So I'm looking for an amp. I've got a pretty small budget for now. I'll be buying a good one in about 10 months time or so I think.

Anyway, the store guy advised me to get a Line 6 Spider IV 15 Watt. It's 100 EUR and that's about my budget. Not much more than that at any rate.

It's not for gigs obviously. Just for bedroom practice. Metal mainly.

So, Spider IV 15, good amp (for the price)? Or maybe you guys have other suggestions.
Using EMG 81 pickups btw.
What guitar do you have that would have two EMG 81s in it??!

Also, no. The spider gets a lot of hate around here for a reason.

Peavey Vypyr 15w

/thread

PS: Active PUPs through a modeler will probably sound like poo.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
used vypyr 30watts. DO IT
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Most will recommend the Vypyr. It's probably the way you want to go. Definitely do not get the Spider. Really, I would be suspicious of anything the sales people recommend. They're usually wrong. But I also hate salespeople.
I play guitar
ESP LTD M-1000.
At the moment I just don't have an amp.. I know I should actually have a better amp for that guitar, but I thought I'll just have a lil practice amp and then buy a bit beefier amp (for gigs maybe, or just to play with some friends or so) in like 10 months time.

I'm now checking that Peavey amp. That's a modeler too, right? At any rate, I'd asume it's better than Solid State.
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Peavey Vypyr 15w.

this is one of my amps...i swear this is awesome for a practise amp..the effects and sound it has for such a little guy is incredible. very reasonable in price too.
Yeah its a modelling amp, believe me this blows the spider out of the water for versatility and for metal.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Ok, sounds great (: Just two little questions. Are the effects of the 15 watt as good, if not better than the Spider IV 15?

Secondly, I just found someone who has the Vypyr 30 on sale (just one in the whole country, haha :p), but I'm not exactly sure about second hand stuff. Do amps have defects over time, or is a secondhand amp a safe buy? I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with guitar gear, so I really don't have a clue.
Vypyr for sure.
But I would look at some Roland Cube amps too.
They're REALLY great.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
As long as it's in decent shape, a used one would be fine. More bang for buck.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Ok, so it not like amps degrade in quality over time right?

This guy is willing to sell his vypyr 30 for 125 EUR. New it would cost 195. New 15 watt would be 110.
So is 125 a good buy, considering it's second hand?
Either a Vypyr 30 or a Roland Cube 30X would both be great choices. As long as the used amp you're buying looks in near mint condition you should be fine. The only thing I own that was bought new was my guitar and nothing has ever failed me. The Vypyr probably just has the edge over the Cube but you'll find loads more Cubes around used so the price may well be better and it really is a great amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Jace_ts
Ok, so it not like amps degrade in quality over time right?

This guy is willing to sell his vypyr 30 for 125 EUR. New it would cost 195. New 15 watt would be 110.
So is 125 a good buy, considering it's second hand?

Well modelling amps degrade a lot slower compared to tube amps, anyway how old is it?

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Check ur used market....never know when u will find a Gem...
Quote by adj209
Well modelling amps degrade a lot slower compared to tube amps, anyway how old is it?

I don't mean to be a douche, but this is completely false. With the same care, a tube amp and ss of the same build quality will last an equal amount of time.

Actually, more often SS and modelers will break down, because many cheaper ones are not built very well (I'm looking at you, Line 6 Spider.)

Fortunatly for TS, Vypyrs are now well built. Some eary vypyrs had problems, however, so see how old it is.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ok, so it's one year old. Little problem though, that's collecting it. It seems today was the last day to buy some ultra cheap train travel tickets.. Paying full price would near the new price of the product.

Is the 30 Watt Vypyr (195) worth the 85 EUR extra compared to the 15 watt (110)? Also, does anyone have any experience with having an amp sent to you? I'm a bit scared of having it sent, because I don't want it to get damaged.
The Vypyr is an amazing amp.

I actually plugged my 15W in yesterday for the first time in months....

****ing amazing. IMO the best $100 anyone can spend. They're really just amazing amps. I was using the Red Recto channel with phaser and an assload of delay... it was orgasmic.

