I recently bought a Washburn J28SDL (ngd thread soon!) and I feel as though I need an acoustic pick up - i don't know why and I probably wouldn't even use it that much so can anyone point me to the pro's and con's - I only play to friends/family/bedroom playing..

Thanks and watch out for my NGD thread

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
I recently bought a Washburn J28SDL (ngd thread soon!) and I feel as though I need an acoustic pick up - i don't know why and I probably wouldn't even use it that much so can anyone point me to the pro's and con's - I only play to friends/family/bedroom playing..

Thanks and watch out for my NGD thread

i bought a fishman rare earth humbucker and it's awesome

but remember, the pickup you buy needs research, such as:

is it single coil or humbucker?
is it bassy or trebely?
do i need to drill a hole or is it one without drilling?

and run it through a PA or acoustic amp not a normal amp, the normal amp takes away the acoustic ness xD

but in times of need use a normal amp...

OR you could go old school and mic your acoustic
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
You'd need one if you want to play through an amp or PA, for example if you were playing live in a noisy environment. For home use though, it'd be useful for you to EQ your sound, which is great if you're going to be doing percussive playing and really want a specific sound.

Generally, for just friends, family, bedroom, camping out, usual mucking about there's no need for a pickup.
Quote by Rokeman

Generally, for just friends, family, bedroom, camping out, usual mucking about there's no need for a pickup.

I agree. The only point I can see in getting a pickup is future-proofing the guitar for live performance.

As noted above, one option could be to mic up the guitar on stage, but there's the major problem with that concerning staying in a same or similar position/distance from the mic for the entire performance. I have only miced up my acoustic on stage a couple of times, and much prefer the consistency/freedom of using the pickup in the guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
OR you could go old school and mic your acoustic

this ones the best haha. for me it sounds better with mic, and the gud thing with this is that there are different ways to mic a guitar so u can control the tone
thanks guys, I think it was just the GAS speaking - i'll try get rid of it - to be honestI don't think my acoustic would sound right through my JCM .

The fishman looked good though and I should be more hasty because I've never tried one out before .

HELLO!