well i want to know more music theory because i learned how helpful it can be. and i want to understand chord progressions such as Em – B – D –A – C – G – B – B (i copied that from some video) so can some one help me understand?
Firstly, what do you know already?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Firstly, what do you know already?

i know pretty much music theory. like a few scales, such as C major, G major, D major, A minor, B minor, E minor, E minor harmonic, a minor harmonic.. yo get the idea.. i can improvise over stuff.. but what i did was play a A, G, F, E power cords.. and used A minor to solo -.- that enough? or what do you want me to know O.o
^ I'd recommend learning in a graduated manner from a reputable source.

A college level text is a good place to start. Or even a book like Music theory for Dummies.

When you have specific questions, forums and lessons/articles on the internet are a decent supplement.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ I'd recommend learning in a graduated manner from a reputable source.

A college level text is a good place to start. Or even a book like Music theory for Dummies.

When you have specific questions, forums and lessons/articles on the internet are a decent supplement.

any books you think i should get? ive never had one lesson. im trying to figure it out alone and this is taken to long. what would you recommend?
Quote by Darkdevil1584
any books you think i should get? ive never had one lesson. im trying to figure it out alone and this is taken to long. what would you recommend?

I've heard good things about this book...

http://books.google.com/books?id=iYgSJSxWW2sC&dq=music+theory+for+dummies&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=Q8Z6TNTMJdGLnQeujY34AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

and they seem to show a portion of it for free at that link^
edit: it might even be the whole book for free.

I definitely recommend spending time reading standard notation on guitar. You'll find most (if not all) reputable books on music theory use standard notation to illustrate examples.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I've heard good things about this book...

http://books.google.com/books?id=iYgSJSxWW2sC&dq=music+theory+for+dummies&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=Q8Z6TNTMJdGLnQeujY34AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

and they seem to show a portion of it for free at that link^
edit: it might even be the whole book for free.

I definitely recommend spending time reading standard notation on guitar. You'll find most (if not all) reputable books on music theory use standard notation to illustrate examples.

i can do notiation lol but it takes me a while xD and hey can improve sight reading also
Quote by Darkdevil1584
oh llame -.- i new all that all ready

Well, Im sure you can find a book with some fancier words in it if thats what your after.
shred is gaudy music
It seems to me that you need a book/article on harmonic analysis. I unfortunately am no help there. I can, however talk you through some harmonic analysis if you'd like. The reason I asked you how much you know is so I could either A) determine that you need to learn more or B) determine that you know enough for me to help you out with some harmonic analysis.

If you do indeed know everything in that book, then I'll go ahead and talk you through this progression and explain my thought process.

Actually, I do have one more question for you: Are you able to determine the key of that progression?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea