I think I have a problem with pull offs only.
I can do trills no problem, but when ti comes to pulling off down a scale (or rather up the neck instead of down to the thinnest string), it rings out and sounds like shit-- plus my power is gone. I have NO problem hammering on up a scale at all.

Lets say I want to do an E phyrgian on E std tuning.
|-----15p13p12--------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------15p13p12--------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------14p12------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------15p14p12------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------15p14p12------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------15p13p12------

Should I pick the first note in the triplet series (Ex: Pick note 15 on high string E, then just press down with more force from my index/middle finger to make the other notes sound? Actually this is more like a backwards hammer on than anything.
How I do it sucks. Plus it can't be right... How can other guitarists sit there and make their pull offs sound so fluid?

Q: Do you need to have all your fingers already in place before you pull off? When going through the scale, should you pull off and then immediately place all 3 fingers?

Q2: Do you have to pull your fingers off in a way towards the ground that sort of 'plucks' the note as it's leaving to sound it? I saw this in a video, but I struggle to do it with my pinky.

Also, if I don't mute the string immediately below it... that string rings out like a sore thumb. Is this a shitty guitar [probably my shitty technique, but maybe its the pickups or strings sucking as well...]

LASTLY:
Do you have any practice techniques? This thread would be pointless without sharing some way of improving this skill. Thank you, pardon my bad english.

So how do you pull off properly ?
: )
Well, when you do a pull-off you have to kind of bend the the string slightly so that you are"plucking" so to say.

Also to your first question do what feels comfortable for you.

My practice techniques include inlcude play trills whenever I pick-up a guitar. Trill when you are sitting with your guitar, when you are watching TV or just whenecver you have a spare moment. It really helps your playing!

Hope that helped :P
Quote by Cjk10000
Q: Do you need to have all your fingers already in place before you pull off? When going through the scale, should you pull off and then immediately place all 3 fingers?

Q2: Do you have to pull your fingers off in a way towards the ground that sort of 'plucks' the note as it's leaving to sound it? I saw this in a video, but I struggle to do it with my pinky.

Also, if I don't mute the string immediately below it... that string rings out like a sore thumb. Is this a shitty guitar [probably my shitty technique, but maybe its the pickups or strings sucking as well...]

LASTLY:
Do you have any practice techniques? This thread would be pointless without sharing some way of improving this skill. Thank you, pardon my bad english.

So how do you pull off properly ?

A1: Generally it's considered good technique for beginners to have your fingers all in place before you begin pulling off but as you go on you'll probably find that this doesn't always work out so well.

A2: Again, the most common descending legato technique is the pull-off that you described, using the finger that's on the string to pluck as you remove it. There is also the "all-hammers" technique but to me that's something that you should work on later when you've got a real grasp of the instrument as a whole.

If other strings are ringing it is a problem with your technique and not your instrument, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Bearing in mind that you already know what your technique should be like the only thing to do is to keep practicing slowly until it feels easy and natural.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.