question; probably more applicable to the more elderly personnel of the pit.

So I was forced to watch wizard of oz with the wife. i fell asleep so its all good.

But she was saying it was the first color movie ever made. it was made in 1939.

so how is it that my dad (born in 62) says he remembers when color TVs first came out when he was a kid and it was all the big thing. But they already had it in 1939.

Was there some kind of 25 year lapse in financing for any sort of visual technology or something.

Oh yeah, WWII. But still like holy shit, thats a pretty big gap.

its like saying, hey we invented the automobile!! 20 years later; hey we still have these cars waiting to be bought!!! omgomgomg a car!!!! what is that!!! wow how insane!!!!! i want one!!!! *esplosion*
Well, your wife is wrong in a way. The movie was filmed in black in white. It was colorized later on.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I'm not sure about this, but couldn't it be that colour movies could only be shown in colour in the cinemas but couldn't be shown in colour on tv until colour tv was invented...

If anyone wants to correct me, please do
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by RockGuitar92
Well, your wife is wrong in a way. The movie was filmed in black in white. It was colorized later on.

really?

thats sound like some pretty cutting edge editing for the day.
Quote by poipoi
I'm not sure about this, but couldn't it be that colour movies could only be shown in colour in the cinemas but couldn't be shown in colour on tv until colour tv was invented...

If anyone wants to correct me, please do

hmmmm, yeah that makes sense.

could be that people didnt want to spend 5000$ on a special projector the size of their car.
Quote by metalblaster
really?

As in, in later years.
Quote by metalblaster
really?

I mean it was colorized years later. I can't remember when exactly but I learned about it in AP US History last year.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Black and white still retains colour temperatures, so it's very possible to colourize movies filmed in black and white.

But colour movies came about way before colours TVs were comerically available.

It's the same as HD these days, everyone and their grandma has a HDTV these days, but movies have been filmed in HD since maybe even the 50s. HD has been shown in theatres for atleast 20 years (rough estimation).

Little known fact is that 35mm film has a very high spacial resolution (depending on the cameras parts, we're assuming high quality for a high budget film), but because it wasn't honed the way it is today, the picture would become grainy when rendered for HD release.

Grab yourself a Blu-Ray of a pretty old film and you'll notice it is incredible quality, but has a grain (which I kinda like) as opposed to the crystal clear imagery of todays digital recording techniques.

</lecture>
wizard of oz was filmed with technicolor which was an old technology used to film in color. it was basically filmed in black and white in a special camera commissioned by MGM and the studio later colored the frames in. another film that takes advantage of this is Meet Me in St. Louis.

Color filming (and thus color TVs) didn't become available to consumers very well until the late 50s or 60s.

also, usually films are dealt newer filming technologies years in advance compared to television mainly because studios and producers feel confident that their movies will make a huge profit (i.e. Avatar).
Sent from my iPad.
^ good read. I learned something interesting for once in the pit!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
There were colored movies before colored television. Movies and tv are two different technologies. Wizard of Oz was color originally. The second half anyway. Dr. X and Mystery of the Wax Museum came out in 1932 and were in color. There was a colored scene in Phantom of the Opera which came out in 1925. Television didn't appear until 1940's and they didn't have the ability to film and view color until the 1960's, when they were able to develop the technology.
You guys don't know jack shit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by paintITblack39
wizard of oz was filmed with technicolor which was an old technology used to film in color. it was basically filmed in black and white in a special camera commissioned by MGM and the studio later colored the frames in. another film that takes advantage of this is Meet Me in St. Louis.

Color filming (and thus color TVs) didn't become available to consumers very well until the late 50s or 60s.

also, usually films are dealt newer filming technologies years in advance compared to television mainly because studios and producers feel confident that their movies will make a huge profit (i.e. Avatar).

hmm, this is most interesting....
There were filters you could buy to put on your TV screen, blue on top shifting to green on the bottom, that you could use to simulate a color TV. I am seriously not making that up.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
You guys don't know jack shit.

*calvin and hobbs*

LOLOLOL

That was enjoyable thanks for that, I used to think like that when I was a kid..haha