Recently sold my old (an hopeless) epiphone and have been looking for a decent second guitar. I have about $400 AU which I could extend to about 700 in the next couple of months.

I was thinking about a Yamaha Pacifica 112J. Either that or saving up for a fender standard strat. Any advice on what to do, or other decent guitars?
What didn't you like about your Epiphone?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sound quality was shocking, the tone nob and pick up selector fell off numerous times, and the input at one stage fell out of the guitar, the action was too high ect ect. I also stopped liking the look of it. I have no idea if it was the guitars problem, or the fault of the people I bought it off.
That's understandable. I sold my Epiphone G400 for most of the reasons you just posted. My frets were awful as well, and it just wasn't worth it to keep fixing it. Hated the overall feel too. I can't play on short scales.

Jumping from a guitar like that to a strat like guitar is a massive jump though. What guitar did you have exactly? Have you been able to try out any guitars?

The best way for you to find out what to get is by trying out guitars until you find one you like. There's a lot more to a guitar than what goes on paper. And we can tell you what we think would be best for you, or what we like best all day long, but at the end of the day, only you can know what's right for you, by find out what fits right in your hands.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That's understandable. I sold my Epiphone G400 for most of the reasons you just posted. My frets were awful as well, and it just wasn't worth it to keep fixing it. Hated the overall feel too. I can't play on short scales.

Jumping from a guitar like that to a strat like guitar is a massive jump though. What guitar did you have exactly? Have you been able to try out any guitars?

The best way for you to find out what to get is by trying out guitars until you find one you like. There's a lot more to a guitar than what goes on paper. And we can tell you what we think would be best for you, or what we like best all day long, but at the end of the day, only you can know what's right for you, by find out what fits right in your hands.

This.
Go out and try your guitars!
Really listen to the sound of the guitar and the feel and look around for signs of good or bad quality in the design and the build.

The more you play guitars the more you learn about all the aspects.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Offworld92

Agreed

Pacifica 112J, amazing guitar but you will have to change the humbucker...and the input, they're both awful. Otherwise insanely cool guitar, however beware, I think they moved their factory to China. I still have the Indonesia made one and its lasted me many gigs and many years.

My personal opinion is try try try try try...My friend went into the store looking for a shreddy ibanez and instead bought a Charvel Jackson style reissue...One of the best decisions he ever made