Are these guitars any good? Is there much of a difference between these and the standard models? Better or worse than going for an Epiphone?
They're obviously gonna be better due to the fact its gibson, and so will sport the gibson hardware, instead of epiphone, but there isnt MAJOR difference i believe
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
They are good. You might have to mill through a few before finding a nice one but ya, they are good guitars. Out of the faded series I think the SG, V and Explorer are the Go-to models. The faded LP's do not have a maple top which I think has an effect on the tone when comparing it to the standards having the maple top.
Cool, its either the V or the sg im thinking of anyway.

so is the ONLY difference the finish?
Quote by mark6663
Cool, its either the V or the sg im thinking of anyway.

so is the ONLY difference the finish?

With the SG.....finish, inlays, binding and bridge pickup. The Standard has a 498T the faded IIRC the 490t

The V IIRC is just the finish.

Edit...I am pretty sure the faded series does not come with a hardshell case either.
Last edited by Earthrug at Aug 29, 2010,
wow... and on thomann theres 150E difference for the V's.
Thats pretty strange lol. I kinda actually prefer the faded color anyway...

639E isnt bad for pretty much the a gibson flying V standard
Quote by mark6663
Are these guitars any good? Is there much of a difference between these and the standard models? Better or worse than going for an Epiphone?

Theres nothing wrong with the faded series. My Faded LP is an amazing guitar and for the price I recommend it. My buddy has a Epi LP standard from the 90's and my 08' faded LP blows it out of the water. People are usually concerned about the top, but the mahogany works well.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Play the guitar and decide for your self. Lets face it the taste in guitars on this board run from cheap to crap.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I had a faded SG and it played well. I sold it because I like strats better but I kinda missed it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by teamhex
Theres nothing wrong with the faded series. My Faded LP is an amazing guitar and for the price I recommend it. My buddy has a Epi LP standard from the 90's and my 08' faded LP blows it out of the water. People are usually concerned about the top, but the mahogany works well.

Ya, the hog' tops are fine in my book. IIRC the earliest custom LP's had a carved hog' top. Of course if a person buys one thinking it has a maple top they might not be happy about it when they find out it don't!
Quote by richyt93
They're obviously gonna be better due to the fact its gibson, and so will sport the gibson hardware, instead of epiphone, but there isnt MAJOR difference i believe

actually the hardware is the least significant and some will even go as far as to say that epiphones actually have better hardware (except for those awful pickups).

the difference is in the build quality and the wood quality - it is noticably superior on the gibson faded models to what it is with epiphones even though the faded models are sub-standard compared to other gibsons. I have a LP studio faded which has great resonance and a very organic, smooth tone that people are constantly noticing and commenting on. obviously this comes from the individual pieces of wood which make the guitar more than anything and i may have been very lucky indeed to find this particular les paul
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
There isn't a single difference between the Faded and Standard Flying V's, except the finish and a hardshell case. If you're wanting a Faded SG or V try finding one of the earlier models from 2002-2005. They had ebony fretboards and have a little more bite in the pick attack
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Depends what actual guitar you are talking about - If it's a V, the difference is the finish only.

If you're talking about a Les Paul, well there are quite a few - no maple top, binding, basic dot inlays etc. Pickups are the same 490R/498T combination. The faded LP is actually a great guitar, and great value for money.
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....
wow, usually they get blasted on these boards lol

Personally, I have a Gibson SG faded that I compared side-to-side to a Gibson SG Standard when I bought it, and it sounded EXACTLY the same. I bought it because it felt much better to my hands, I was a big fan of the faded finish and didn't like the standard's neck as much (thinner and stickier)
However, my faded had been used and modded, so it has new tuning keys and I'm not sure about the pickups as they have covers on them. However, the previous owner probably just put them on the original pickups, though the bridge pup really sounds like the standard one... maybe he changed it in an attempt to turn it into a standard?
Gibson must not have been too found of the wood quality of their Faded Vs when I bought one, because they put a wall anchor in the strap button hole. If they don't think it's good enough to hold a strap button in, it won't inspire faith for me in the quality of the rest of the materials. I took it back.

The guitar itself however played and sounded great.
I think Gibson faded/worn guitars are just as good as the ones that are finished. I bought a faded/worn Explorer and it was the best playing best quality Gibby they had in the whole shop. Faded Gibsons are made of the exact same mahogany as all there mahogany body guitars. As far as the wall anchor goes someone did that, it did not come from Gibson that way. Gibson's QC has slipped but that is something they would never do. If for some reason something happened to the body and the hole was too big or got stripped out they would have fixed it properly before it was shipped out there is no way they would put a wall anchor in. My money is on the shop doing it hoping no one would notice and/or they were selling a used guitar as new. I would have brought it back too and never bought anything from that shop again. You should have taken pics of it and sent them with your story to Gibson. They are not to happy with authorized shops pulling crap like that.

One last thing is it might have been a counterfeit and the shop was passing it off as a real Gibby!!!!!!

John
Quote by johnro6659
I think Gibson faded/worn guitars are just as good as the ones that are finished. I bought a faded/worn Explorer and it was the best playing best quality Gibby they had in the whole shop. Faded Gibsons are made of the exact same mahogany as all there mahogany body guitars. As far as the wall anchor goes someone did that, it did not come from Gibson that way. Gibson's QC has slipped but that is something they would never do. If for some reason something happened to the body and the hole was too big or got stripped out they would have fixed it properly before it was shipped out there is no way they would put a wall anchor in. My money is on the shop doing it hoping no one would notice and/or they were selling a used guitar as new. I would have brought it back too and never bought anything from that shop again. You should have taken pics of it and sent them with your story to Gibson. They are not to happy with authorized shops pulling crap like that.

One last thing is it might have been a counterfeit and the shop was passing it off as a real Gibby!!!!!!

John

I bought it at GC and talked to Gibson about it, they confirmed it was normal. I believe they said it was to hang it from the drying rack when they finished it, and I did have a trusted repairman said he had seen it before in a new Gibson of similar model. My guess? The button probably tore out before it left the shop and they tried to fix it, or they knew of an issue with the wood used and tried to cover it up. Never seen it in a guitar like that before or after. The fact it was confirmed to have left the factory that way was enough to not make me buy a Gibson again of any cost... if it had been a B stock I would have lived with it but not for full price and the BS explanation.

No doubt it played it great and had top notch hardware, but it felt to me like they cut corners on the wood quality to get the price down, and if they needed to put an anchor in the wood quality was not good enough to go into a $700 guitar, high quality hardware and Made in the USA or not.

EDIT: Of course, Guitar Center doesn't always fall into my list of reputable dealers either.

EDIT2: I also want to mentioned that the practice that makes it shady is the explanation given when it's not something everyone has obviously run into. It leaving the company as an A stock with a repair (and one that frankly wasn't done right; a proper job would have been to dowel and redrill it) is a joke.
Last edited by CJRocker at Aug 30, 2010,