Does playing an instrument make listening to music a better experience?

Page 1 of 2
So, does having the ability to play an instrument make listening to music a better experience?

I think it does, because now when I listen to music I can sort of point out all the different instruments and understand what is going on. Understanding some theory helps, too.

Discuss.
Probably, from playing an instrument you'd know what's complicated and what's simple
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Without doubt.

inb4 essays describing it --> you understand what youre hearing. That's the simplest way of putting it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Mostly, yes. Except when I started playing guitar and learning the songs I liked at the time, I realised pretty quick that the songs were really simple and not very exciting. More of a reflection on the music I used to like though I think.

But otherwise, I think it gives you a better perspective on just how good (or bad) some musicians are.
Most Definately My Musical taste has changed dramatically from Indie to Avant-Garde I can listen to other music, but It just bores me after a while, and I find avant-garde music really intriguing and different

I also now instinctively think about how the song in question is composed, how its played out etc. Basically, it enables you to analyse music in a whole new perspective, and appreciate types of music wouldn't of listen to otherwise
Last edited by ultrasonic at Aug 29, 2010,
I don't know. I've played an instrument pretty much all of my life (that I can remember)so I have nothing to compare it to.
Definitely, it really lets you appreciate your favorite musicians.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
I don't know about better, but it certainly makes you appreciate originality and complexity a lot more. I know I loved music before I played guitar, but I was happier to hear what I now know to be the same chord progression over and over again.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Yeah. You understand what makes a musician talented and what's overrated. Like that autotune=cheating and Joe Satch=amazing despite having no lyrics.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
While it lets you appreciate excellent musicians, it also has ruined lots of bands for me now i have realised how simple they are =/
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by !-twisty-!
While it lets you appreciate excellent musicians, it also has ruined lots of bands for me now i have realised how simple they are =/

hey, ya can't knock simplicity when you look at how much money B182, Green day etcetera. have made from writing chord bashers.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yes and no. I can realize the potential of the music but I also turned into a major critic/elitist. It's a curse and a gift
Those of you lucky enough to still have your lives...
Take them with you. But leave the limbs you have lost.
They belong to me now.
I've found it really exciting to be able to play what my favorite bands have played. I've listened to music for a long long while. I've really enjoyed the ability to enjoy music on this level.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by WyldeRyde
Yes and no. I can realize the potential of the music but I also turned into a major critic/elitist. It's a curse and a gift

This. Sometimes
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Changed a lot for me, I used to be a complete Gun N Roses fanboy and I totally hated metal back before I started to play guitar, then after about 6 months I realized how repetitive Slash's music writing skills where and how amazing metal riffs where. Now I love stuff like Paul Gilbert, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Megadeth, ect.
Quote by derpdragon
Changed a lot for me, I used to be a complete Gun N Roses fanboy and I totally hated metal back before I started to play guitar, then after about 6 months I realized how repetitive Slash's music writing skills where and how amazing metal riffs where. Now I love stuff like Paul Gilbert, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Megadeth, ect.

i love you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yes and no, but mostly no. I'm extremely picky to what I listen to now, and it's very, very difficult for me to find new music that interests me. Not to mention I feel embarrassed to express my love of music, because most of what I listen to I can only discuss with people in these forums, because other people would go "lol, who the **** is Converge? Just another screamo band lololol". So pretty much I can't musically connect with anyone, and it makes me feel pretty alone, especially since most of my time is occupied listening to or playing music.

