Just taking a break from writing an lp of Post-hardcore demos. After the last tab I posted I enjoyed that fun Promise Ring/Fugazi style so much I'm considering a future band that probably won't start for a couple of years even tbh but it's always good to start putting demos together early to build some sort of unique style right? ... or some such rubbish like that xD that way there's something to work on!

enough rambling!

Thought I would write a bit of "progish" whatever. Call it what you want really as always haha. I think for once I managed to create a coherent piece of music instead of the usual riff-salad I'd come up with when attempting this style. You be the judge, but I think really on a roll with song writing at the moment. There are a few transitions that need work/expanding on but my songs are never finished in a way.

See what you think! Its not too long. I prefer my prog short haha I know, I know an oxymoron right?

Anyway. Here it is.

UPDATE VERSION LATER IN THREAD!
Attachments:
#8.zip
Last edited by Of_Wolves at Aug 29, 2010,
Dude, this song is really sick. Its kind of crazy and hard to keep up with in the begging and stuff, but just because theres so much going on but other than that its greet. The slow part was pretty cool as well. Digged the change in the drum kit, really added to it. but the best part was probably the (breakdown I guess you would call it?) from 26-36. You pulled that part off perfectly.

Thanks for the crit btw!
Yeah I think its fair to call the section at 26 a breakdown. Thats kind of what it works as after all huh hehe

Thanks for returning!

Little added question: What do you lot think of the melodic-poppy-corey section [whatever you want to call it]? I'm fairly sure the keyboard part works, so that not an issue but I think somehting is off.

Should I vary/change the drums up a little? Maybe thats the issue I'm having with it. Just doesn't seem as tight as the rest of it. -shrugs-
I think it sounds pretty awesome, one of my favorite parts but I do think if you changed the drums it would be better.
Reserved for crit. Currently visiting family, I don't have Guitar Pro on this computer and I refuse to use TuxGuitar . Should be back tomorrow or later tonight!
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
Really cool. A lot going on, the guitar layering and stereo use was skillfully pulled off. I enjoyed the lack of minor or chromatic scales while still retaining heaviness. Bar 99 was awesome haha, that bass work is sick. Ends a bit abruptly; I wasn't expecting that. Maybe do something different, but it didn't sound bad. Overall super solid stuff here. Unique sound, keep it up.
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
I like the clean breakdown bit. Especially the bassline. I'm not normally a fan of uneven time signatures but you kind of pulled it off in the intro. But all the time sig changes do get a bit ridiculous. Also it ended very abruptly, and not on the right note. The outro is written in D# major/minor (not sure which) so it should end on D#, which is 6th string fret 2.

C4C? It's called Fake Tan and Faker Hair
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356563
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Quote by MetaIronForce
I like the clean breakdown bit. Especially the bassline. I'm not normally a fan of uneven time signatures but you kind of pulled it off in the intro. But all the time sig changes do get a bit ridiculous. Also it ended very abruptly, and not on the right note. The outro is written in D# major/minor (not sure which) so it should end on D#, which is 6th string fret 2.

C4C? It's called Fake Tan and Faker Hair
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356563

A D#? yeah not sure about that. even if its technically correct to do so, screw that haha. sounds much more final to my ears ending on C#. What the point of rules if you can't break them huh Besides, D# doesn't feature nearly enough in the piece [aside from the first breakdown] to warrant resolving to it at the end. Regardless of key. It wouldn't feel like "home" if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Of_Wolves at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Of_Wolves
A D#? yeah not sure about that. even if its technically correct to do so, screw that haha. sounds much more final to my ears ending on C#. What the point of rules if you can't break them huh

In this case they're not rules, they're guidelines. Doing something just because its different rather musically better is NOT the way to write a song. You actually said that the D# sounds much more final to your ears, so your just refusing to do what sounds better.

Quote by Of_Wolves
Yeeeeeah, I didn't. I said the C# was more final. Try reading.

Anyway, its all a matter of personal taste, so lets just leave it at that shall we.

sorry, my mind put a "than" before "ending on C#". But if you think it sounds good thats fine.

Bumping this.

-I'm not sure how to describe that beginning riff. It's good how it bring out that good ol' 2nd wave PHC of yesteryear.

-The transition to the mathcore at bar 17 was well played.
How did you do that?
It's sublime how effortless it seems.

-I will refer to bar 26 as the "Arusha" section, since it has a few shining similarities to TAA and Sikth. Good stuff.

-Melody was nice. A bit dour for my taste, but it was effective.

-Bar 83 happens to be a good change in motif. I didn't tire of the 1st motif, but I did think it was going to end because of the way you came back to the original riff.
I gotta say, this sounds a lot like Sikth. I can't remember the song specifically, but I think it was on Death of A Dead Day.

-Good return to the main theme. I liked that you finished with your strongest horse in the stable.

Nice song. I like how cohesive it was, given it's chaotic climate akin to mathcore.
I'm glad I finally got around to this song.
Now where's my full crit boy?!?