Hey UG
I'm thinking about having a coil splitter in my Epi SG400 but i dont know what pots are needed? What resistance/whatever.
Where do i look/which do i need?
I changed from stock pups to Iron Gear: Hot Slag's if it makes any difference, didnt need to change pots.
Thanks all
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
I think you just need 500k push pull pots, the rest is in the wiring.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
SG's and Les Paul's typically use 500k pots. You can check the pots that are already in it to make sure since it will probably say either 250K 500k or 1meg somewhere.
You can go for a bigger value if you want to make it sounds a little brighter or a smaller one if you want it a little duller.

I'm not sure if you already know but in order to do a coil tap you will need one or 2 push/pull pots of whatever resistance you choose.
One can let you tap either only one of the pickups or both together depending on how you wire it.
Two can let you coil tap each pickup seperately.
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat (Modded)
Tokai Love Rock
Squier Strat (Modded)

Effects
Boss DS-1, DD-7, RC-20XL
EHX Big Muff, Electric Mistress
Digitech Whammy

Amps
Vox VT50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Last edited by Avs at Aug 29, 2010,
Yeah, i was just thinking of putting one on, not sure which though. Just for a more twangy feel on my clean/od tones
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Coil-Tapping a neck pickup with good cleans like a DiMarzio Air Norton (just an example, flame sheild activated) can add a really bright, clean sound when used right and is great for adding versatility to the guitar.

You typically need one push-pull pot, or some kind of toggle and the resistance values depend on the tone you want
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by richyt93
Yeah, i was just thinking of putting one on, not sure which though. Just for a more twangy feel on my clean/od tones

Most folks like splitting the neck pickup but I like the bridge pickup split for single coil operation. You get (imo) a lot more of a "twangy", "spanky" tone that way and when combined with the full neck humbucker you can get even more tonal variations.

I usually have the push/pull pots on the tone controls.
You can find good wiring diagrams on the Seymour Duncan website.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.