I'm starting to hate that I picked up my instrument now. Honestly, right now, after all of this, it feels like 2 years of wasted time that's totally changed my outlook on everything. I miss the good old days when I used to be able to sing popular songs with my friends and family, fun times.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 29, 2010,
Not necessarily, just because I have more musical knowledge doesn't enhance my joy of listening to music. My father can't play a note, but he still becomes transfixed when listening to his favourite piece of Erroll Garner. Last night, for instance, when I was listening to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, I didn't care about any intricacies or musical technicalities, I just sang along and waved my arms about in joy. Like I did before I could read music or play the piano.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Sort of, since now I try to learn the songs I listen to, and some of them I sing along with, though sometimes terribly.
E-adopted by Andrea55

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
sucks to be you

Quote by metal4eva_22
you fail on so many levels it's funny

Formspring

[Insert statement here]
Oh, I don't thinkmany people got the point of this thread. Most of you are talking about how your music taste has changed since you took up the guitar. I think TS is asking how the very way you listen to and experience music has changed.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Since I have been playing guitar I still love metal and pop punk above all other genres.

I just listen to the music more as opposed to just the singing, and I can listen to and appreciate all the different layers put into the songs.

I didn't suddenly hate bands like Blink 182 who just play powerchords, I still love Blink and Green Day I just LISTEN to the MUSIC more not just the lyrics and the melody.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 29, 2010,
Definitely, I enjoy music on a much deeper level now. Before I began learning guitar or musical theory I just focussed on the vocals and prominent guitar parts, now I listen to the whole band...yep, even the bass.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Yep, even neurologically it changes which side of one's brain processes music.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I would have said yes because it helps you understand the music better, where it came from and so on, and you appreciate the entire band more than just the vocalist.

But then I realized that now, it's impossible for me to listen to a lot of simple songs at a stretch because I get bored so quickly.
cat
Quote by derpdragon

I think this is funny since with GnR the whole band wrote the songs and in metal there are a lot of repetitive breakdowns and chugging.
Quote by Fiddly Diddly69
Probably, from playing an instrument you'd know what's complicated and what's simple

especially when you first try to play a song and can never get it right...

you have a new found respect for the musician, just for the ease they play the music with, and you start to appreciate how much time and effort they put into practicing (i wouldn't know Ive never been in a band)
lol:
Quote by Metallizach
your not alone. I am a chronic procrasturbator (meaning I put off things I should be doing, and fill that time masturbating)

DAVID GILMOUR IS GOD
No of course not. People can have a spiritual connection to music, whereas musicians will only listen to the music and understand it more. You may prefer that experience, but over all it doesn't change much.
i think the people who are really knowledgeable, who can listen to a piece and analyze it derive a different sort of pleasure from it. i wouldn't necessarily say more though
Yeah i think it does, i don't know why but i listen to music much more since i started playing guitar.
It definitley changed how I listen to music... before i played guitar i would hear a song as one solid sound, but after I learnt how to play guitar I could hear every individual instrument... kinda like SD vs HD
Quote by megano28
mickeyn8, burning Disneyland down as we speak...

THERE IS NO GOOD, NO EVIL - ONLY DECISIONS AND CONSEQUENCES

Resist- defy every calculation of reason explaining me away
Persist- unfold what is beyond, I am the mutant strain

I can't believe this needs to be asked.

I think a much more interesting question would be how does being a musician take away your musical appreciation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yep, even neurologically it changes which side of one's brain processes music.

quoted for truth.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by mini_groning
Yeah i think it does, i don't know why but i listen to music much more since i started playing guitar.

Maybe, because you... play the guitar.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Fiddly Diddly69

That really doesn't come into it for me. I would MUCH rather listen to a simple, melodic tune than shred at 304909 bpm.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I think it does, I try and analyse what every instrument is doing, trying to figure stuff out like time signatures, keys as well as figuring out scales and modes used in solos. I also try and figure songs out by ear which is always awesome.

However I find this is bad when I am listening to most pop as it is vocal based and simple, so I've just learnt to listen to most music for what it is, if you get me?
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
it's helped me listen in on parts i may have missed otherwise
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Yes and no. I can realize know how complex some things I listen to are, but in other things I can hear mistakes that the artists made, and I can't listen to some stuff I used to really enjoy know, the mistakes bother me.
Page 1 of 2