Hey, cats and kittens.

Searched for people having the same problem, and couldn't find anything useful/relevant.

So my brother's Squier Strat has suddenly seemed to have lost a whole lot of output, like the volume is constantly on 1. Running it through an amp with maxed gain gets a quiet, almost clean tone.

I'm certain it's a problem with the guitar, i've tried different combinations of amps, cables, etc. So somewhere, something's going on with the electronics, I know that. But what would cause it to just lose a whole load of output, but still otherwise work as normal? The pickup selector, volume and tone controls all work as they should, with no noise/crackling (though the second tone control does nothing with the bridge pickup selected, only the bridge+middle, but it was like that before).

If it helps, there's a slight buzz that goes away when I touch anything metal on the guitar, though I can't remember if that was there before (wouldn't suprise me, cheap guitar and all).

I've got no problem with opening it up and soldering things and replacing stuff if need be, but i've got no idea what i'm looking for. So far I had a quick look at the output jack and it's all in shape, so I doubt it's that.

Any ideas?
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by pete-c
Hey, cats and kittens.

Searched for people having the same problem, and couldn't find anything useful/relevant.

So my brother's Squier Strat has suddenly seemed to have lost a whole lot of output, like the volume is constantly on 1. Running it through an amp with maxed gain gets a quiet, almost clean tone.

I'm certain it's a problem with the guitar, i've tried different combinations of amps, cables, etc. So somewhere, something's going on with the electronics, I know that. But what would cause it to just lose a whole load of output, but still otherwise work as normal? The pickup selector, volume and tone controls all work as they should, with no noise/crackling (though the second tone control does nothing with the bridge pickup selected, only the bridge+middle, but it was like that before).

If it helps, there's a slight buzz that goes away when I touch anything metal on the guitar, though I can't remember if that was there before (wouldn't suprise me, cheap guitar and all).

I've got no problem with opening it up and soldering things and replacing stuff if need be, but i've got no idea what i'm looking for.

Any ideas?

check output jack, check electronics...if you don't know what it is? take it to a shop... only way to tell :/
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Haha, you didn't need to quote the whole post, especially as how you're the first reply.

Checked the output jack (edited that into my post just before seeing yours actually), just wondered if anything i'd described was telltale signs of anything in particular.
Like I said i'd rather not take it to a shop, as i'm perfectly capable of messing with the insides of guitars, but I don't know what i'd be looking for. Opening it up means losing the strings, and since neither me/my brother have spares atm, i'd rather leave that until I know what I need to do, if that makes sense.
Quote by pete-c
Hey, cats and kittens.

There's your problem. How long have you had the guitar? They're not exactly very reliable, so maybe you should just get a new one. If you repair it it'll probably break down again in like a month anyway. :/
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
^shut it.

can happen with any guitar. always tighten a jack like this, with the jack off the guitar.
never hand tighten.

like said, check that both wires are still connected.

$10 soldering iron to reattach if either wire is off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/INPUTJACKLABELED.jpg

like said, check that both wires are still connected.

Tried that, thanks, but still no luck. Both wires look properly connected and after plugging it in with the jack plug cover taken off, I can see the cable's properly connecting with the thing it's meant to contact.
Quote by pete-c
Tried that, thanks, but still no luck. Both wires look properly connected and after plugging it in with the jack plug cover taken off, I can see the cable's properly connecting with the thing it's meant to contact.

try blowing can compressed air in the pickup switch, while flicking.

dirt in switch can also effect output, BUT,

i would make sure the ground wire is on the inner most lug of the jack plug,
and re-solder those two wires anyway.

there's a ground issue, and the one to the jack is going to most offensive sounding.

the ground wire in the trem cavity, is also another easy to check wire.
but usually doesnt cause such a loud issue when detached.

also, because you brought it up, here's the connect point, just in case...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Are there any pedals in your chain?

Have you tried using different cables?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jj1565
try blowing can compressed air in the pickup switch, while flicking.

dirt in switch can also effect output, BUT,

i would make sure the ground wire is on the inner most lug of the jack plug,
and re-solder those two wires anyway.

there's a ground issue, and the one to the jack is going to most offensive sounding.

the ground wire in the trem cavity, is also another easy to check wire.
but usually doesnt cause such a loud issue when detached.

also, because you brought it up, here's the connect point, just in case...
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/f74d7edf.jpg

Sounds good, i'll try those ideas.

The ground wire to the trem looks fine too, it's securely soldered to where it should be.

Quote by Offworld92
Are there any pedals in your chain?
Nope, straight to amp.
Quote by Offworld92
Have you tried using different cables?
I'll let you read the first post again
(edit: nah, just kidding. as i'd said, tried different cables, amps, guitars even, and isolated it down to the guitar's electronics.)
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by pete-c

Nope, straight to amp.
I'll let you read the first post again
(edit: nah, just kidding. as i'd said, tried different cables, amps, guitars even, and isolated it down to the guitar's electronics.)

I'm sorry. I did read the OP, but... eh.

Let's see then... it's hard to say without you actually opening it. Chances are if none of those things are the culprit, then a solder point came loose inside the guitar. I mean, what else could it be?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X