Does anyone have any helpful tricks/advice on switching from accoustic to electric (distorted) in songs? Basically I have a song I am working on with an accoustic intro and the rest is all heavy distortion (its a metal song). However when I combine the two sections it sounds kind of forced and too rapid a switch. Just didnt know if anyone had any advice on switching between the two, more specifically building up to a distorted/thrashy sort of riff.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Yes I havent added drums yet, but the intro is 2 guitars, a bass, and quieter/background synth strings. The main riff keeps the guitars and bass, but drums will be added to both sections probably.

EDIT: Its on guitar pro at the moment just if you were wondering I have yet to personally record it
-Mike Tyson
Well one way to 'smoothly' move from clean\distorted to distorted\clean is to have one instrument change to clean\distorted while the rest continue distorted\clean. A well timed rest between parts also works quite well and isn't so abrupt as just changing while still playing. You could also use volume swells to introduce the new part.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Well one way to 'smoothly' move from clean\distorted to distorted\clean is to have one instrument change to clean\distorted while the rest continue distorted\clean. A well timed rest between parts also works quite well and isn't so abrupt as just changing while still playing. You could also use volume swells to introduce the new part.

I was considering doing either the volume swells or have a short rest where the drums pick up and lead way into the faster riff I guess I just needed to hear someone else say it haha. I will have to fiddle around some more I got a few ideas and see what comes of it, thanks for the help.
-Mike Tyson
Believe it or not, listening to some post rock (especially If These Trees Could Talk and This Will Destroy You) can give you some great tips on how to achieve this. That's because a lot of post rock songs start slow and quiet and build up in speed and volume until unleashing distortion and heaviness. Personally, I feel this sort of build up and release of tension is crucial to the transitions you're describing.