ok, so over time music has been stored and sold on vinyl, cassette, cd, and now is making a shift to digital format. Although you can illegally download music, many people have enough integrity to support the artist and purchase their material online. You purchase both albums and individual songs, for about a buck a piece.

So here's where I started thinking. In the future will the release albums even be necessary? The whole point of grouping songs together is to make a collective sale. There are albums with concepts or some sort of artistic coherence that holds a commonality between the songs, but such work is declining, I believe and bands are just pumping out songs to satisfy their labels or to try to get a hit on the radio.

So what's stopping bands/artist from individually releasing tracks one by one. It would be convenient as the musicians can post new songs on a regular basis and be making a consistent profit. The fans would always be updated on the bands progress, and their wouldn't be a wait or down periods in a band's career. You wouldn't have to rent mass amount of time periods in the studio, you could just go into to record a track or two every few months when you've finished writing them. and you wouldn't been in the situation where you're rushed to complete something before it's ready. You could even update with more complete versions, it would just mean you get more sales, because some people would buy both versions.

and finally, you would have a more flexible touring schedule. you wouldn't have to go across an entire country promoting the release of an album like mad in hopes to get in to sell but tour on a casual regular basis and simple promote the newest songs released by playing them. Maybe you could even give people who come to the concert a free song download to increase ticket prices.

tl;dr - in the future is it possibile and/or mroe convenient for songs to be sold individually online and cease the release of albums
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It is indeed possible. Actually it would make sense for them to do this. I can definitely see this happening in the not too distant future.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
The thing is that releasing a full album creates a lot more hype and gets a lot more attention that just the release of singles. It could happen, but probably won't. I guess I could see it happening with radio pop but other than that,no.
i feel like the more "professional" bands will stick to releasing groups of songs, just because that's how it's been. i think even radio pop artists who don't do concept albums get a kick out of naming a group of songs as an album.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
The collective work of an entire album is more important to me than any one song in most cases. I enjoy sitting down and listening to an album in it's entirety more so than just listening to a few singles off of it.
There's something living in these lines.
I think i was going to say something clever but ive been staring at guitarguy's avatar for a while now.
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

Quote by guitarguy0153
The collective work of an entire album is more important to me than any one song in most cases. I enjoy sitting down and listening to an album in it's entirety more so than just listening to a few singles off of it.

This.

A coherent, well-thought out album interests me a lot more than sporadic, unrelated songs.
it's called 'Itunes music store'.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
it's called 'Itunes music store'.

read OP again. it'd be like iTunes and artist would use mediums as such, except they would release songs individually, on a consistent basis, and would be purchased digital making compact cd's obsolete. essentially it would mean discarding the whole process of recording an album as a whole and let musicians concentrate on a piece at a time.
Quote by Night
I think it would make each individual song much better because they could focus on one at a time. But I think it would make it easier to lose interest in a band quicker because they don't have a whole album of songs you can listen to at once.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by guitarguy0153

I agree. Most of the artists I listen to, you can't just take one or two songs. You have to take it as a whole.
Quote by neidnarb11890
So, like...singles? But mp3's instead of 45's?

Nah man, it's the wave of the future.
Quality quality quality quality. Nothing you download digitally will sound as good off a CD or vinyl. Although after all the good bands have died/broken up/ what ever and theres nothing left but money grubbing pop bands, than it's entirely possible.
Quote by guitarguy0153

hey i like you GUITARGUY hehe
Hello Will You Be My Freind?
Quote by guitar-guy69
i knocked a girl up once but thank the lord it died inside her

Quote by guitar-guy69
Guitar-guy69 your the best

Quote by guitar-guy69
my penis floats when its in the water so it always looks hard

Hello my name is guy i like my women naked and aroused lol
Billy Corgan is doing pretty much the exact thing you described. He's recording songs as he writes them, and then touring. That, and he's also releasing the songs for free.
This makes sense for most radio pop artists and bands that don't have a concept or structure behind their albums. Any artist that just passes off a collection of songs as an album should be doing this.

I however, prefer full albums.
The reason they don't sell songs individually is because they make less money. They'll have 3 good songs on an album, and 7 meh ones. You wouldn't buy the meh ones, so they'd lose money.
Quote by derpdragon
Quality quality quality quality. Nothing you download digitally will sound as good off a CD or vinyl. Although after all the good bands have died/broken up/ what ever and theres nothing left but money grubbing pop bands, than it's entirely possible.

Don't you think that as time goes on digital files while exceed quality of cd or vinyl? We have the technology the only problem really is storage. and we're already finding methods to compress files while saving the quality, ie. AAC, FLAC
Quote by Night