Yeah so I might start playing bass because my one friend has a band and their original bassist would flake out on shit all the time, so I was wondering if you guys have any pointers.

They play stuff off kill em all (metallica album), peace sells (the song), and a bunch of other crap.

Oh yeah I play guitar already pretty fast (hardest thing I can play is the painkiller solo) and I play with a pick sometimes, but I usually play with my fingers.
well if you are that good at guitar, then bass should be no trouble. being a guitarist and playing bass too is easy. playing guitar and writing for bass is when things get harder
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Well when I was trying to come up with songs, I made the bass and percussion parts with something called tux guitar, and the bass sounded pretty b.a. the drums just looped some random ass rythme i came up with.
Well first off, I would encourage you to approach the bass as a completely separate instrument. It's not a big, 4 stringed guitar, and there are a lot of guitarists that switch over and play the bass as a big guitar, and not a bass.

You'll need a bass and a bass amp. A guitar amp will not do, unless you're using a guitar head and a bass cab.

When it comes to how you play, it doesn't matter, pick, fingers, whatever works best for you.

Check out the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum, it should prove helpful. And welcome to the wonderful world of bass!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Well first off, I would encourage you to approach the bass as a completely separate instrument. It's not a big, 4 stringed guitar, and there are a lot of guitarists that switch over and play the bass as a big guitar, and not a bass.

You'll need a bass and a bass amp. A guitar amp will not do, unless you're using a guitar head and a bass cab.

When it comes to how you play, it doesn't matter, pick, fingers, whatever works best for you.

Check out the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum, it should prove helpful. And welcome to the wonderful world of bass!

Yeah i know that.

I'm not just another twat whos like 'OH HURR DURR! BASSISTS ARE NEVER HERD" I actually like the instrument which is the only reason why I'm looking into this. If I wasn't interested in playing the bass I probably wouldn't try it out in the first place.

Oh yeah I heard bass guitars ruin regular guitar amps, so would it work if I plugged the output into my computer instead of having it come through the amp itself? (like headphones, except it goes into my computer and I can record/listen/playback what I'm playing)
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Aug 30, 2010,