45 21%
90s
65 30%
00s
53 25%
Voters: 215.
Page 1 of 3
before you say ''searchbar you idiot'' i have to clarify the question first

wether it is the underground or the mainstream, no matter how heavy or soft that rock or metal is

what is your favourite decade in rock music?

i wanna see something but im not gonna tell you cause it might affect the results...
Last edited by actaderock at Aug 29, 2010,
50's BCE
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
90's all the way. so much great music.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
00's There is lots of cool stuff that happened, and even now som far in the new decade, there has been some sweet stuff.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
90's for every kind of music, not just rock

The 90's had Nine Inch Nails, Kyuss, Aphex twin, Blur, Daft Punk, Goatsnake, Jeff Buckley, Karma to Burn, Electric Wizard, Mr. Oizo, Nirvana ect...
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 29, 2010,
90's man. so much honest and cool stuff...although i also love the late 60's and the 70's.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
The 70's, easily.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I think it's gotten consistantly better decade by decade.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Either 60s or 70s.

I'm stunned anyone even considers the 00s the best decade, easily the worst so far (from the listed above).
Quote by PTJohe
Either 60s or 70s.

I'm stunned anyone even considers the 00s the best decade, easily the worst so far (from the listed above).

Maybe not hte best for rock, but for music in general, I'd say a pretty great decade.
Now is pretty good. Admittedly, pop and rock are hard to distinguish right now, so it's hard to say whether it's a good time for this or that... but it's been that way on plenty of occasions in the past, so whatever. Maybe it's just a good time for both.

Inb4 genre bashing and 14 year olds whining about Led Zep.
No way I could vote for just one. Probably '90s more than anything else. But still the '90s didn't have Led Zeppelin, the best rock band of all time... out of these choices I'd pick all but the '50s and '00s. Such crap came from both decades.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by cornmancer
Maybe not hte best for rock, but for music in general, I'd say a pretty great decade.

I thought this topic was about rock music decades...

However, if this was about music decades in general, I would still have to disagree.
Last edited by PTJohe at Aug 29, 2010,
00's, had the best variety in metal and pop punk, my two favorite genres.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
60s closely followed by the 70s but I listen to music from the 50s through to the 00s. There's always good music being made.
00s are good for me because of Mastodon, BTBAM, The Black Dahlia Murder, Gojira, Meshuggah, Opeth, and some other great stuff here and there. All of these bands have had some great releases in the 00s, making it my favorite decade.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by MortifiedLizard
No way I could vote for just one. Probably '90s more than anything else. But still the '90s didn't have Led Zeppelin, the best rock band of all time... out of these choices I'd pick all but the '50s and '00s. Such crap came from both decades.

Quote by PTJohe
I thought this topic was about rock music decades...

However, if this was about music decades in general, I would still have to disagree.

That was my point. Not very great for rock, which is why I wouldn't vote for it here, but a good decade. You gotta look past the mainstream and listen to the good stuff. Look up MGMT and The Fratellis.

OT: For myself, I'd say either '70s or '90s. '60s had some of the greatest bands our there, but there was a lot of stuff manufactured and shitty.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 29, 2010,
90's and 00's. 80's and before for the most part is incredibly boring.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I'm gonna have to go with the 1970's, considering The Stooges' Fun House and Raw Power are the epitome of rock music.
Quote by cornmancer
That was my point. Not very great for rock, which is why I wouldn't vote for it here, but a good decade. You gotta look past the mainstream and listen to the good stuff. Look up MGMT and The Fratellis.

OT: For myself, I'd say either '70s or '90s. '60s had some of the greatest bands our there, but there was a lot of stuff manufactured and shitty.

Im sorry, but MGMT is incredibly mainstream. They are still completely brilliant though.

There is both genius and stupidity in both the mainstream and the underground. It doesn't matter what genre or decade.

And ultimately this is just an opinion thread.

I picked the 00's because it was the only one I was ever really aware of. But I love aspects of all of them.

The 60's had fantastic folk and psychedelic (Beatles, Zombies, Donovan, John Denver).

The 70's had brilliant pop music. (Todd Rundgren, The Cars, Queen, ABBA)

80's had great pop and alternative. (The Church, Talking Heads, The Smiths, Pixies)

90's shoegaze and alternative. (My Bloody Valentine, Modest Mouse, Blur)

00's everything. (Ryan Adams, The Strokes, MGMT)
90s
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
The 1980's. Oh man...I wish I could have been around to enjoy its cheesiness. I'm listening to 5150 right now!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I guess the 70's. I'm not really into much of today's rock, like all the Linkin Park clones.
My vote goes to the 80s. Epically long wailing glam guitar solos are the best.
60's & 70's

EDIT: 00's are leading MGMT is the only good band from the 00's.
LIGHTNING
Last edited by | Lightning | at Aug 29, 2010,
I don't compare different decades, i like a lot of each.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
90's:
grunge
britpop (<3 Damon)
Elephant 6

To name three things that birthed some goddamn brilliant bands.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
I'd have to say 00's. Just cause there is a load of boring, generic music doesn't mean that it was a crappy decade. Some great metal has come out in the 00's and some awesome pop-rock bands, MGMT being one of my favorites. The 00's have probably been the most diverse decade out of all of them, there is still awesome music coming out of all sorts of genres now.
Page 1 of 3