The 30 is way better than the 15 I have, because the 30 has another plethora of effects that the 15 doesn't have. Get it - you won't regret it.

The only reason I would say not to get it is because active pickups don't sound good through low wattage amps.

Do you have a different guitar to practice with? If not it's not the end of the world, but yeah...

In any case, 125 is a steal for that amp. Definitely get it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Afraid I can't get the used one.
Found it new for 190 though. I think I'll go for it.

Just to gain some knowledge, why isn't solid state ok for EMG's (or any other active for that matter). Tried to find some information about it, but couldn't really understand why it's such a difference.
Only have one guitar by the way. Well.. soon. Will collect it this Saturday (ESP LTD M-1000). Before this I had a hired Richwood guitar. Don't know the model name, but was around the 200 EUR price point.

Anyway, is there anything for under the 200 EUR that would do better with those EMG's than the Vypyr? I've checked out loads of videos of these vypyrs and they seem to be great amps, even when coupled with active pu guitars. Might just be my lack of experience though..
Maybe a used ValveKing, but you lose all the awesome effects going that way. It's not a big deal, especially if it's just a practice amp. I personally couldn't get a good tone out of a Vypyr when I was using active pickups, but I don't know. I've heard people on here say they can.

It's not solid state amps that aren't good for actives, it's just amps with low wattages. Tube amps handle them better, and sound better with them used than solid states do. Active pickups need a lot of headroom. Solid state amps can't be pushed the way tube amps can, because they don't have tubes. You need a higher wattage of solid state amp than you would for tube amp for that reason. The safety net for solid state amps and active pickups is around 100W. For tube amps, I want to say around 50, though I'm sure smaller sizes can handle them well too.

Sorry if this didn't make any sense... just ask more if you want me to clarify more.

Also, there are a lot more knowledgeable people than me on the subject, but many more unknowledgeable people. Hopefully the former comes in and helps you out.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ah, I think I understand. Much more helpful than anything else I've found until now.

So, say I'm just having this only at home, with the master volume knob at just like 25%, would it be ok then? I had a (bad) 15 watt before and I never had it over like 35%, so I'd assume I wouldn't be going any higher at home with the 30 watt one. This way I'd figure that I have enough headroom. Or is it so that it will only sound good at pretty high volume anyway?
You don't have to actually be putting out that many watts, you just need them to be there. Theoretically, a 30W Vypyr will not be able to handle actives, but some people say they can get it to sound good.

In the end, I find that it's just a lot easier to use your ears than to get into the technicality of it. If you can, try the Vypyr at the store and run EMG's through it, and see how it sounds to you. Run passives through it as well, and compare the two. That should help you a lot, instead of trying to understand the technicality of it. It's a lot easier to understand from firsthand experience.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok, will do it this saturday then.
Probably will be going for the 30W Vypyr anyway though, unless it really makes a very big difference. But it's always good to gain some experience and with it, some knowledge.

Thanks for your help (:
Any amp will handle actives, i honestly don't know what your on about. The argument about SS and EMGs is that its not worth getting them with a low end amp. You will have no problem.

Get the 30 watt Vypyr and get on with it.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ok, cool. That settles that. Was starting to think I might just have to add more cash to get a 75 watt, but I guess that won't be needed (I'm 300 EUR over budget to start with, haha).

Just a little thing I came across though. Vox VT30. Same price as the Vypyr 30. Some dutch guy told me I should look into that.

Came across this on UG though:
The Vox is not a thrash amp. Period.

True?

As I said, I play mainly (thrash)metal. Lightest would be about Pink Floyd like. Enjoy Led Zeppelin now and then too. Would want to also be able to get a Slayer and Metallica like sound.

Oh, to think of it, Digitech Whammy should work on any amp right? Someone told me it won't do well on every amp..
The Vypyr is the better metal amp, no competition.

The Digitech should be fine.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ok, cool

Got it all ordered now. Should arrive by Saturday. First product I've ever bought entirely based on what other people have told me.

I'll post what I think of it when I have it.

Thanks for all the help.