OK, so i am primarily a guitar player, but i know the basics of how to play a bass, and i have to admit i am pretty decent at it. I have been wondering recently about how hard it would be to learn violin/fiddle. From what i can tell, the note structure of both is set up basically the same, am i correct? i don't know how to read traditional sheet music, so would that be a problem with the violin/fiddle. I just want to know if trying to learn violin would be easier for me since i know how to play bass.
It wouldn't really make a difference whether you knew bass or not. Bass is tuned in fourths, violin in 5ths. Being able to read music is essential if you would be wanting to learn western/classical music, as most music for violin is written in standard notation. Apart from all that there's the bowing technique, and a completely different mind set would be needed. There's also the issue of intonation.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
It would only be easier in the sense that you somewhat understand music. None of the technique is the same. From a technical aspect, learning to play violin is hard. It's an unnatural hand position and motion with the bow. You would have a headstart on someone who knew nothing but not much,
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by fleajr_1412
It wouldn't really make a difference whether you knew bass or not. Bass is tuned in fourths, violin in 5ths. Being able to read music is essential if you would be wanting to learn western/classical music, as most music for violin is written in standard notation. Apart from all that there's the bowing technique, and a completely different mind set would be needed. There's also the issue of intonation.

Bass tuned in fifths. Highest string is the first string
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
You would have an advantage in the sense that you're experienced in learning an instrument, so you know the right approach to take to better yourself. Some of your musical knowledge would also translate over and help you out (although they're so far apart you'd have to be careful not to be influenced too much by your guitar/bass playing as I expect it could have a negative impact).

Hand strength and a familiarity with pushing down strings (I want to say fretting but violins don't have frets) will also help you to pick up a violin technique.

However all that aside, you'll probably find that your guitar knowledge translates a lot less smoothly to violin than it did to bass. I wouldn't expect it to be an easy transition by any means.
Quote by fleajr_1412

Damn..... Haha. I like a good challenge!
Having a good ear is important to play violin since it has no frets and no inlays. If you have a good ear already, you will have a head start but I guess the technical aspect will such a big hurdle, that it won't make that much a difference.
Quote by /OOM
Bass tuned in fifths. Highest string is the first string

Er, no it isn't.

It's tuned in fourths.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Think of it this way, the biggest thing bass guitar and violin have in common is the number of strings.

And learn to read music, you'll need it for violin, and its just a good skill to have, even if you just stick with guitar/bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
They're tuned differently, played differently, and have different roles.
You have just about as much knowledge as with a guitar.

So I would say no, knowing bass doesn't give you some secret knowledge for playing violin compared to guitar. If anything, I think guitar would give you more knowledge because both guitar and violin are lead treble instruments (if you did bass and cello, perhaps there would be something more innate due to both being lower instruments (or say, bass and double bass)).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Ha, I play bass and went over to double bass and still, theres only so much you can cross over.

Two instruments, two different playing styles.
pinga
I play bass and violin, and let me tell you; TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

The only similarities are that they both have 4 strings (and thats only with a 4 string bass) and the strings are tuned E A D G. Even with that tuning, on violin, E string is highest string, opposite on bass.

I learnt the violin before coming to bass, and it helped a lot imho. There are so many attributes you can bring from transitioning from violin to bass .. but the other way around .. Idk about that.

Switching from bass to violin, I would say huuuuuuuuuuge difficulties. First, how you hold the violin, between chin and shoulder bit, weight, finger spacing, bowing position and technique etc. etc. the list goes on. I could go on forever.

But I would say, the biggest difficulty in learning violin is where to put fingers. Once you master that, everything seems that much easier. There are no frets, and the slightest difference in postition - literally millimetres - can make the note flat, sharp, natural etc. Then you go on to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th positions.

^^ All that aside, it's worth it, but it's a long journey. Not one for the faint hearted, or those who give up easily.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Quote by Nutter_101
Er, no it isn't.

It's tuned in fourths.

It's a joke, the intervals if you figure them from the top string down are 5ths. One of those funny music theory things.

D -> G = 4th
G -> D = 5th
Quote by izhar
It's a joke, the intervals if you figure them from the top string down are 5ths. One of those funny music theory things.

D -> G = 4th
G -> D = 5th

Jokes are meant to be funny
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I use to play viola before I started playing guitar or bass and the only thing you can really use is the theory. Maybe if you played unlined fretless bass you would have some advantage but the bowing is a whole different story.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Nutter_101
Jokes are meant to be funny

Haha not even a joke.
On a bass the G is the first string. Therefore you start there and move to the second string which is D. G -> D = 5th
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
You tune up from the lowest string. Hence why the violin is considered as tuned in fifths, bass is tuned in fourths, and guitar is fourths with a 3rd in there.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

So, if you were not to use the bow and hold it just like guitar or bass, could you play it in the same way, as far as where the notes are located and such?
Quote by Tojo62
So, if you were not to use the bow and hold it just like guitar or bass, could you play it in the same way, as far as where the notes are located and such?

Theoretically you can but in practice it would be counter productive to say the least.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni