay for $500 at the moment which should do you alright. You're not going to get overly versatile for $1000 AUD. I've seen DSL401s go for $800?
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 29, 2010,
re hayden... i just dont like the tone... i feel like i can never get a good eq... probably just my ears but its just not what im looking for
SING?
WRITE SONGS?

/SINGER-SONG WRITERS
Never liked the Peacemaker much, I know what you mean. I suggest plugging it into as decent cab (the Hayden 4x12 is probably the cheapest 4x12 cab available, although I don't think it sounds too bad) and seeing if you like the sound better.

If you go to a high-end rehearsal studio you can hire a good quality cab then spend an hour or so cranking the amp and messing with tones, shouldn't cost much and it's a good way to check how your amp sounds through different speakers.

Alternatively you could sell the head and buy a new one.