*Doesn't watch video*

That's it were all done for.....I'm out.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Fools, such fools... they've doomed us all.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It'll be awesome to have your own brain in a robot. Then you'd be like Bender from Futurama, but better.
DeVillains!
I'm trying to figure out how this can be possible. it doesn't say HOW it's using the rat's brain, but I'm assuming the rat brain serves merely as a bunch of wires, and not as an actual processing unit.

EDIT: TS, here's a much better link that describes what exactly they're doing with this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7559150.stm
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 29, 2010,
You damned scientist have been playing god again!

You've doomed us all!
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Holy f... I want to be a cyborg some day.

the music in the background is perfect for this clip btw
The blob of nerves forming the brain of the robot was taken from the neural cortex in a rat foetus and then treated to dissolve the connections between individual neurons. Sensory input from the sonar on the robot is piped to the blob of cells to help them form new connections that will aid the machine as it navigates around its pen.

As the cells are living tissue, they are kept separate from the robot in a temperature-controlled cabinet in a container pitted with electrodes. Signals are passed to and from the robot via Bluetooth short-range radio. Reading robot, University of Reading/PA The robot and rat brain cells work together T

he brain cells have been taught how to control the robot's movements so it can steer round obstacles and the next step, say its creators, is to get it to recognise its surroundings.

Once the robot can do this the researchers plan to disrupt the memories in a bid to recreate the gradual loss of mental faculties seen in diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Studies of how neural tissue is degraded or copes with the disruption could give insights into these conditions.

So they're using it to study Alzheimers and Parkinson's?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure they are.

chill the fuck out guys! he's got this!
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
That's freaky.

Hard to find articles on the internet about it though. Closest I found was a BBC article on the same thing from 2008 but developed at the University of Reading. Which is definietly not in surrey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0eZytv6Qk

But of course I guess we can assume this is the new and improved model.

I just remembered what this all reminds me of.

First movie to accurately predict part of the future?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 29, 2010,
Wow. Pretty neat.

I bet you it's been done with a human's brain. Somewhere in some secret bunker in Russia, or in Antarctica, or Area51. They just don't want us to know about it.
Quote by OddOneOut
That's freaky.

Hard to find articles on the internet about it though. Closest I found was a BBC article on the same thing from 2008 but developed at the University of Reading. Which is definietly not in surrey...

it's most likely the same line of research, but with better technology.

they're going to take over,

don't know about you guys but I'm going to start building a bunker
Quote by Ylasto
It'll be awesome to have your own brain in a robot. Then you'd be like Bender from Futurama, but better.

I just imagined Bender would say Nobody can be like Me. Then a Bender clone walks up and Bender yells WTF and walks away furiously.

Yeah were all...no my great great grand kids are all screwed.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm trying to figure out how this can be possible. it doesn't say HOW it's using the rat's brain, but I'm assuming the rat brain serves merely as a bunch of wires, and not as an actual processing unit.

EDIT: TS, here's a much better link that describes what exactly they're doing with this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7559150.stm

That dates back to March 2008

What happened to this technology, I hope they've done some updates.
Quote by metalblaster
Wow. Pretty neat.

I bet you it's been done with a human's brain. Somewhere in some secret bunker in Russia, or in Antarctica, or Area51. They just don't want us to know about it.

of course the did, they wouldn't be showing us this with a rat if they weren't certain they could do it with humans
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Way to go Scientists!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by SG_dave
That is sick. And when i say sick i don't mean in a good way. I mean toying with nature and ****ing up a poor rat.

If it helps, the brains cells come from a rat foetus.
Quote by Renka

*several poor rats

Not a big loss. Before this started, the rats were forced to do an IQ test, to see what would become of them. Turns out the only thing they could be were lawyers and politicians, so good riddance.
good goood
by the time its close to most of our deaths we can probably live forever with technology
TAKE THAT GOD!
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by OddOneOut
If it helps, the brains cells come from a rat foetus.

And I feel sorry for the pregnant rat out there who had the world's smallest tweasers shoved up it's vag to get those cells.

/completely misunderstanding the process one would go through to get rat brain cells.
Well, I guess that's that...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by cornmancer
And I feel sorry for the pregnant rat out there who had the world's smallest tweasers shoved up it's vag to get those cells.

/completely misunderstanding the process one would go through to get rat brain cells.

In all seriousness I think we can afford to spare a few rats for the sake of the advancement of this technology which has much wider uses than making a little robot move and behave like a rat.
Quote by Renka

That's cool. Kind of scary. Very interesting. I hope humanity doesn't get replaced by rat robots.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
That's cool. Kind of scary. Very interesting. I hope humanity doesn't get replaced by rat robots.

*looks at username*

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Well, in two years, the first fully-armed cyborg, controlled by a human brain will be created. After which, it'll slay all in it's path and create more brethren to aid in the slaughter of all Earth. Two years.
Quote by Maglun
Well, in two years, the first fully-armed cyborg, controlled by a human brain will be created. After which, it'll slay all in it's path and create more brethren to aid in the slaughter of all Earth. Two years.

....in 2012

Still doesn't work as well as an actual rat though, does it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well, would you be better off with wheels instead of actual legs?
Would you be better off without any actual sense of smell, sight or hearing? (Sure, they might have some kind of sensors, but I don't know, if they have some sort of cameras or something. )
Mr. Evo Lution is sat at home right now scratching his head like...'wtf hapened to that rat?'
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.