Hi all
Im finding that my bass doesn't cope well with drop tunings (only to D) - the low E string becomes waaaay to loose and becomes almost unusable - and i was surprised to find out that i actually had 45-105's on there. I need a new set anyway - i still have the stock strings from buying the bass over a year ago. Im gonna get a 55-110 set which should cope with downtunings better. But do i go for coated or non coated? I like coated guitar strings (elixir) - they last a lot longer. But is it worth getting coated bass strings, when bass strings last quite long anyway?
Any recommendations on brands, and how long do they last?
Thanks!
My friend bought a coated set for his bass once. After about a week the coating started falling apart and his fretboard got covered in crap.

He might have just bought a bad/cheap set though, I don't know. Non-the-less, that (alongside the fact I think they just look tacky) has prevented me from ever considering buying a set myself.

Personal preference though.
Quote by Ziphoblat
After about a week the coating started falling apart and his fretboard got covered in crap.

Never happened with my coated guitar strings, anyone else have any experiences like this?
Thanks
After a while of use, Elixirs and or any other coated string WILL start to get all 'hairy' looking and will look crappy.

In my opinion, coated strings are way too slippery feeling, dull sounding and just blah.

Non coated strings sound much brighter and feel much better.
pinga