why did people name eddie van halens old tone as the brown sound? does anyone know ?
I now have a signature
Because it made you s*it your pants because it sound so awesome?!

Might be related to the myth about a certain note (between 5 and 7Hz) would cause an involuntary bowel movement, although I don't think EVH's note is that low.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
he used a variable ac converter to up the voltage going into the amp. doing that to a tube amp gives it that extra fuzz that cant be replicated otherwise
Quote by iron.zeppelin
he used a variable ac converter to up the voltage going into the amp. doing that to a tube amp gives it that extra fuzz that cant be replicated otherwise

To add to that, it made EVH's tone seem unobtainable, much like the real brown sound.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
because that's what eddie called it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SinnaSatan
Because it made you s*it your pants because it sound so awesome?!

Might be related to the myth about a certain note (between 5 and 7Hz) would cause an involuntary bowel movement, although I don't think EVH's note is that low.

yeah i know about that myth.. i thought its somehow related lol
I now have a signature
Quote by iron.zeppelin

That's what I have heard. I have tried and tried to get that sound...

Never have.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Because the other colors were taken.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by iron.zeppelin

Its the other way around He used a variac to lower the voltage, not up it. Thats a common misconception. He lowered it to about 90v. If you run your amps full out like Ed did, they won't last long so he used a variac to lower it to 90, and I'm sure there were other reasons for doing this, most likely tone but of course no ones really saying officially.
The term brown sound was not coined by him, but by someone else. The funny thing is that, when you're starving the amp of volts like he did with the variac you're essentially 'browning' it out. I'm sure this was just a coincidence with the connection to the name.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Aug 29, 2010,
Eddie on the "Brown Sound":

"There is a difference between being just loud and having what I call a warm, brown sound, which is a toney sound."

"Some people get a sound like an amplified AM radio. I like it to be like a nice home stereo, the difference between tone and no tone."

Eddie Van Halen refers to his guitar tone as the "brown sound." He says it's not yellow, pink, or blue. It's brown. All dirt and molasses. It's not just a tone, but also the incredible mastery of the guitar that Ed displays on each Van Halen track. Actually, the term "brown sound" was originally coined by the Van Halen brothers to describe the sound of Alex's snare. Ed has even said "I want my guitar to sound like Al's snare drum." That doesn't seem so strange compared to the low tech rig that Eddie was working with!

Willem
Lessons, tips, advice at http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com
Interesting, so that source says they coined the term themselves, might be right. If so then I stand corrected. However, the lowering of the volts with the variac is true, he never turned it up.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Interesting, so that source says they coined the term themselves, might be right. If so then I stand corrected. However, the lowering of the volts with the variac is true, he never turned it up.

It's a quote I remember reading way back in the day in a guitar magazine -- it was an interview with Eddie. I didn't remember it word for word, but found it after some google-fu.

Willem
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com
Dammit...all the poop jokes are taken.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by willemhdb
It's a quote I remember reading way back in the day in a guitar magazine -- it was an interview with Eddie. I didn't remember it word for word, but found it after some google-fu.

Willem

Stop advertising your blog with every post.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by willemhdb

Willem

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-reveals-his-biggest-lie/

Quote by EVH0
I told people the complete opposite. I told them I raised it up 140 volts. I felt so bad. I felt so f—ing horrible, man. They said, “Please don’t attempt what Eddie Van Halen said in the last interview, because everyone was blowing their amps.” Everyone fried their amps ’cause of me. I felt so bad. I never lied again after that.

The variac was in there, but he used it to lower the voltage going into his amp, not raise it.