Marshall VS100 or a Roland Cube 80w? I may also try and run some pedals, if that changes anything. Nice cleans and orange-like midgain distortion is what Im aimin for. If someone here on UG could help out this tender trout, I would be much obliged. Thank you
Both pretty rubbish choices.

Have a look for a used Flextone or maybe a Kustom Defender. A brand new Bugera V22 is only a little more than a Cube 80.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 29, 2010,
The 20w Jet City combo is the same price as a 80x. It's worth checking out.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Budget?
Location?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Miami, and around $700. Its gotta get loud, loud enough to be heard over a 100 watt Marshall MG. I already own the VS100, so as you can see, the equipment we're working with is kinda ****ed. Im just tryin to salvage our tone the best I can. Should I just flat out get a new head? Another thing that frustrates me about my band is that I think our tones sound too similar, being that their both low end marshalls. Is there maybe a distortion/overdrive pedal that would help satisfy me? Please UG, love me.
dude, if your playing punk, just get a cheap amp cause thats what punk is about cheap production, just make sure you have gain. just my 2 cents.
You should check out Craigslist for south Florida then. You have an ass ton of heads on there for around that price, from Mesa Singles to JSXs to various Marshalls.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Jacobrivers8
dude, if your playing punk, just get a cheap amp cause thats what punk is about cheap production, just make sure you have gain. just my 2 cents.

This of course is bollocks. The Sex Pistols used a cranked Fender Twin, the Ramones used Marshall JMP's and JCM800's. Not what I'd call cheap amps. Punk is about attitude, not cheap equipment.

Try to find a used JCM900, it will pull off what you want and often go quite cheaply. An SL-X if you can find one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you want Orange-like distortion, you could see if you could find a used Dual Terror. I wouldn't go for the Tiny Terror, though, you can do better than the TT on that budget. The previous suggestions in this thread are pretty good for what you want.

I'd also see if you could find a used Mesa Rectifier or a Mark, or a DC or F series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
JCA50H? Pair it with a 2x12 cab loaded with celestion v30's and I think you'd have a great setup. I recommend Avatar for cheap, but good cabs by the way.

Take a look at the Dual Terror as well if you're looking for that Orange sound, since it's, well, and Orange amp.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Jacobrivers8

He's playing punk, not black metal.

Actually, the VS would do some types of punk well, but there's way better available.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
jcm 900 is the perfect amp for you in my opinion
a poor cab might not help your tone but better a good head through a crap cab than a crap head through a crap cab
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Oh man, you guys are a seriously great help, thank you so much. Ill be lookin more into all these amps, but wouldnt a 30 or 50 watt tube amp be too quiet for the 100w solid state I jam with? And if I got a powerful JCM 100w head, wouldnt it blow my 100 watt cab if I crank it? You guys really dont know how much I appreciate the help, I dunno who else to turn to with these questions
Quote by ScaryWizard
wouldnt a 30 or 50 watt tube amp be too quiet for the 100w solid state I jam with?

Good lord no. A 30W valve head could probably overpower the MG in many situations.