So most tube amps get a better sound at higher volumes, or rather, when their tubes are being pushed harder.

Obviously, as I live in an apartment, and value my eardrums, pushing my VK212's tubes is not practical at all.

I've been thinking though, would it be possible for me to get a better sound by drastically lowering the level on my EQ pedal (MIJ Boss GE7), and then turning the volume on the amp up?

In my mind, I think yes, that would work really well, but I want to know what you guys think.

Also, I'm assuming to do this I'd have to run my EQ in front of the amp and not in the loop, right?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Won't work, even slightly. Just gives you a second master volume, which is useful for fine tuning the sound levels but won't make it sound any better.

Just do what I do: leave the amp to do what it's designed for (gigs) and use Amplitube when you're at home.
As Kyle said, it wont work.

You would be increasing the output from the tubes but reducing the signal going into them. This wouldnt push them enough to get the cranked tone.

Basically your options are to A: Buy an attenuator (a real one, not an eBay pot-in-a-box) or B: Live with it and only turn it up at gigs or rehearsals
Why is evryone still suggesting attenuators? They're meant mostly for amps that get overdrive from the power valves - amps like vintage marshalls, AC30s, fender twins etc etc.
It means you can get poweramp crunch at a level that sits comfortably with a band rather than deafening the audience.

The Valveking is a modern amp which gets most of its gain from the preamp section, and using an attenuator on it in the bedroom is almost entirely pointless.
All you're going to do is wear out the power valves doing something a cheap pedal could do just as well, for a mediocre sound. It still won't sound that great because it's not 'moving air', and because Valvekings are cheap, loud amps that aren't designed to have their power tubes working really hard anyway.
^ +1
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by kyle62
Why is evryone still suggesting attenuators? They're meant mostly for amps that get overdrive from the power valves - amps like vintage marshalls, AC30s, fender twins etc etc.
It means you can get poweramp crunch at a level that sits comfortably with a band rather than deafening the audience.

The Valveking is a modern amp which gets most of its gain from the preamp section, and using an attenuator on it in the bedroom is almost entirely pointless.
All you're going to do is wear out the power valves doing something a cheap pedal could do just as well, for a mediocre sound. It still won't sound that great because it's not 'moving air', and because Valvekings are cheap, loud amps that aren't designed to have their power tubes working really hard anyway.

Agreed. Attenuators do not turn a 100W amp into a bedroom amp. If you don't like the tone when you turn the amp down you have the wrong amp for that situation.
Having said that though, have you done the necessary things required to make a VK sound decent? Better valves and more importantly, better speakers? Better speakers may make it acceptable. Sure they will still sound better turned up, but you're just practicing at home so you don't really need perfection do you? Better speakers will improve your tone everywhere, including when you crank it up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Agreed. Attenuators do not turn a 100W amp into a bedroom amp. If you don't like the tone when you turn the amp down you have the wrong amp for that situation.
Having said that though, have you done the necessary things required to make a VK sound decent? Better valves and more importantly, better speakers? Better speakers may make it acceptable. Sure they will still sound better turned up, but you're just practicing at home so you don't really need perfection do you? Better speakers will improve your tone everywhere, including when you crank it up.

Well not really, there's a metalhead on these forums that uses an attenuator. instead of running your master at 0.1-2 you could move that to 3-4 maybe even 5 with an attenuator and lose less tone. just my two cents
Quote by stykerwolf
Well not really, there's a metalhead on these forums that uses an attenuator. instead of running your master at 0.1-2 you could move that to 3-4 maybe even 5 with an attenuator and lose less tone. just my two cents

Still won't make it sound good through the stock speakers, nothing will.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I love my tone now, I have no problem with the way it sounds.

I got it for gigging, obviously I wouldn't get such a big amp just because. I was just wondering what I could do with it.

Yes, it has been modified, it has JJ tubes now. The speaker is still stock, but it sounds fine to me. I could upgrade the speakers, but I don't really feel a need to at the moment. When I get a new amp, this will be my clean amp, and the cleans on this thing are ****ing lush. No complaints there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X