I have a Martin DCX1E. I like it, but I've realized that it's not all wood. And I've heard that guitars that are all wood grow in sound quality, and get better over time. I'm wanting to try and get a Seagull acoustic for my Martin in trading. I'd just like to here some opinions from people who know more about this than me. Thanks
Acoustic guitars are like fine wine: They get better as they age. This is because all the water that the wood was holding evaporates, giving it a brighter, more resonant sound. That's just a general rule of thumb though, go by what your ear tells you. If you like the sound of your Martin over the Seagull, then by all means stick with the Martin.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
If you like it, don't get something else. There is no reason to think less of it.

Quote by swordsofplague
This is because all the water that the wood was holding evaporates, giving it a brighter, more resonant sound.

No it isn't. The wood settles to the same moisture content as the air surrounding it, which takes about a day. The instrument would be in bad shape if all the moisture was gone.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by GC Shred Off
If you like it, don't get something else. There is no reason to think less of it.

No it isn't. The wood settles to the same moisture content as the air surrounding it, which takes about a day. The instrument would be in bad shape if all the moisture was gone.

I stand corrected, thank you my good man
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
I stand corrected, thank you my good man

It's even debatable whether or not getting old makes guitars sound better. There is little to suggest that the effect is even noticeable (beyond hearsay, that is). It's an argument not worth getting into. If TS is content with his current guitar, he should keep it.
I'm not going to lie, I mainly got the Martin because of the little logo on the headstock. I like the guitar, but for $700, I think I could've gotten a much better sounding guitar. I'm attracted to the look of Seagulls, and they sound amazing as well. I'm just really worried about what I can get out of my Martin for trade-in value. I'd like to get a $700-$800 Seagull, and I'm willing to trade in my Martin and a Jackson Dinky with a custom paintjob on it. The Martin lists for $700, and the Jackson lists for about $900. But they're both used, and I've not got a chance to take them to a guitar shop to get an actual value on them. I never play the Jackson, because I purchased a '91 strat which plays a lot better, so I'm not worried about losing a little bit of money on it.
Trade-in value, as it was explained to me, is usually about 1/4th what you would pay for the thing new. In any case that I've traded something in, I was working for the music store at the time, so I got a bit of a better value than most (perks of being an employee).

Although, in some cases, since you'd be looking at immediately putting it towards another guitar in the store, the owner might be willing to work on it a bit with you.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
if you trade in at gc, and do a little fast talking, they'll give you the trade in value plus 15% off of the cost of the guitar you're buying. that's how i laid away my taylor - that 15% added up to over $300 off the cost plus i got half the value of the bass i was trading in. then if you do this on a sale day, like their labor day sale, some sales guys will give you that discount as well.

of course, it depends on what brand you're buying and whether the sales rep is cool. i've found coming in periodically to get to know a sales guy or two can really help here. we play at wla guitar center all the time because the guys there are super cool, and when they're not busy, we talk with them about what they play and other guitar stuff. the results have been lower prices and longer layaways.
Quote by patticake
if you trade in at gc, and do a little fast talking, they'll give you the trade in value plus 15% off of the cost of the guitar you're buying. that's how i laid away my taylor - that 15% added up to over $300 off the cost plus i got half the value of the bass i was trading in. then if you do this on a sale day, like their labor day sale, some sales guys will give you that discount as well.

of course, it depends on what brand you're buying and whether the sales rep is cool. i've found coming in periodically to get to know a sales guy or two can really help here. we play at wla guitar center all the time because the guys there are super cool, and when they're not busy, we talk with them about what they play and other guitar stuff. the results have been lower prices and longer layaways.

guitar is doing that standard for a limited time. till the end of this month i think
i know for fact cuz my homeboy at gc told me when i got my hummingbird