Hey just a couple questions...ive been playing bass for a couple months now, and i want to learn how to record bass covers...im REALLY new to all this tech and stuff, so could someone just please help me out with what ill need for my laptop to record my bass covers? thanks :P
There are a couple ways you could record, what is your setup?
No means maybe
srry im a complete failure to this stuff abut studios, recordings, and stuff like that :P, umm all i can really tell you is i only have a laptop with a cam, and no way to record sound...
If your amp has a headphone jack, plug a cable into that and into a Line-In jack in your computer and hopefully it should record onto Audacity pretty easily
Ew no, don't do that. That will sound like garbage. You should buy an interface like a Line 6 Toneport and plug your bass directly into that, then use an amp simulator to get a sound that will be ridiculously better than your amp with a mic. You could also use your amp's DI out if you have one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
sweet, okay...so plug it into the headphones jack on my amp, then plug it into laptop, and put it in audacity?
I would just try and do what A-G-guitarist said, or if you don't have the jacks/chords yet then try and just take the audio from your camera, either way you aren't going to get the best sound quality.

edit: do you have any money?
No means maybe
You can do that, but it will sound like garbage. Lots of garbage. Especially with bass frequencies. Go ahead and try it if you have a cable for it, but you're really not going to like the sound.

edit: just buy this- http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006 it's only $79 and will sound amazing.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Aug 29, 2010,
hmm...well what do all those people on youtube do to get a clear sound of the song, AND their bass?
Sid, I think bearing in mind he just wants to figure out how to record anything at all, I don't think the sound quality is gonna really be much of a problem right now. No one starts off with Cubase quality when they don't know how to even record things in the first place. It's just an easy way to record right here and now with things he probably has in his house. Maybe get a Toneport later once he knows what he wants to do with the recordings.
See, he wants a clear sound. The last thing you'll get plugging a BASS into a laptop soundcard is a clear sound. Also, having a pod studio will reduce the latency, which would become a huge problem if he wanted to add a second track to anything. Personally, I don't use real amps on any of my professional recordings, or in my university's pro tools studio A, we use DI for everything. It just sounds way better, and the pod studio is ridiculously cheap!

Quote by vampire275
hmm...well what do all those people on youtube do to get a clear sound of the song, AND their bass?

post a link so I can hear it, but they most likely drop the mp3 into recording software and have their bass going into a second track in the software, then they play along to it and mix the two together. This is all possible with the pod farm software and ableton live lite which both come with the pod studio. It's also possible with audacity and a line-in cable, but the sound quality will not be clear and playing along to the mp3, the bass will come through late making it hard to play in time (latency).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Ok then maybe a Toneport would be useful. Being a guitarist, I haven't heard a starter Squier bass (according to his profile) through any computers or Audacity or anything so I wouldn't know about how clear it'd come out myself. All I know is the song on my profile that I uploaded last night was just my LTD and Line 6 Spider going straight into Audacity.
That guy isn't even plugging anything into his computer, he has the music coming out of his computer speakers and he's using his webcam mic to record the audio of his bass amp sitting across the room.

This guy is using a Di for his bass and putting the mp3 in his software with the bass sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQLy7UclVk (skip to 1:20 for a really clear sound of his bass, he's using distortion so it sounds kinda funny. it's also really good at like 2:00)
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by vampire275
kk heres a random song with a (i think) nice decent bass sound...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVl3F-H_RFg

I think that's just his speakers playing the song and his amp turned up the right amount being recorded by his camera that he's obviously put the file on his computer to upload.
okay well...ill go find out how to use audacity and stuff...see what kinda sound i can get...and just screw around wit my stuff see what i can get...
Fair enough man. If you're really unhappy with what comes out of Audacity then maybe a Toneport would be useful. I noticed your date of birth on your profile too so I'd just ask for the money (or save up, whatever's easier) for the smallest Line 6 Toneport you can get. They're about £50 ish over here, dunno what that is in $s but they're kinda cheap and good quality.
That's the thing I posted a link to already, go click it! Actually, toneport is the old name of the pod studio, sorry I forgot to clarify that!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass